Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Wal-Mart is evil. That is all.
WRONG. I know first hand that Wal-Mart can be good for Main St. Recently, I went to the jewelry dept. of my east side Wal-Mart to get batteries replaced in a couple of my watches. But this time the clerk said they no longer replace batteries in watches they don't sell. Instead of leaving me hanging, the clerk directed me to go to a tiny shop on Main St. that specializes in clock and watch repair. I went there and got service on the spot. So don't paint Wal-Mart as all evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
My grandfather, a union guy all his life, would likely roll over in his grave if he knew I shopped at Wal-Mart and drove a foreign car, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do these days just to get by.

I've been shopping at Wal-Mart quite regularly for some time now but since moving to a town where there are two Super Wal-Marts and now a third one being built very close to home, I have expanded my shopping there to groceries as well due only to the cost savings.

I generally keep my grocery shopping there to the basics that I know are cheaper but still shop for produce and fresh meats elsewhere. I did, however, buy some bacon and a package of ground beef at Wal-Mart just recently for a casserole I needed to make that same afternoon for a party.

I ALWAYS check dates on cans, bottles and packages now as even the finest grocery stores often leave stuff out beyond their expiration dates.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:47 AM

136 posts, read 460,896 times
I echo alot of the sentiments on this topic. I mean don't get me wrong... I love fresh organic locally grown products from farmers markts and local groceries; but both during college, and where I am now, (young and starting a career), I just can't afford to do that. Additionally, the one stop shoping of a supercenter where I can buy veggies, socks and autoparts, all at once, saves me on the gas. It's capitalism at its finest folks. I continue to support local business whenever I can, but until I grow into a new tax bracket, I gotta do what I can, and on the cheap. Wal-Mart allows me to.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 AM

543 posts, read 2,310,535 times
In this economy I have to say thank you to WalMart. I buy my meat at a local grocer that cuts their own meat in the store and I can get it cut to my order. I also know the produce manager and know he is as picky about fresh produce as I am, so I know I am getting the best available. But for staples, WalMart is great. They have a great selection of frozen foods and you just cannot beat their prices on canned goods. Its also just about one stop shopping. Health and beauty aids, This kid needs a new shirt, another one needs socks, school supplies are always needed too.Great discount on books also. There is no markup on their books! I worked at a bookstore years ago, so I know the markup percentage. And only 1/2 miles from Wally's why not shop there? I know they are non union and DH is a union member, but hey his union wages aren't quite enough for the cost of living right now.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
Check out Target for everyday stuff. A lot of times, they clearance items way lower than Wal-Mart's sale prices! I bought a steam vac from Target that was orig. $120 and it still is $120 at Wal-Mart, but I paid $60 for it on clearance at Target. Also clothes usually clearance faster and lower at Target than they do Wal-Mart.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I shop at Walmart and make no apologies about it.
It saves me time, money and gas.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:12 PM

161 posts, read 693,196 times
I am not ashamed to say I shop at Walmart and drive a foreign car :P I love the Super Centers and the Neighborhood WalMart's aren't bad either. You do what you can when you're dollar doesn't go as far.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I don't shop at WM because I don't buy junk. I plan my meals for the week and make just about everything from scratch. No cans, no frozen, no 'convenience' foods.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
As intelligent consumers it's our duty to never separate ourselves from our ethics.
It is if you're broke.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
It is if you're broke.
It is what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products