Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times

Advertisements

It seems whether I need electronics, books, household items, I gravitate to Amazon. With free shipping for items >$25 and no tax in most cases, it beats retail.

Additionally, I look to reviews for guidance and write many of them myself.

Do you buy regularly from Amazon? Do you use other retailers like Buy.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
It seems whether I need electronics, books, household items, I gravitate to Amazon. With free shipping for items >$25 and no tax in most cases, it beats retail.

I buy local whenever possible. This type of retailing is ruining our country. I like to be able to look my neighbors in the eye.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:38 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
I do buy from Amazon. I find their service fast. I too also like the free shipping. With gas prices now, sometimes it doesn't make sense to drive to different stores to get what I want. I mainly use them at Christmas. I also buy from Ebay.

Usually if I am getting electronics I buy from a store because if something goes wrong I don't have to have the hassle of packing up the item to return it.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
I buy local whenever possible. This type of retailing is ruining our country. I like to be able to look my neighbors in the eye.

We don't have anything local. I either have to drive for over an hour to get a decent selection or buy online.

I love Amazon. I also like reading the reviews. At least when it's on Amazon you know it's in stock. Last spring I traveled over an hour to buy a camera that I decided to buy from Amazon reviews and the stores I went to didn't have it. I ended up buying it from Amazon. I should have stayed home and saved the gas.

Lisa

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
I don't have many shopping options locally, either. I buy books, DVDs, and electronics from Amazon. Never had any problems with any of them. But it's a good idea to hang onto the original packaging for a while in case you need to return something.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Yes, I buy from Amazon. I also buy from Ebay and and a lot of other online places. I don't have a lot of time to shop after I get off work and I don't want to spend my weekends shopping, so I get a lot of stuff online and have it shipped to me. I just bought a new vaccum from MyToolStore.com because I couldn't find this particular vaccum anywhere. I bought my barstools off Amazon because I looked everywhere and couldn't find any "Tuscan" barstools. Amazon had them and at a really good price too. I am also a member of DirectBuy and actually do spend a lot of my weekends in the showroom looking through product catalogs because I am STILL furnishing my house.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
I buy from Amazon.com all the time. I haven't looked in to Buy.com. I have an Amazon credit card which gives points. Gas, food, anything I can put on that credit card goes on there. With free shipping, I usually get stuff from amazon for free or a few dollars.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post

I've been buying from Amazon for 8 years and never had a problem with the sellers or the products. I get most of my DVDS and video games from there and a book from time to time.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
I've bought things from Amazon many times over the years. I buy things there that I can't find in stores. Most recently, I bought two books from them.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Amazon does have some good prices on some items, you need to compare. I've bought also from Overstock.com and was very happy with my items from them also (actually bought a bedroom set, it had to be assembled but it looks good and it's very sturdy). Ebay of course is a given I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products