Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times

Advertisements

I don't work FOR a retail store but I work in them (I'm a vendor/merchandiser) - but someone today tried to return a bra that she said she had bought back when Macy's was Hecht's (3 yrs? I'm guessing) - and she didn't have a receipt.

Seriously, would you try to return something you had bought yrs. ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,108 times
NO.

And in my family, I am known as "The Return Queen"

That is ridiculous.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 PM

I agree - I return also, I don't try on much (other than pants, and then I don't always) - but tops I pick up and try on on home, return if they are cut wrong, don't fit, etc. - but after YEARS? I was just stunned listening to this.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
A customer recently returned some pants that she had hemmed wrong, and worn for awhile...

she was SO NOISY that she got a full refund...

Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
No. In fact, if I buy something that I have second thoughts about, I'm usually too busy to even take it back, so I have a closet full of things that still have the tags on them. What I'll probably end up doing is playing a trick on myself. Put all those new clothes in a different closet in the house and pretend like I'm shopping! Then I can drag something back into my real closet and feel like I have a new blouse or something. I'm easily amused!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 PM

180 posts, read 793,830 times
No I wouldn't. It amazes me people do that. I used to work for a shoe store and people would come back with worn shoes after the weekend, after their kid outgrew it, or after a year or so. With or without a receipt we had to accept the return.

Any coinky-dink the company is no longer in business?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,545 times
I sure wouldn't but my dad would lol. He is famous for returning crazy things he bought years ago. One funny one was a jar of jalapeno jelly he had bought, tried, put back in the fridge and decided to return two years after it expired. And Publix did refund him although I think they do it because not only do they get a kick out of him after all these years but he is also very well liked there. If he was an ass everytime he went in they would most likely laugh him out the door.

I do think there are some crazy people who will return anything. I worked at Walmart as a teenager eons ago and you would not believe what some people returned. Worn panties that had not even been washed afterwards were returned more than you would imagine. Although I don't know what is worse. The fact that someone would even try to return some nasty vulcan crotch rotted panties, the fact that Walmart would accept the return or the fact that they were not disposed of and were instead returned to the dept to be rehanged and resold. On my first day I was warned by the nice lady working the fitting room to never ever purchase undergarments from there that were not pre-packaged. Yuck! Even my dad wouldn't try to return anything like that lol.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM

I worked at KMart when I was in High School, at the time the policy was "the customer is always right" - people would return things that at Zayre (remember that store?) tags on them, insist they bought it at KMart and we had to return their money.

I think many companies are in trouble because of return policies: KEEP your receipt people, if you buy something, try it on when you get home (if you didn't at the store) and return it within a reasonable time if you don't want it. If you don't have your receipt, you are SOL - donate it or give it someone that can use it.

I also remember about two years ago, I was doing a job at Kohl's and someone wanted to return a pair of stirrup pants....how long has it been since those were sold? Just have to roll eyes at some of the "valued customers".

(I don't think undergarments should be resold if they still don't have packing, original tags, etc. - I did have a problem w/two items at different times that were defective, but I had my receipt and the store damages the item(s) out).

Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM

We have so many threads I figured I'd hijack my own.

Today I'm in a Macy's - I'm a vendor (I don't work for the company but usually try to be helpful) - I'm speaking to an employee (not a sales associate), a woman walks up and stands there in front of us, the employee asks if she needs help - she proceeds to pull an item out of a Nordstrom bag saying she'd bought it at Macy's and there is a hole she assumes from a security tag. The employee points out the sales associate at the register in Intimates (NOT that far from the sleepwear section) and says nicely "The Sales Associate will be able to help you, she knows where the items are" - the "customer" first says, "that's a different department, I need this one" - I tell her that the associate covers both intimate apparel and sleepwear. The "customer" then states "I'm not walking up there to have her make me come back here" (in a very haughty tone) we aren't talking football field length people. What is up with some people? I have to give kudos to any on here who actually have to wait on customers. I'm sure it will only get worse as the season nears.

Just venting but I have realized that being a nice customer (which I like to think I've always been) goes a long way.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,603 times
A bra from 3 yrs. ago.........maybe she "grew" and it no longer fits I'm personally not a big returner. I did though just today return a pair of shoes that I bought Sat. at Nordstrom. Spur of the moment purchase and I really didn't like them when I tried them on again. If they were less expensive I would have put them on the shoe shelf with the rest of them that I don't wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products