Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times

Advertisements

I recently went to the Nordstrom on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. Maybe I failed to see the legendary customer service? Maybe it was the fact that the dressing rooms were rather dirty for an upscale department store? Maybe it was the sticker shock of paying Chicago prices for clothing? Either way, I was a little underwhelmed by my experience at this Nordstrom. I felt like I could get the same quality product across the street at the Eddie Bauer flagship store for half the price. Are all Nordstrom's this way, or is it just this one?

Also, the store looked like a cross between my local Macy's and Sears (the later has an open floor layout in it's clothing section like Nordstrom's). Is there any reason whatsoever for me to ever venture out to an upscale store again if all it carries is a status symbol? If that's the case, I'll continue to go to the local Macy's/Eddie Bauer/Banana Republic for clothing. I'm hoping my experience at our new Von Maur is better. Would anyone consider Von Maur superior to Nordstrom in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
What's a Von Maur?

I think your Nordies experience was just a bad one. The Nordies I shop are clean, have excellent customer service and are nothing like a Macys or Sears. The one you went to maybe just wasn't up to par. I think you can go to the Nordstrom website and make a comment.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
I think you might have just gotten an older one or something. In the Detroit Metro area the new Nordstrom's is like the most upscale and expensive place that you can shop at. I have went into my Nordstrom's at Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi and only bought a few things (sunglasses, shoes) but WOW it really is the most elegant department store in Michigan.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,772 times
Dexterguy, have you been to Laurel Park Place in Livonia? It has Von Maur and Parisian, which are excellent stores. Laurel Park Place used to have a Jacobson's before they went out of business (at least in Michigan).

Parisian and VonMaur are quite upscale, like Nordstroms, and they have really good sales. I don't think Nordstrom's is necessarily overrated, they just aren't conveniently located for me and I can't see driving a long distance to shop in one store.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
What's a Von Maur?
From the way it's been pitched here, I'd say something like Nordstrom in terms of some offerings, prices, customer service, and store build. They also are regional to the midwest where as Nordstrom has become a national chain. However, most of my knowledge of that chain only comes from wikipedia.

It's good to know that I was probably only having a bad experience. I know I may sound finicky, but the thing that probably irked me the most was the state of the dressing room area. Maybe they where just busy and behind on cleaning merchandise?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM

102 posts, read 338,408 times
Default miss Laurel Park Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Dexterguy, have you been to Laurel Park Place in Livonia? It has Von Maur and Parisian, which are excellent stores. Laurel Park Place used to have a Jacobson's before they went out of business (at least in Michigan).

Parisian and VonMaur are quite upscale, like Nordstroms, and they have really good sales. I don't think Nordstrom's is necessarily overrated, they just aren't conveniently located for me and I can't see driving a long distance to shop in one store.
I love shopping at Laurel Park Place. Don't forget the VonMaur and Parisian shoe rooms! This is the place to shop day after Thanksgiving, too!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Two things about our society and economy - times have changed. The Nordstroms I have gone to are impeccible with excellent service. You get even better service if you are about to pay many thousands on a gown - far more personalized attention.

And secondly, we are a whinning, complaining society of spoiled people.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 AM

220 posts, read 1,109,458 times
I have never had poor service at a Nordstrom's. I've shopped at some of the west coast stores and the NOVA, DC stores and never had a problem. The stores are clean and upscale. My local Nordstrom is small, however I always get a thank you note from the sales person from whom I make a purchase. Even when I shop in the children's shoe dept. for my nieces I receive a thank you note within a week. I only wish my local store was larger.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Overall, I love Nordstrom! I used to go to their fashion shows that they used to have about every season on Sat mornings before the mall opens, but they stopped the shows about several yrs ago. (It seems like after 9/11, they stopped...I don't konw if that had anything to do w/ it or not )

I can't really afford half of their stuff, but that's ok, I still like them. I've gotten a lot of stuff on sale throught the yrs.

Nordstrom Rack is nothing like the store & although they claim to have things that the actual Nordstrom had, which I do remember a couple of things, overall the Rack carries some funny made merchandise.

I have a Nordstrom Platinum VISA card & they give you a $20 gift certificate for every $2000 I spend at Nordstrom & every place else. I think that's pretty lousy, but I guess it's better than nothing!

They just remodelled my closest Nordstrom & it's really nice.

I even briefly worked in the kids shoe dept for a few mos yrs ago.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Nordstron is not what it once was, that's for sure. The service is lackluster and their stores are not nearly as clean as they once were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products