Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,209,803 times

Advertisements

What a nice post , ms jack. You explained everything so well & did so in a very nice way. Extra reps....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM

15,112 posts, read 27,591,567 times
I overheard this one the other day: a customer goes up to the sales person and says: "There is a mark here, the other guy told me I can get 20% off" Sales people, as a rule, don't have that discretion, most stores will mark that as damaged - don't make up the fact that someone told you some percentage. (especially when it is likely you made a mark/stain that you know will come off).

Old 06-08-2009, 11:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,984,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I overheard this one the other day: a customer goes up to the sales person and says: "There is a mark here, the other guy told me I can get 20% off" Sales people, as a rule, don't have that discretion, most stores will mark that as damaged - don't make up the fact that someone told you some percentage. (especially when it is likely you made a mark/stain that you know will come off).

people do this all the time, they request you do something for them a certain way and then when you tell them you cant do it they say " they did it for me before" or "they did it last time", I know they lie when they say that.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 PM

when I handle rude or annoying customers or customers that try to make you feel like they are in a rush I will delay them and take my sweet time or I will just tell them that we are out or cant do it for them depending on the situation.

If you are nice and respectful I will go out of my way to help, if not I wont really help much and usually make sure you dont get what you want.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
A lot of times I don't say that but I try my best to say, "You have a good night" or "You have a good afternoon" and sometimes people even mock me when they say, "You too" back to me.

Sometimes I'm like, "Danged if I do...danged if I don't."
I know what you mean, sometimes I will look a customer strait in the eyes and ask if they need help, sometimes they dont even reply, they act like they dont hear me. So then I ignore them or leave for when they do need help, Im very careful though about my job.

I thought when someone talked to you it was common sense to respond, even a dog will usually respond.

there have been a few times too that a customer will almost hit me with their cart, I swear these people dont wanna let you walk by to do your job, one day Im gonna catch one of them in the parking lot.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,841,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
when I handle rude or annoying customers or customers that try to make you feel like they are in a rush I will delay them and take my sweet time or I will just tell them that we are out or cant do it for them depending on the situation.

If you are nice and respectful I will go out of my way to help, if not I wont really help much and usually make sure you dont get what you want.
not just picking on you but you did bring up the subject which got me thinking. I know several people who take this approach to customer service. I cannot agree with this type of passive aggressive approach.

My theory is simple; why lower oneself to thier level? when one plays to thier annoyances in such a way like a petulent child would, it is my belief that it creates a more annoying customer in the process and only causes more grief and troubles ( not to mention stress) for both parties. No one needs that, not the representitive nor the customer.

My answer is simply to just keep to a higher standard and not lower myself to thier petty spat. If they do not have the suffecient time to allow me to take care of thier situation I calmly explain to them that this will be taking some time and appologize. I will even go so far as to explain how long it might take. I would not do it out of spite because of the way a customer acts or demands.

When I hear reps say things that they will not help, or do things to deter or even respond out of spite I can only think that the rep should look for another line of work. child-like behavior only creates poor customers.
I guess that is why I have been with the company I have been with for 15 years now. Most all our reps do not treat our customer like they do not deserve our best even if they are difficult. We do what we can for each customers even those who abuse the system.

that is not to say we do dislike those who demand, miss-use, act like a unruly child. What we do not to is take it out on the customer. We instead hold little gripe sessions in the break room or elsewhere as need to let off steam and share our sorrows with each other for support and ideas.

just something for others to think about.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 991 times
Don't go into a high end boutique and complain how expensive the items are to the sales associate, you look very tacky and bitter. If you can't afford it, fine, but when you say comments like "I wouldn't pay that much for that" or "who buys this stuff", sarcastically!!!!! PEOPLE HAVE MONEY AND DO BUY EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS!!! If your not going to buy, than why did you come in anyways???!!!!
The reason why you look tacky is because, the next lady or gentleman who walks in after you, will pull his/her credit card out and buy it!!! When you whisper to your friends, just slightly loud enough for the associate to hear you and say, "look how expensive, that's ridiculous" - You look tacky, because you are basically saying you are to cheap or just does not have the bank, not only to your friends, but to everyone in the boutique. It comes across you are jealous because other people have tons of money to spend on anything they want and YOU don't. Please don't waste your time or others by going into a expensive boutique, just to complain how much money you don't have.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,132,324 times
There were some complaints on here from supermarket cashier, expecting customers to help with bagging. My question is this: Where have all the baggers gone, anyway?? Used to be, every register had a cashier as well as a bagger (usually someone with Down's Syndrome, hired through Goodwill or Salvation Army. It was a great way to give them some self-esteem and self-reliance.) Come to think of it, why are there like 15 cash registers in a given store, but only say, 8 of them open?

