Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM

212 posts, read 821,682 times

Advertisements

Will you be cutting back spending for christmas gifts and how much do you pland to spend. Also in general have you cut back spending and in what categories have you cut back in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Yes we will be cutting back because we booked a one week vacation in Mexico for February and that's our gift to ourselves. Aside from Christmas, we've cut back on eating out at restaurants and have become more frugal at the grocery store. I also am planning on evaluating our cellular phone packages and moving down to cheaper plans since we never use the minutes that we currently have.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
No but I've never overspent anyway.

I think massive layouts of cash at Christmas is tacky tacky tacky.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Will you be cutting back spending for christmas gifts and how much do you pland to spend. Also in general have you cut back spending and in what categories have you cut back in
Gosh, this is the talk of the town. I've decided to spend only $150 and that's for 3 children....50 bucks a piece. That's it! I'm copy/cut/paste-ing poems or favorite old song lyrics in a pretty font and printing them out on cool bordered paper - and a dollar frame with some home made goodies - for my other family members.

This is the least I've ever spent on Christmas - and I have teenagers!

All around, yes...I spend so much less...well, spend the same but most of my money goes to groceries and gas so there isn't much left for anything else.

Weekly movies have stopped. Dining out once a week has stopped. Canceled all my subscriptions to magazines. Dropped comp/collision insurance since my car is paid for, got rid of the home land line phone and use my cell, no hair cuts or nails being done either...do it myself.

Needed some work done in the bathroom and I did it myself without calling a plumber. Yep, took me 3 hours to put in a new toilet....but I did it! Wax seal and all!

This is a humbling experience and just reminds me I should have been living this way...I've just been living the good life! Time for reality now.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:40 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
yep, we have no choice but to cut back. Things are so tight here. But thank goodness for layaway, we won't have to cut back too much!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
I am a bargain shopper, so I already have quite a few gifts for my kids, and all my shopping for the relatives, school teachers, etc are done. Now I just have to buy each kid a large gift. So no we won't be cutting back because of how I shop.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:22 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Yes. We just took a European vacation, so we have to pay off the credit card we used. That's plenty of a gift for me this year. So, the kids will get stuff, but they're so young that they'd be happy with a few modest gifts each. So long as Santa shows up to collect the cookies and leave something, they'll be delighted. Besides, the grandparents are all coming this year, so they'll be good for lots of gifts. I'll probably spend the money I normally would have spent on presents on feeding 7 adults and 2 children for a week.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM

488 posts, read 819,268 times
One word: regifting.

I go to two large gatherings - one on Xmas eve and one on Xmas day. I have unopened gifts from last year that I'll give to the Xmas eve group. Then I'll regift the things I get from them to the Xmas day group. Of course, if there's anything I like, I'll keep it!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
'Christmas'. Are we still allowed to use that word?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:08 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,990 times
Hell no, I'm gonna spend a few thousand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products