Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I'm with Twinkle Toes. I've managed to refine my "Oh dear, I've already got plans that day/night" to a fine art. So convincing.

At this stage of my life, I feel like I've been to every candle, cookware, jewelry, storage (etc.) party there is and they've gotten really stale. No new ideas, no originality, and certainly no bargains!

Having said that, I admit that if I like the folks who will be attending, and the stuff that's being sold isn't totally awful, I'll go for the socializing and make a token purchase. Good snacks count; booze is even better.

I worked with a woman who was (and still is) so into these home sales parties that it's the only way she socializes with anyone. If it doesn't involve her making money/getting free stuff from relatives, friends and coworkers, she's not interested. For the past 2 years, she has had a jewelry party every 3 months, because she just loves their jewelry, and hates to pay for it. She keeps inviting me and I keep inventing excuses. The jewelry tends to be cheap and gaudy. AND she has terrible snacks.

Yeah, I'm mean.
Those bad snacks will jump up and bite you in the a-ss every time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I'm with Twinkle Toes. I've managed to refine my "Oh dear, I've already got plans that day/night" to a fine art. So convincing.

At this stage of my life, I feel like I've been to every candle, cookware, jewelry, storage (etc.) party there is and they've gotten really stale. No new ideas, no originality, and certainly no bargains!

Having said that, I admit that if I like the folks who will be attending, and the stuff that's being sold isn't totally awful, I'll go for the socializing and make a token purchase. Good snacks count; booze is even better.

I worked with a woman who was (and still is) so into these home sales parties that it's the only way she socializes with anyone. If it doesn't involve her making money/getting free stuff from relatives, friends and coworkers, she's not interested. For the past 2 years, she has had a jewelry party every 3 months, because she just loves their jewelry, and hates to pay for it. She keeps inviting me and I keep inventing excuses. The jewelry tends to be cheap and gaudy. AND she has terrible snacks.

Yeah, I'm mean.

LOL. love it, about the snacks and booze!

I wonder if it's even worth it, these hostess pay for snacks, pizza, paper plates, some clean their house the entire day before. What for, $40 of free stuff? $80 worth of free stuff?

To those of you who host these parties, what is the most you've got out of it? And how much in sales did you have to get it?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:18 PM

750 posts, read 1,434,396 times
I just remembered what happened at the jewelry party I did attend a couple of years ago, hosted by the person I referenced in my previous post. I really don't know what came over me. Maybe she trapped me at a bad time.

Anyway, I went. Ooohed and aahed over the "jewels", played the silly games and ate the stale pretzels.

Then, the sales rep starts the spiel. Prominently featured: This jewelry company is a CHRISTIAN company, with real Christian values. OK, whatever. Now, she wants all of us in the room to host our own parties. She has all kinds of incentives for us if we sign up right then and there. I'm sitting there thinking of who I would invite, should I host my very own jewelry party. My two best friends are Jewish. Another is muslim. Throw in a couple of agnostics/atheists, and I'm thinking "they are so not going to appreciate this 'we are a Christian company' portion of the sales pitch.

I declined the special joy of hosting my own jewelry party. Not for all the tchotchkes in the world would I inflict that on my friends.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I'm with you, I do enjoy getting together with friends but I don't think any company should impose their religious values on someone. Not to get off topic but we declined going with a home improvement company because of that.

I have "done" Pampered Chef catalog shows (you just show people the catalog and if they want to order, fine, if not, that's fine also) - I like some of their products but only buy them when they are on special. The jewelry and home decor products....please, can we say KMart, Target, etc.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,399 times
I usually don't like going to them because I feel obligated to buy something even if I don't like the stuff. The only show I like to go to is Pampered Chef because I do like their stuff. But I went to a candle party, jewerly, home interior, makeup and don't like any of the stuff. Recently I went to a Southern Living party (I'd never heard of it), oh my was that stuff expensive let alone not my taste at all so I ended up buying a cookbook and magazine.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
And on top of everything else, we've got too much STUFF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products