Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM

86 posts, read 243,009 times

Advertisements

Normally, i will just throw the reciept in the shopping bag and leave the store. But last week, after shopping in Harris Teeter my 6 years old wanted to read the bill and I found out I was over charged for 2 differnt items( original price other than the advertised price on the shelf. Again today, same thing happened in Food Lion. Is that a common thing here?
Do I have to check every time??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei88 View Post
Normally, i will just throw the reciept in the shopping bag and leave the store. But last week, after shopping in Harris Teeter my 6 years old wanted to read the bill and I found out I was over charged for 2 differnt items( original price other than the advertised price on the shelf. Again today, same thing happened in Food Lion. Is that a common thing here?
Do I have to check every time??

I am often overcharged in Food Lion. I always make sure to check the receipt before I leave the store.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei88 View Post

Is that a common thing here?
It is a common thing EVERYWHERE. Always check your receipt. I've seen countless news reports over the years about how customers being overcharged by grocery stores is quite commonplace.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,674 times
Another thing at the grocery stores to be careful on is when they type the code in for the produce. I've been overcharged (and undercharged) when they've entered the wrong code because the cashier didn't know the difference between similar types of produce.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,567 times
Also check to make sure you get the correct change, especially from the self checkout kiosks. We've been shorted everything from a nickel to $5... (funny it never gives out MORE change than is due...)

Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times
Was at a Walmart last week and found Extra Strength Excedrin 100 count tablets regular price 6.99 marked down to 3.50 (plus I had a 2 dollar off coupon---yippee!). Anyways, got to the car and discovered I was charged full-price sooooo back into the store I went, the customer service verified the lower price but had no excuse why it rang up wrong....and this isn't the first time I've come across this in Wally World....as NRG said, it happens everywhere and often so as we battle the cost of everything shooting up, it pays to be vigilant....

Old 08-25-2008, 03:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
There was an article just last week about this. I'll see if I can find it, but several retailers in the area were fined for this. The article said that retail stores are randomly inspected for scanning errors. If they have a certain percentage of scanning errors, they get fined. I know one of the ones they said was the worst was Kmart on Capitol Blvd. I'll dig around and see if I can find the article. I think it was on WRAL.com last week.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Two stores pay fines for scanning errors :: WRAL.com

Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,425 times
Usually it's not scanning errors but the fact that shop staff do not take down special offer labels from the shelves after the offer has ended and the prices have been changed on the computer Register by head office. I always check for errors on specials and probably 20% of the time the wrong price is charged - but I have never had a problem getting it corrected other than the hassle of having to waste time doing so which normally means taking someone to see the 'Special Offer Label' and get it removed. Several times HT has given the goods free of charge which is a good gesture

Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,116 times
I ALWAYS check my receipts to make sure I didnt get overcharged and that all my coupons were scanned.

Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods and Kroger has a scan accuracy policy. If its scans more than the marked, shelf marked, shelf tag (even expired) or advertised price you get 1 free. Walmart policy is a bit different. They will give you the item free if its under $3 or take $3 off a more expensive item. If they dont offer you a free item, ask them for it (esp at Walmart). Im not sure what Targets policy is, I havent had issues there. I rarely shop at FoodLion, so I dont know their policy either.

This is something that happens everywhere. It often happened in MA and I often happens here in NC

Most recently I got Electrasol tabs free at Lowes Foods. They forgot to remove an expired sale tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products