Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:41 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
The last time I went to a mall, (we have three of them, within a 35-mile radius), was over a year ago. I don't like to shop in the first place, (I'm one of those odd females), and there is rarely anything in them that I want. When I did go the last time, I bought a ballcap at Old Navy, one of the few places that I will go to, on the rare times that I find myself at a mall. There really is a lot of junk in these places, entirely useless, and overpriced, in my opinion.

I'm one of those odd females too!!!!! I work in a mall, but hate it. The only store in our mall that I will shop at is Barnes and Noble. (it's the only bookstore in town) If it wasn't for that and the fact that I work in one, I wouldn't set foot inside a mall of my own free will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Just cuz stuff is in the Mall doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Go for the stuff you need and ignore the rest.

Seriously this is NOT a big deal.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, shopping is a compulsion for many. It's entertainment. It all begins because parents do not teach their children the difference between a "Want" and a "Need."

You need food, clothing, shelter, love, and self-esteem. Beyond that? Eh.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56
Has anyone gone over to the Mall and really looked at the things that were for sale and the incredible amount of money people will pay for these things. It seems so illogical and impractical in times like this.
Yes its all rubbish and people think its SO GOOD!!!!!!

Its disgusting to be frank with you on this!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
This is an old thread... but the reality is that malls are full of stuff because people aren't poor or financially irresponsible.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
This thread is over 6 years old and I think Malls have become worse. I don't enjoy shopping but occasionally, I might
need something. What I do miss is the selection. Inventory at major dept stores is down as well as choices. Also,
I just read shopping malls are on the decline:
The death of the American mall | Cities | The Guardian

Now there are so many strip malls and from what I see they usually have the same stores.....they all look alike
and you can be in anywhere USA.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 12-13-2014 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: error

Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Shrug.

I don't want the stuff, but someone does, or all those stores wouldn't stay in business.

On the plus side, there are a lot of people working as clerks in all those mall stores and I am happy to know that they have jobs.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
In an era of financial chaos, corporate cutbacks, layoffs, to much debt, and a falling stock market, I do not understand why there is still so much junk at the Mall.

Has anyone gone over to the Mall and really looked at the things that were for sale and the incredible amount of money people will pay for these things. It seems so illogical and impractical in times like this.

Ever been to one of those stores that sell only trinkets and gifts. They are usually found in tourist areas. There is not one thing at these stores that anyone really needs. What will happen to these stores in an era of rapidly falling prosperity?
I have walked up and and down the mall this holiday season and understand what you mean. Everything is expensive and the quality seems poor. A lot of what I see looks like overstock from last year. Mybwife and I.went to the outlet center in Williamsburg Va on Sunday and some.of the merchandise is ridiculously expensive. I went to the True Religion outlet store and couldn't believe the prices. The cheapest pair of jeans was $100.00 and one pair of jeans was $370.00.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:14 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter
This thread is over 6 years old and I think Malls have become worse.
Yes now even more than 90% right??

99%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 12:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I think I could at least put to use more than 1/2 the stuff I see in the mall...women's shoes: carry a couple with in case I need to throw one if I come across a threatening badger, a bra; could sling one of my shoes at a badger from a long ways away, scarf; sneak up behind a badger and...well, you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products