Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,588 times

Advertisements

It seems like whenever I order from online, or from a catalog, I end up having to send it back, either because it wasn't what it said it was, broken, or I just didn't like it. Sometimes it cost a bunch to send them back, and is a hassle! Am I the only one that likes to actually see what I am buying first?
Seems like alot of people are just ordering stuff nowadays because it is convenient but for me, not so because I still end up back where I started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 01:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I never really have problems and when I do;I shop at sites that pay for return shipping.Most you just notify the shipper and they pick it up at your house. they even supy the return labels.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
It seems like whenever I order from online, or from a catalog, I end up having to send it back, either because it wasn't what it said it was, broken, or I just didn't like it. Sometimes it cost a bunch to send them back, and is a hassle! Am I the only one that likes to actually see what I am buying first?
Seems like alot of people are just ordering stuff nowadays because it is convenient but for me, not so because I still end up back where I started.
The key to buying online is deciding before the fact, on what you want. A lot of electronics require restocking fees. Return shipping can be costly.

You could check out a product in the store first. Another thing to do but it requires too much effort, is buy it in the store, try it and return it - then buy online.

If you are indecisive on what you want, you are better off buying in the store.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,034 times
I gave up buying things on line. It's a rip-off. If you have to return the item, you lose a lot of money in shipping (you lose what it cost to ship the item to you, and then you have to pay to ship it back).

I bought a $55.00 sweater on line once, and it was way too long. So I returned it. It took the company 6 weeks to refund my credit card, and I ended up losing $14.00 in shipping costs!

The only exception to this is ordering from Sears, Penny's or Target. All of these stores will not charge you shipping if you have the item shipped to their store and you pick it up. And, if you have to return the item, you can return it to a store.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,599 times
You can buy online from Lands' End and return items you don't want to any Sears store. Any other retailer that has a brick and mortar store will take returns from online orders, one example is Eddie Bauer. Often, retailers will offer free shipping so check online for those kinds of "coupons" and buy when it's free. Macy's and Nordstrom also have online and store ordering.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
I know what you mean!

Orderd a bed from Walmart. They sent the wrong color and it was $140+ for shipping.
Home Depot sent a broken indoor shutter (yes broken) when I reordered the next one came actually packaged right-in it's orignal box and shrinkwrap. The first wasn't wrapped and you could tell it wasn't new.

But what's worse- even though they don't send you what you ordered (I didn't order that color of bed, I didn't order a broken shutter) they hold your money hostage.

I still haven't gotten my credit from Walmart or Home Depot although I have tracked the return items and they have them.

Just filed a dispute thru Visa for Walmart. Gonna give Home Depot 3 more days before I go thru my card issuer.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,024 times
I never have problems shopping online, but I usually only order from amazon

Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
2007- 100% of Christmas shopping on line
2008- 100% 0f Christmas shopping on line

I order numerous items throughout the year, as does my wife, on line from a variety of companies. I have had only two returns: a pair of boots that were ordered and were too small (my fault actually, I forgot that the particular boot company sized small) and when I got 3 items in the same package, only paid for one. The company caught that. Wife has had one bad experience with E-Bay, a broken item that was immediately refunded. It beats going to the mall, or even some local businesses. And you know, the e-companies have a better selection.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
I love buying stuff online because it gives me a chance to check prices and match things up without having to go from store to store. I've never purchased large items like furniture due to the high shipping cost, but I sure wish I could. Luckily I live in Orlando where stores are plentiful....we even have an IKEA store.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,220 times
If I can see it first in person, buy it cheaper and can get free shipping then I'll buy online. I like to see (and feel) what I'm buying and have made some costly mistakes ordering online or via pictures in a catalog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products