Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times

Advertisements

Frequently, rather that eating out, I would order food at a restaurant, be it Chinese, Pizza, Italian, Thai, Indian, etc.

Background:
When I eat out, I have the idea of 20%. As the night goes on, if they don't refill a drink, or ask how the food is, or give an update on my order, or give breadsticks, then their tip goes down a percentage point. 10 things that they do or don't do = 10% tip, for example. But everyone starts out at 20% counter. I will add percentage points, if they accommodate special requests.

Question:

What is the customary thing to do when you just Pick up an order? Do you tip? How much is the acceptable amount? Just a dollar? 10%, 5%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
When I pick up an order I do not tip. No one had to go to any special inconvenience for me other than walking the food in a bag to the counter. There were no drinks involved, no back and forths to the kitchen, no cleaning of tables or chairs, etc.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:11 AM

347 posts, read 1,095,026 times
You know, I wonder about this too. As I usually pick up and eat at home. I personally don't want to tip, but don't want them mad at me either, and spit in my food he next time- like I've seen in the movies. Call me paranoid!

So, I've been tipping at 10%. Since they don't actually wait on you while you eat, but they do pack your meal for you. Don't actually know if I should be tipping more..? Or not?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttrBug View Post
You know, I wonder about this too. As I usually pick up and eat at home. I personally don't want to tip, but don't want them mad at me either, and spit in my food he next time- like I've seen in the movies. Call me paranoid!

So, I've been tipping at 10%. Since they don't actually wait on you while you eat, but they do pack your meal for you. Don't actually know if I should be tipping more..? Or not?
I would answer you, but then I'd expect a tip.

No tips for take out. EVER.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
If I'm doing the work, why would I tip? Waiters and waitresses get sub-par pay and depend on their tips. Counter staff make minimum wage--there's no need to tip them. It irks me that every fast food joint now has "tip jars" sitting there--tip for what? Doing their job? Do you tip the supermarket check-out person? The guy who takes your toll on the highway? The lady who rings up your sale at Wal-mart?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 PM

161 posts, read 693,153 times
I don't tip for carry out and I actually work for tips. My reasoning is that in carryout it's kind of like dining in except you aren't being waited on. The only person really taking care of the order is the counter staff and the cooks, which don't get tipped. So I don't believe they need to be tipped for doing a job they don't get tipped for the other 95% of the time.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:55 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
I only tip a little if it's curbside pick-up, but only a couple of bucks. If I walk in and get it-no tipping.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I only tip a little if it's curbside pick-up, but only a couple of bucks. If I walk in and get it-no tipping.
Thanks for that input. I forgot about that one. I used to do pick up from PF Chang's in Rockville. Even though their accuracy rate was not 100% correct for 4 orders. They made up for it on the 4th order by making that one free and one dine in for free, too.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
the tipping thing has gone out of control. I REFUSE to drop any money into the tip jar at Starbucks. nope, sorry, I know how much you guys are getting paid, know you guys get very good benefits (hell, better than mine!), and I'm not giving you any more money than I'm already paying. it's not like I'm ordering really tricky drinks, but even if I was, I still would tip (Starbucks has made it their thing to customize drinks, I'm not going to give them more money b/c they didn't screw up my order). now I'm seeing these tip jars everywhere, at all these different take out places where you KNOW the staff there are being paid at least minimum wage, sometimes more

I only tip when I eat out and when food is delivered (I'm only referring to the food industry. I tip for other stuff like taxi rides, etc). I tip when I eat out b/c waiters get paid below minimum wage (oh boy, that's a whole 'nother topic, but I hate this system of waitstaff relying on customers for their wage. it's worse than commission sales!) and I tip delivery drivers since they're racking up miles and damage on their personal cars and may not be fully reimbursed for gas. other than leaving a few pennies behind, no one else gets any tips of any sort. tip jars should all be smashed to pieces and not even allowed (you'd think after all the lawsuits, Starbucks would prohibit the practice)

Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 AM

161 posts, read 693,153 times
I refuse to tip those kinds of places too Eeevee. I used to work fast food before the tip jars came out and during my employment, we could not accept tips at all as per company policy. It was considered stealing from the store and we could get in a lot of trouble for accepting tips. Why should I tip the people at Wendy's when I worked there just as hard and couldn't get tipped??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products