Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:07 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Gift cards risky in tough times | Business | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/story/571742.html - broken link)

I just received a letter from a cousin. I can't post it here as it is probably a personal letter to her..
On it was a list of stores that are closing, or downsizing, and not looking so swell.
This list is longer then I imagined. It has stores that I love on it.
I'm not a big Gift Card purchaser........I'd rather give a personal gift.
But, in the case of an older persons birthday I was going to purchase a
AmEX gift card.
I'd say there was a good 40/50 stores listed. I just don't want to throw money down the drain........I'm sure you don't too.
I'll try to make a list of the ones mentioned. But, give this some thought this year. Be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Info from a Consumer Reporter...

Ann Taylor closing 117 stores nationwide...

Eddie Bauer to close more stores...already closed 27 shops

Cache closing stores

Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherines closing 150 stores nationwide.

Talbots, J. Jill closing stores..shuttering all 78 of its kids and mens stores and 22 underperformers.

Gap Inc closing 85 stores in addition to its namesake chain...they also own Old Navy and BananaRepublic...its weighted toward the Gap brand.

Foot Locker to close 140 stores

Wickes is going out of business..Wickes Furniture closing all stores.

Goodbye Levitz/Bombay closed already.

Zales, Piercing Pagoda...Underperforming stores...50 kiosks and 55 stores.
planned for closure.

Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores . It acquired about 220 stores from Childrens Place...Childerens Place filed for bankruptcy protection.

Home Depot store closings E.Brunswick Rt 18 just put up their closing sign ..It is shuttering some stores. Underperforming US stores...within the next two months.

CompUSA Closed ...They did make arrangements with card holders and rebates, rain checks, etc. ( good honorable gesture)

Macy's 9 stores

Movie Gallery Reorganization plan to exit bankruptcy...will close 400 of 3,500 Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores..

Pacific Sunwear...150 demo stores

JC Penneys, Lowes, and Office Depot are scaling back......But still open and running

Spriint Nextel Cutting work force ...dropping the ax on 4,000 employees and 125 retail stores. Shares are down.

Wilson the Leather Experts...158 stores

Sharper Image...filed for bankruptcy

Bombay Company Freehold Mall closed...will clsoe all 384 US based Bombay stores..Online storefront has discontinued operations.

KB toys...356 stores are closing around the US as part of bankruptcy reorganization.

Dillards to Close more stores...under performers.

Ok this is general information, please do your own research before buying a gift card. Nothing worse then throwing you money away. I understand this info came from a consumer reporter. In this day and time, we have to be careful consumers. I regret any errors, but this is the information before me. I'd love to be wrong on every one. But, some I have read about and some are new to me. Careful with your gift cards please!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
I was just thinking about this subject last week. I usually throw in a gift card to a toy store to nieces/nephews along with the gifts that i've purchased them. Not this year. The older ones will get cash in lieu of a gift card, and the younger ones i'll have to pick up extra gifts in lieu of gift cards.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I usually send relatives a gift card. In the past, they have been for different restaurants. However, I think this year the cards might be for Walmart. I know that all of them shop there, and with the economy, I don't think Walmart will be closing any time soon.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Honestly, though, none of those stores on the list are a surprise at all.

I was at the mall today... and I would swear to you I may have seen 20 people in the whole mall that were shopping. I was the only person in Gap. There was no one in either of the Foot Lockers in the mall. Macys had NO ONE in there.

If you are going to buy Gift Cards, buy the Visa ones, or for stores that are not going anywhere, like Best Buy, Target, etc..

Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
All the Macy's shoppers are waiting until tomorrow and Wed. - big one day sales.

I think Gap is overpriced for the quality of what they sell, Ann Taylor also - they sometimes have something I'd like but I won't pay those prices.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
And the worst of all ... they closed the Macaroni Grill (restaurant) in Palm Desert! WTH??? It was always packed, had excellent food, reasonably priced, then a couple of days before it actually closed, there was an article in our paper about the impending closure. No explanation, nothing. Just gone. No more Sole Parmesan for Miss Twinkle!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Honestly, though, none of those stores on the list are a surprise at all.

I was at the mall today... and I would swear to you I may have seen 20 people in the whole mall that were shopping. I was the only person in Gap. There was no one in either of the Foot Lockers in the mall. Macys had NO ONE in there.

If you are going to buy Gift Cards, buy the Visa ones, or for stores that are not going anywhere, like Best Buy, Target, etc..
Well, I think Eddie Bauer is a surprise to me. I'm looking at a full page ad and a coupon for so much off in the Good Housekeeping of this month.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Gift cards are a waste. I do not advocate the purchase of them.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
In fact, just today I read in the paper that it is much better to give a check. There are so many stores closing and so many restrictions on gift cards that they are really not worth buying.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products