Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,290,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I am an extremely courteous shopper. I put things back if I decide I don't want them, I take my cart back, I say please and thank you, my phone is on vibrate and I never talk on it in line.

However, one thing I won't do is bag my own groceries, unless it is at a store where you do that (Like Aldi, Save A Lot, etc). Why? Because I am paying those prices to have you do it. Sounds crazy, I know, but, I'm not a bagger. Never have been, never will be. I don't want to do it. I will, on occasion, help , if I am in a hurry. However, I really feel that people there are getting paid to provide that service, and I would like that done.

Sometimes, it is almost like they are giving you dirty looks because you aren't helping. Sorry, pal, but, that is your job. I don't run out when the garbage man comes and help him empty the cans. I dont go down to the mailbox in my Apt Community and help him sort the mail. The list goes on.

While I agree people should be courteous, but that is one thing I cannot agree on
I don't bag because I'm too busy watching the prices of what I'm buying go up on the register screen. I've been burned one time to many by the cashier rigning something up 2 or 3 times in error, or a price that's way off. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,319,509 times
For the clerks: I expect a "thank you for shopping at XXX"!!! I just dropped $120 in the grocery store you work at.... I could have spent that $$ in some other store. A thank you is in order!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,457,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
For the clerks: I expect a "thank you for shopping at XXX"!!! I just dropped $120 in the grocery store you work at.... I could have spent that $$ in some other store. A thank you is in order!!!

I totally agree. It doesn't hurt the cashier one bit to look each customer in the eye, smile and say thank you for shopping with us today. A small gesture like that goes a long, long way.

For those of us who work in retail, our customers are our bread and butter.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,290,104 times
I hate when I say 'thank you' and I get back 'no problem'. Of COURSE it's not a problem. It's your job! How about 'you're welcome'???

Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I hate when I say 'thank you' and I get back 'no problem'. Of COURSE it's not a problem. It's your job! How about 'you're welcome'???
ITA. And frankly, what happened to them thanking us? When I worked in retail, we thanked the customer. Now when I shop, I get "here you go" as they hand back reciept/change/card/bag...., I'm the one that says "thank you" and then get "no problem"....something is not right here.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,845,744 times
Most cashiers are on autopilot since their job is to ring up your purchase handle the transaction with ease if at all possible and head to the next customer. Wash rinse repeat.

Take a good look at the store where you are shopping. Does it offer personalized service? Are you at Wal-Mart, the home of No Frills 'get items make your purchase and get out' shopping? Look at the cashier stations are they set up like a row of horse racing gates or cattle shoots? If so you are lucky you get a hello from the cashier. You can't expect exceptional service from a company who sets up its cashiers like a cattle shoot. Because that is exactly why they set themselves up like that... to shoot the customers through. Groceries, Wal-Mart, Target it is all aimed at getting you and your purchase out the door without fuss.

http://www.thegatenashville.org/html/modules/wfchannel/images/startinggate.jpg (broken link)

When I worked at a few amusement parks locally they had the "You are not to be behind the register unless you are helping a customer with making a purchase" approach to the job. We were to be out and about with the "guests" or cleaning and straighting up. when I worked at Target. I learned that it was get em in and get em on thier way So you stay within mere feet of your register.

You can always tell what type of service to expect by looking at how the cashier area is set up. Learned that years ago. If they face out toward thier door then they want you to come and have a fast easy get away. If they are in the back of the store they want to walk all through the store and possibly see other items on the way out for impulse buys.

Just think about where you are shopping and how the registers are set up. You might start to think about how that company REALLY sees its customers.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,764,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
A lot of times I don't say that but I try my best to say, "You have a good night" or "You have a good afternoon" and sometimes people even mock me when they say, "You too" back to me.

Sometimes I'm like, "Danged if I do...danged if I don't."

Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Quote:
sometimes people even mock me when they say, "You too" back to me.

How is saying "you too" mocking you? If someone says that to me, I will typically say, "thanks, you too". I would be horrified if they believed I was mocking them!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,764,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

How is saying "you too" mocking you? If someone says that to me, I will typically say, "thanks, you too". I would be horrified if they believed I was mocking them!
Trust me, you have to be there. It's all in the WAY they say it. It's not that they're saying "you too" that is mocking.
I know when people are mocking me and when people are being sincere.

Others are just like, "Uh huh...yeah.." and things like that.

I was having a good chat with a customer last night and when I told her to have a good night, I could tell she was very genuine in wishing me the same.Customers like that make my night.

I get a lot of compliments for being polite and friendly. Apparently a lot of the other cashiers don't say anything to the customers, are rude, etc.
I've had my fair share of rude cashiers but since I now am a cashier...eh...I can sometimes see why they might have been.
When someone is rude or blows up at us , we don't get ot just go cool off or anything.

I'm not a perfect cashier but I try to do my best.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 AM

426 posts, read 1,280,835 times
Default Please DONT

I worked at the service desk and as a cashier for six years. The one thing that bothered me the most was this, and it happened several times. It would be a 90 degree day and usually a big sweating woman would be in my line and pay me with a wad of bills that she would pull out of her bra. Nice and sweaty money.
I personally don't think that having to expose myself to someone elses body fluids is a part of the job.
Not to mention peoiple that cough and sneeze right in your face. That happened numerous times.When I was behind the service desk, I did not care,as soon as they walked away, I grabbed the can of Lysol and gave the area a spray, and hoped they saw me do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products