Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times

Advertisements

Here is something interesting (I think), I have heard a while back....
I have heard (however..I can't confirm it, nor proof it, or back it up) that when a Wal Mart moves into a neighborhood, that it pushes the real estate value down on the surrounding buildings/ homes.
Anybody know anything about that, and how true it is/ isn't????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM

238 posts, read 823,843 times
I love Walmart. There isn't any other choice around here though unless you want to drive hours. I'm a working class single(divorced) mom at the moment and we rely entirely on my income. Walmart certainly helps stretch the dollar. Would I like to shop at mom and pop stores? Sure but it's just not finanically feasible for a whole lot of people.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 119,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleygo View Post
My name is Shirley,
I live in Weaverville,N.C. Since last April,2007 A new shopping center is to come to Weaverville, N.C. It was to have a Lowes and Walmart Supercenter. I was at a community meeting today, at a church about a mile from where i live, and two men brought up that Walmart is backing out, because they are going broke. They were asked where they heard it, but they would not say. If anyone know anything about it let me know. I was looking forward to it. E-Mail peacelily@cherter.net
Shirley, Walmart is NOT backing out of weaverville! It says in the weaverville tribune, that they received confirmation from both Walmart and the developers (carolina-group) that walmart is still going to open in 2009! Rumors are like wildfire, there are ones that you dont trust and think they are a lie, and ones that you believe.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
Wal Mart is by far the worst discount store.. their clothing is horrible, even for the kids!
There is no quality in anything and the customer service is beyond horrible.
Most of the employees act as though it is "our" fault that they are at work....
Horrible, only go there if we are looking for a toy for a bday gift and sometimes we drive the extra distance to go to Target just to avoid it all together.
I hear the SuperCenters are fairly nice,but have never been to one.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Exclamation i dont think so, I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Here is something interesting (I think), I have heard a while back....
I have heard (however..I can't confirm it, nor proof it, or back it up) that when a Wal Mart moves into a neighborhood, that it pushes the real estate value down on the surrounding buildings/ homes.
Anybody know anything about that, and how true it is/ isn't????
I heard that it doesnt depreciate it very much.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Smile i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganMustangGT View Post
I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I'm a Greeter at the Super Wal Mart in HagerstownMD and it sucks. We are the lowest paid in the store and customers treat us like crap.
Yes, I agree, I work at ingles in asheville nc (well 10 miles north of Asheville)as my first job, some customers are extremely nice and others DO treat you like crap! Sometimes I wish I could just go beat them up! lol.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Wal Mart is by far the worst discount store.. their clothing is horrible, even for the kids!
There is no quality in anything and the customer service is beyond horrible.
Most of the employees act as though it is "our" fault that they are at work....
Horrible, only go there if we are looking for a toy for a bday gift and sometimes we drive the extra distance to go to Target just to avoid it all together.
I hear the SuperCenters are fairly nice,but have never been to one.
The supercenters are extremely nice, I cant wait until the new one in weaverville nc opens this time next year, but from the looks. They have not started on the building work yet !!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times
Our county (FL) has FOUR superwalmarts, and especially in the winter with all our snowbirds, you can't find a parking spot, my opinion is that the superwalmarts are nicer, I shop every week in the same one and have become friendly with several of the gals that work there, many of those same gals have worked for Walmart for 15/20 years, and yet they still give a smile and a thank you for coming. In todays economy, with the cost of gas, and everything else, Walmart is the choice of many retiree's, young married couples......to make a buck stretch. But just this past week, I noticed that prices are climbing, Sam's water went from .50 cent to .58 cent a bottle and bread when from $1.07 to $1.16 so even there you have to watch your prices.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 PM

566 posts, read 603,813 times
Walmart: The high cost of low prices.

It's actually an interesting story.

Last edited by ILOVEOHIO; 03-03-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
Hate them. Walmarts are garbage. Made in China garbage.

I'd rather spend more money and purchase things of quality than waste money on "cheap" goods there.

You are not really saving money if the quality is lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products