Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,917,027 times

Advertisements

Isn't the point of "pick up" option so you don't have to feel obligated to leave a tip?

I'm serving as my own "delivery driver" except that extra buck or two stays in my pocket instead of going into theirs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,846,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I just tip everyone who works in hospitality... I just hope it puts some smile on their face or improves their day even just a little bit. That's enough of a reason for me.
NJBest?? You are THE best! Thank you on behalf of servers everywhere.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
I do have a question for those that think people who hand over the take out orders, etc. "deserve" the same tip consideration as a regular waiter/waitress.
Restaurant "servers" usually are not paid full wages. Generally it is an amount that is lower than minimum wage and is configured to factor in that the rest to be made up in tips.
The other category (sitting at a takeout window or behind a counter) are not paid that way.
If they also should be tipped, then why not the line cook? the cashier at the grocery store? All other (probable) minimum wage workers that 'service' you?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM

50,055 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I do have a question for those that think people who hand over the take out orders, etc. "deserve" the same tip consideration as a regular waiter/waitress.
Restaurant "servers" usually are not paid full wages. Generally it is an amount that is lower than minimum wage and is configured to factor in that the rest to be made up in tips.
The other category (sitting at a takeout window or behind a counter) are not paid that way.
If they also should be tipped, then why not the line cook? the cashier at the grocery store? All other (probable) minimum wage workers that 'service' you?
This is why it's looked down upon in Europe. It becomes this endless nightmare of tipping every single person you interact with on a daily basis. Not in a recession, no way.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,478,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Question:

What is the customary thing to do when you just Pick up an order? Do you tip? How much is the acceptable amount? Just a dollar? 10%, 5%?
If it is take out I give no tip ... I just pay them for the food which they get paid to make.
They gave me no other service to earn a tip.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,446,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
If it is take out I give no tip ... I just pay them for the food which they get paid to make.
They gave me no other service to earn a tip.
Ditto

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 PM

13,041 posts, read 20,698,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
First things first, not all "Take Out" orders are McDonalds or Pizza Hut, some of us use regular restaurants that offer this service. Applying the ‘sitting behind the counter’ to all take out service is very short sighted.

Do I tip at McDonalds? NO, Do I tip the Curbside Take-Away person? YES! For every reason you stated in your reasons for tipping servers. They are servers, waiters, waitresses, or whatever you want to call them. That day they may be assigned to the TO GO service and do not wait tables. But they perform many duties, for you, beyond just grabbing a bag and saying here you are. Read my first post and read why I tip these people. Geez, don’t lump all To Go servers into he same boat without know if all of them are in the same boat!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
First things first, not all "Take Out" orders are McDonalds or Pizza Hut, some of us use regular restaurants that offer this service. Applying the ‘sitting behind the counter’ to all take out service is very short sighted.

Do I tip at McDonalds? NO, Do I tip the Curbside Take-Away person? YES! For every reason you stated in your reasons for tipping servers. They are servers, waiters, waitresses, or whatever you want to call them. That day they may be assigned to the TO GO service and do not wait tables. But they perform many duties, for you, beyond just grabbing a bag and saying here you are. Read my first post and read why I tip these people. Geez, don’t lump all To Go servers into he same boat without know if all of them are in the same boat!
I would ask you to do the same.
My point was are all those people you mention that you tip paid the same as waitresses/waiters?
I doubt very much that a 'server' is going to accept being assigned to do takeout during any substantial part of their shift while being paid...what is it, $3 something?
And even if a 'regular' server is expected to grab your order and hand it to you....2minutes?....they are in no way doing the same work as when waiting on a table.
You can tip whoever you want...BTW....what are those many duties for us that someone assigned to takeout orders do that their base pay doesn't cover?
Do you have the idea base pay is supposed to cover nothing??

Last edited by old_cold; 09-11-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 02:39 AM

22 posts, read 27,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You "don't avail their services"?? Someone has to cook the food. Someone has to put it together, make sure you have all the things you ordered, the condiments, etc..
I was only saying that waiter does not deserve a tip in this situation. You are saying that still staff is providing services, someone has to cook; someone has to arrange dishes, and someone has to clean the mess, then why only waiters get tips?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,488,922 times
We have a Cheesecake Factory near where I work. I eat there often enough that I do tip the take-out/bakery staff. It costs $2, and may brighten someone else's day a little. I don't feel obligated to do it; I just want to be nice. Those jobs can be pretty stressful, especially during the lunch rush when the phone is ringing, people are waiting for their orders, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products