Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,632 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is a bit of a rant, I'll admit right from the start.

What do you all think of home parties, the sellers, the hostesses, the people buying etc....?

I am asking because of a certain cousin who always has home parties. She has had parties selling various crap, but the latest is Lia Sophia.

She sent me a party invite, and I wasn't planning to go, but she trapped me and asked if I was coming and before I knew it, I said yes.

I went to the party and spent $54 for two pair of earrings and a necklace for my 3 year old because it was buy 2 items and get 3rd half price.

I want to know if anyone else feels this way. Are you part of one of these circles of guilt? If you frequently host these types of parties, what are you thinking? Why do you expect your friends to lay out money on crap just so you can get free stuff? If they wanted jewelery, or tupperware, or home goods, or a potato peeler, or foot products, or any of the other crap peddled by these people, they could just head over to Macy's, Bed Bath & beyond, Bath & Body works, or the rubbermaid aisle of Walmart and just buy it.

If you want something, go buy it, don't invite me over for a two hour sales pitch so I can spend my money and you can get free stuff.

The only home party I have ever enjoyed was an Athena's party. Now those are products I would not want to shop for in the store, so it is a party I don't mind going to, and if the host gets something out of it, good for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Kudos to you

Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,252 times
I happen to love these types of parties, both attending them and hosting them. Been doing it for years. Maybe it's a culture thing. Most Latin women love to do these types of parties. And yes, I sell that Tupper stuff too. And no you can't buy that quality at the store. Sorry. You'd be surprised how many people LOVE to attend home parties. I am one of them

Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
I hate them, and decline any and all invitations! Just learn to say "No, thanks"! Once you start doing it, it becomes easier and easier! And not just to home parties--to ANYTHING that doesn't thrill you! You'll be surprised at how much stress you can get rid of when you aren't doing things you don't really want to!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
I never get suckered into these kinds of things. I always have a way to weasel my way out. A little something like this: "I already have plans, sorry." I have a friend who is actually making a lot of money selling Cookie Lee jewelry and she keeps trying to get me to do it. She's a great salesperson/party planner. I'm not. She's persistent, but on the other hand, I am too - with my rejections.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:56 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,382 times
I like going, gives me a chance to snoop for NEW things. NOONE makes you buy things.
Matter of fact going to a Pampered Chef Party on the 18th

Old 10-07-2008, 07:05 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,545 times
I typically dont like them and I am very honest and say no, I dont want to go.
Although sometimes I will go just as an excuse to do something different and will end up becoming the life of the party, but still not buying anything. It used to be that you could get really good deals comparible to store bought items when you attended a party. The last couple I have gone to that was not the case.

With that being said, I always go to tupperware parties. typically I only buy a sale item. Tupperware is fantastic! I just threw away a 30 yr old bowl because I screwed up the lid and dont know any tupperware people where I live now. I have heard pampered chef has real quality items as well, but have never bought one.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM

24,457 posts, read 25,991,550 times
They are pretty much out of fashion in my neck of the woods.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Yes, tupperware has really run its course....out of fashion here too.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,528 times
I'm with Twinkle Toes. I've managed to refine my "Oh dear, I've already got plans that day/night" to a fine art. So convincing.

At this stage of my life, I feel like I've been to every candle, cookware, jewelry, storage (etc.) party there is and they've gotten really stale. No new ideas, no originality, and certainly no bargains!

Having said that, I admit that if I like the folks who will be attending, and the stuff that's being sold isn't totally awful, I'll go for the socializing and make a token purchase. Good snacks count; booze is even better.

I worked with a woman who was (and still is) so into these home sales parties that it's the only way she socializes with anyone. If it doesn't involve her making money/getting free stuff from relatives, friends and coworkers, she's not interested. For the past 2 years, she has had a jewelry party every 3 months, because she just loves their jewelry, and hates to pay for it. She keeps inviting me and I keep inventing excuses. The jewelry tends to be cheap and gaudy. AND she has terrible snacks.

Yeah, I'm mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products