Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:20 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Advertisements

I won't tip for a takeout order. Since I had to drive over there and get it, I figure the "tip" was my gas money. Now, if they brought the goodies to my house, I woud absolutely tip them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 AM

347 posts, read 1,095,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I won't tip for a takeout order. Since I had to drive over there and get it, I figure the "tip" was my gas money. Now, if they brought the goodies to my house, I woud absolutely tip them.

Good Point!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM

513 posts, read 896,972 times
I never tip for take out food.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
we went to Applebee's for curb side pick up and didn't give a tip. I kind of felt bad but I did all the work, I order on, line no drinks, no prep, no clean up, it's like going to McDonalds or burger king. you order n pick it up at next window, so they bring to your car am I wrong ?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 AM

22 posts, read 27,225 times
Tip is paid for their service... As when picking up food you don't avail their services so tip is not necessary... I also never pay any tip in such conditions.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallaVandy View Post
Tip is paid for their service... As when picking up food you don't avail their services so tip is not necessary... I also never pay any tip in such conditions.
You "don't avail their services"?? Someone has to cook the food. Someone has to put it together, make sure you have all the things you ordered, the condiments, etc.. The ONLY thing they don't do is deliver it to your table or have to clean up after you. As a waitress I put together MANY to go orders and it's not like I could wiggle my nose and have it done. Some people tip, most don't, but it never bothered me one way or another. We didn't have to report to go orders into our sales for the day so we didn't have to pay taxes on money we didn't get. It kind of reminds me of people who don't tip at a buffet type restaurant because the server "doesn't do anything". They do EVERYTHING any other server does except deliver your food to you. They still have to keep drink refills going, remove dirty dishes and otherwise make sure you have everything you need. And then clean up after you leave.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post

What is the customary thing to do when you just Pick up an order?
No. It is not customary to tip in the United States for a pick up order.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
I have made it a hobby to learn a bit about the places I purchase food from, especially prepared meals.

Some places its catch as catch can as to who handles your order when you arrive. Other places, the person is dedicated to that spot for that day. You may notice this on certain curb-side pickups where the person who comes out and brings the food and handles the payment is the same person all night long. They have no ability to make tips for inside seating. If they are courteous, attentive and deliver proper service, I am not going to penalize them because they didn't come to me with an order pad in hand. Often times, they may be the same person who handles the orders over the phone or through the internet. Someone has to be aware and handling those orders. I once had a service person come out with a small bottle of water because I was a few minutes early and would be sitting there waiting.

I have even learned that some of the people who just look at bag tags and take payment also has to perform the tasks of properly bagging the order, making sure all the proper accessories were in the bad, and verify the order was correct. They are not in a position to collect tips except from those that pick up the order.

Each person has to decide on their own of a tip is given, regardless of the venue. For me I prefer to have some understanding before I decide not to tip based on some notion the person does nothing but hand me a bag.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I do a lot of takeout and don't usually tip. If I'm paying cash and have change I might put something in the tip jar though.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I just tip everyone who works in hospitality... I just hope it puts some smile on their face or improves their day even just a little bit. That's enough of a reason for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products