Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 AM

260 posts, read 946,745 times

Advertisements

My husband recently decided that we needed new wedding bands (I had lost mine and his was way to small), so he went to the big mall in our area and stopped by one of those "discounted" jewelry stores. He purchased 2 gorgeous "White gold" rings with some bits of diamonds in it. Now, today, I was bored and started inspecting the ring a little more closely and found out that the stamp inside of them says "GND 14K". What in the world does this mean? I tried googling and I wasn't able to. When he purchased the rings, he was assure by the sales person that they were 100% white gold. Please help..I'm very angry and upset and I don't want to feel like I been taken. I need to know so that I can go and try and straighten this mess out with the people at that jewelry store. My husband paid a fairly decent amount of money (for our budget) on these rings and I would be very dissappointed if they were fake. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
They're 14k white gold. The purity of gold (in terms of jewelry) is measured in karats. Pure gold is 24k gold.

Now, no rings could be made from pure gold and be "white". It's the alloys used to make the 14k that color it the whitish color. Also, no ring could be made from pure gold, period, and stand up to any sort of use. If they were pure gold, they would be so soft that you could easily bend them with your fingers.

Now, what 14k means is that by weight, 58.5% of your ring is gold, and the balance is the alloys within it. It's a very typical karat content for gold rings and jewelry. Sometimes you'll see 18k gold, which is 75% of the weight being gold and 25% being alloy. . On occasion you will see chains or earrings made from even 22k gold, but they are very soft. The GND is simply going to be the mark of whatever manufacturer made it.

So, you weren't cheated, you purchased 14k white gold rings, and if you go back to the store angry about it, you'll just look unwittingly foolish. Now, if they represented them to you as a different karat content, you would have an issue.

Last edited by RoaminRed; 03-20-2008 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 PM

Thank you so much..I wasn't sure if I was right or wrong.. in Colombia, my country of origin, gold is much cheaper than here in America and you can't really find things made with 14K gold...The jewelry I gotten from down there is always 18-24K gold. I was just worried that the GND stood for something like "plated" in 14K white gold...LOL...you know...you just thought me something today...I thought that pink, white or yellow gold were naturally that color..It never occured to me that the different color was a result of the alloy that jewelry makers used to bond it with..LOL...I guess I have a lot to learn, specially if I am going to make my WoW jewelry making priest level up..LMBO...now I'm getting off topic..LOL...But thanks again..

Old 03-20-2008, 03:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
Thank you so much..I wasn't sure if I was right or wrong.. in Colombia, my country of origin, gold is much cheaper than here in America and you can't really find things made with 14K gold...The jewelry I gotten from down there is always 18-24K gold. I was just worried that the GND stood for something like "plated" in 14K white gold...LOL...you know...you just thought me something today...I thought that pink, white or yellow gold were naturally that color..It never occured to me that the different color was a result of the alloy that jewelry makers used to bond it with..LOL...I guess I have a lot to learn, specially if I am going to make my WoW jewelry making priest level up..LMBO...now I'm getting off topic..LOL...But thanks again..
No, no...you're fine. Breathe easily and enjoy your jewelry

Old 03-22-2008, 08:23 PM

47 posts, read 652,490 times
GND might possibly be the manufacturer. I know some jewelers sell items w/ their manufacturers name/logo or whatever on it.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 53,666 times
I was recently in the same situation, I starting looking at a ring my friend gave me, and it was stamped with 10K GND. I looked on several different web sites and finally found GND jewelry super center. You have to register with them to view the rings, but once I did I found the ring that my friend had given me.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 AM
ehl

1 posts, read 52,456 times
I understand you to say "in your country" but I am sorry- NO country has rings of 24K gold because it is too soft and pliable for a ring. Since a ring is on a finger and used so frequently it is impossible to use pliable 24K gold for a ring unless the person had it special made and only sat unmoving in a spot to wear it. Just one tap accidentally onto a table (for instance) would leave a giant dent. Stones would fall out from prongs bent out within weeks (maybe as long as a few months) of use. 18K is pretty much the same but there are some necklaces made with it. Clasps are attached made of lesser purity gold for the same reason that a moving springy clasp would simply bend within a few uses. Usually 24K and 18K are reserved for plating over something stronger now.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehl View Post
I understand you to say "in your country" but I am sorry- NO country has rings of 24K gold because it is too soft and pliable for a ring. Since a ring is on a finger and used so frequently it is impossible to use pliable 24K gold for a ring unless the person had it special made and only sat unmoving in a spot to wear it. Just one tap accidentally onto a table (for instance) would leave a giant dent. Stones would fall out from prongs bent out within weeks (maybe as long as a few months) of use. 18K is pretty much the same but there are some necklaces made with it. Clasps are attached made of lesser purity gold for the same reason that a moving springy clasp would simply bend within a few uses. Usually 24K and 18K are reserved for plating over something stronger now.
I just found this post, lol...interesting, as I seen with my own 2 eyes jewelry made out of both 18k and 24k. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have seen it. The 18k and 24k gold is very yellow...much more than the 10 and 14 k...

Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehl View Post
Oh, yes! I own earrings that are made from 24 kt gold, and few rings also pure gold. You can find that kind of jewelry in Arab and India countries. Not very durable ( well, earrings are ok if you do not sleep in it). Sometimes you see chains made from pure gold.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jew...y/rings/51GG1/
http://www.kimghob.com/imports/home.php?cat=269
and many more

I would not call 8, 9, 10, 12 kt a gold product. There is just a trace gold in it.
14 kt ( or 585 ) about 50 % gold , 18 kt ( or 750 ) 75% gold , then 22 kt and 24 kt are gold products.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 50,607 times
There are plenty of 24 karat rings. They are just not very durable. The color is nice though. I bought two in Florida from a jeweler who sells to Asians, since Asians like 96 to 100% gold, even for rings. Also watched them being made in Thailand from a Credit Suisse gold bar, .9999 purity. You might also look at the designer Gurhan - they sell 24k rings at Neiman Marcus and Saks and elsewhere. Know your stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products