Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,326,080 times

Advertisements

I don't drink and I don't smoke, but if I got carded for buying something I would be annoyed. I am clearly over 21, and having to dig my wallet out of my purse is somethign that I do not enjoy doing. Holding my wallet up is just as annoying becuase who knows what might fall out of it.

I think in MA they have to card if you dont' look 27 (wth? 27???).

I am not old enough for this to be a compliment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,009,688 times
[quote=Wandering_Spirit;6303385 I think it is much better when the cards have SEE ID on the back of them so the person does have to prove they are the true holder of the credit/bank card. I just thought this postal woman made too much of a fuss about the whole issue, especially since I had my ID with me and was more than willing to show her. Plus my ID was my licence which does have my signature on it. Gotta love the USPS and their never ending intelligence and customer service expertise.[/QUOTE]

You can do both , sign the card then write "see ID"

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,120,141 times
Call me crazy, but...

I do not see what the big issue is with showing it period. Personally, I almost always have it out when I am doing anything in which they may ask you for it. Makes their life easier.

Cashiers and waitresses are not doing it to make your life miserable

Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM

285 posts, read 613,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Call me crazy, but...

I do not see what the big issue is with showing it period. Personally, I almost always have it out when I am doing anything in which they may ask you for it. Makes their life easier.

Cashiers and waitresses are not doing it to make your life miserable
I don't know about other states, but in Texas it is the law that you cannot sell liquor or tobacco products to any individual who can't produce an ID. Age matters to a point but if a cashier or waiter asks for "proof of age" or IDand you can't produce one, it is illegal for them to sell to you. Period. Doesn't matter if you're older than Methuselah or 12. Believe you me, when I used to waitress, I would have much preferred not to deal with the aggrevation of customers who were put out by the request for ID, but if I didn't and Tx Alcoholic Beverage Commision could/would fine me or revoke my certification to serve alcohol.

So I just grin and bear it when necessary. Wish more folks would do the same.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,672,452 times
No big deal if they ask for ID I show it. Always have. And I am a lot older than the person asking most times. They are only doing their job.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,114,254 times
Most people should be flattered that they're still asked to show ID

Old 11-25-2008, 02:23 PM

620 posts, read 1,946,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Did you ever stop to consider policy? I'm not required at Lowe's to validate a photo identification if the back of your card has a valid signature that matches the name printed on the front of the card. If the back of the card is blank, then I WILL demand to see photo ID. If you give me a hard time about it with sighing and eye-rolling, then I go extra slow just to irk you even more. It's amazing the number of people who think letting someone see your driver's license is an "invasion of privacy." At Lowe's we HAVE to see your card no matter what anyways because our registers prompt us to enter the last four digits of your card number (I think that is in place to force cashiers to verify cards).

I go back to what I said the first time. Yes, if it is policy then I HAVE NO PROBLEM. Its when cashiers are NOT consistent with the policy that I get upset about. If I am in a line behind someone and I clearly see them paying with a debit/credit card and you do NOT ask them for ID and you choose to ask me for mine then I get upset. My cards are all signed with my signature too.

Its sad that you feel that the ONLY control you have is to go slow to irk someone even more. If you do not like the retail industry perhaps it might not be the industry for you.

BTW- I have worked RETAIL in the past so I can understand policy.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,666,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Most people should be flattered that they're still asked to show ID

I know I am. Honestly, if getting carded is the most annoying part of my day than I certainly can't complain.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:00 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,193,770 times
You all are lucky that you do not have to show i.d. to prove you're a "senior citizen" as I do.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,708,395 times
I never bought a whole lot of booze when I was 21........but did when I was 22-25 and never really got carded. Now that I am 26 years OLD...lol..I get carded sometimes and feel good about it. I bought some stuff that required ID 3 times in a few hours...and my 21 year old g/f was like "you never get carded" because all 3 times...even though she looks 18 and was with me, because I was paying they didn't card. Perhaps they thought I was her older brother? Ha, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products