Another complaint on here was from a cashier whose customer fished out cash from her bra. Well I recall as a customer getting some rude hassling from a bank teller once when I went to the bank wearing a sports bra and took my cash to deposit out of it. When I handed it to the teller with my deposit slip, she b*tched, "That's so unsanitary" I couldn't believe the nerve of her lecturing me like that, or the inanity of such a comment. I just stood my ground, had a staring contest with her and she had to deposit my cash. What I should've done, having thought about it after the fact, would've been to say, "Sorry, next time, I'll just carry my money in the bottom of my sock.
Hell, it's not like she was gonna be handling food soon after that. What the hell is so 'unsanitary' about the money being next to my chest/boobs, anyway?! I wasn't sweaty and I wasn't lactating - it's just a chest, get over it! Besides, lots of my cash was picked up from a dirty stage, bar floor and even a filthy restroom floor after it fell from my thong at work back then. Not to mention some of the customers paid me with money that they kept down in their sweaty boots. Did I lecture them? Hell no, I just wanted the cash. Money IS unsanitary, wherever it was carried, because you never know where it's been before you got it. I can't believe her self-righteousness, and from then on, I deliberately avoided her when it was my turn in line, and went to the other teller. Common sense dictates that if you handle cash regularly, that you be in the habit of washing your hands well before eating anyway.

Last edited by temazepam; 06-10-2011 at 12:27 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 AM

19,335 posts, read 9,418,862 times
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08
A lot of times I don't say that but I try my best to say, "You have a good night" or "You have a good afternoon" and sometimes people even mock me when they say, "You too" back to me.

Sometimes I'm like, "Danged if I do...danged if I don't."

================================================== ==========
Oh no... sorry... forgot to say, after you get off work. Silly me.

<LI class=g>
Brian Regan: You, Too | Brian Regan | Jokes.com

Feb 24, 1992 ... Jokes.com - You ever say a phrase you say all the time at the wrong time, feel like a complete idiot? Something like, You, too. You, too.
www.jokes.com/funny/brian+regan/brian-regan--you--too - Cached - Similar

Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,906,943 times
This is for the poster in the first few pages who got irate when workers didn't immediately give up their breaks/delay going home in order to help him.

Breaks in most places are set up to stagger so that they are evenly dispursed throughout the day. So if an employee stops to help you (no matter what you say, customers that do this NEVER have a quick easy question/solution) that puts the next employee in line for break off schedule, and on and on it goes like dominos.

Also, a worker who is not on the clock has zero obligation to glance in your direction, let alone help you. I always want to ask customers with this attitude how much they would like it if I came to their offices and demanded to be helped when they are done for the day. I also know what would happen if I even tried. No service. Closed is closed and off the clock is off the clock. Just like you.

I actually had a customer give me spit once for not jumping to attention when I was on a break once. I was obviously on a break with my food & drink in front of me. I asked him if he got breaks at his job and he actually said "Of course, but this isn't a REAL job"

I would venture a guess that the reason threads like this exist are because of the huge volume of sucky customers. 50 years ago when civility was the social contract, you didn't have rude customers or rude employees. Or at least not as many of them.

In fact, this "customer is always right" nonsense is the main reason I quit working front line customer service. People have become so spoiled to the point I'm surprised ANYONE is willing to work customer service anymore.

Ok..I'll add one to the list, and this comes just as much from the point of view of customers:

How shall I word this ..hmmm...ok. Certain cultures seem to feel the need to bring the entire extended families on mundane shopping trips. Not only is this completely unneccessary but it crowds up the aisles to where you just CANNOT get past these massive groups of people.

Dad needs to stay home with the 6 kids and the great aunts and grandparents just do NOT need to be there all at the same time. Make lists of what the other family/household members need or want before you leave for the store and then go ALONE. Or with one other person MAXIMUM.

Millions of customers and employees will thank you for it.

Last edited by Bandon; 06-14-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products