Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:39 PM

119 posts, read 865,283 times

Advertisements

I loved working in a department store. I really could care less if a customer was on a cell phone and didn't see it as an insult to me as long as they handed me their credit card or paid me.

I can understand how one would feel dismissed by it, but maybe some people are just shy and feel uncomfortable interacting with people up close and the phone is their buffer to keep them in a safe zone.

I had one customer tell me to f off because the coupon had expired, and I just smiled and said thank you have a good night, and went about my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
I hate when somebody is right up against me while checking out. Give me some space sheesh.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:37 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Is there going to be the other side of this thread where the customers tell the cashiers/employees what to do and what not to do?

For every instance of good service I get, I get two of bad service!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:27 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
With all those rules, are you surprised that so many of your ex-customers prefer to shop online?

Just askin'
Heheh, in my particular retail area, its rather difficult to shop online for this stuff. There arent any delivery grocery stores (that I know of) in South Carolina.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
I loved working in a department store. I really could care less if a customer was on a cell phone and didn't see it as an insult to me as long as they handed me their credit card or paid me.

I can understand how one would feel dismissed by it, but maybe some people are just shy and feel uncomfortable interacting with people up close and the phone is their buffer to keep them in a safe zone.

I had one customer tell me to f off because the coupon had expired, and I just smiled and said thank you have a good night, and went about my job.
You are a MUCH more even-tempered person than I.
I CAN'T say anything verbally back in that situation...but my eyes can give them the telepathic message "Yeah, same to you buddy".

Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
I hate when someone is right up against me while checking out too. Don't invade my personal bubble!
I worked in a retail environment... Since then, I will not answer my cell phone when I am grocery shopping, or shopping in general. Or at the bank, post office, etc. I will turn it on silent or vibrate.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
umm, let's see...

DONT:

-leave unwanted items randomly on a shelf somewhere, ESPECIALLY frozen and perishable items (do you know how much ice cream my old job had to throw away b/c of this? the second frozen goods starts to thaw, the quality is compromised, and some stores just dump the half thawed goods back into the freezer. my old job tossed it all out at a huge expense). hand the items to the cashier and they can put it back where they belong

-plop your basket onto the belt and expect the cashier to empty it out for you as you stand around and do nothing. cashiers at supermarkets develop a rhythm and often work faster if all the items are placed out of the basket and put on the belt. plus, it's easier to count the quantity when it's all laid out on the belt so instead of scanning each item, the cashier can just hit the quantity button and pass over duplicate items. also, please put the baskets under the belt, unless you're at a store like Trader Joe's where they tend to store baskets behind the cashier

-open food items and eat them as you shop AND then refuse to pay for them. I remember a lot of customers opening up snacks for their kids to munch on but letting the cashiers know this (I've had a LOT of parents give me half eaten bananas and apples and insist on paying double of whatever price showed up on the scale. my boss always just let them slide, what's an apple or two if the kid isn't crying in hunger!). this isn't really a major issue (at least at my old job, some stores may get pissed off at you for doing this); it's the people who do so in an attempt to get free food. the workers will catch on and kick you out. plus, it's just outright stealing

-make a plate at the hot foods or salad bar, or order cooked foods/deli items only to then change your mind about this. I know, stuff happens and you may have gone over your budget, but these things are labeled w/ prices, so don't plead ignorance when you find out the price of the food you got. this food MUST be thrown out and costs money for the store, cots that will eventually trickle down to the consumers

-abuse the free sample table! this is a SAMPLE not a replacement for your dinner!! also, please use the supplied tongs and don't double dip, it's just gross

I swear, working in the supermarket retail business sucks worse than working in any other retail environment!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:15 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I swear, working in the supermarket retail business sucks worse than working in any other retail environment!
I think it's something about food that makes people hostile. I've had more hostile customers in 6 months of working weekends at a food service establishment than i did in 2 years of working full time at a thrift store.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I think it's something about food that makes people hostile. I've had more hostile customers in 6 months of working weekends at a food service establishment than i did in 2 years of working full time at a thrift store.
I know what you mean...and in return, those hostile people make me imagine throwing watermelons at their heads on a daily basis.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I know what you mean...and in return, those hostile people make me imagine throwing watermelons at their heads on a daily basis.
Aw, c'mon... thirty minutes or an hour of looking at food prices is enough to make anybody a little hostile. It's nothing personal, have some sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products