Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Several big chains have announced they will go out of business by the end of the year. So now come the liquidation sales. Could their bad luck be your lucky day? "Good Morning America" went shopping to find out.

ABC News: Going-Out-of-Business Sales Not Such a Bargain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 05:35 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
agree,
went to linen n things for their out of business thing going on here locally and found things to be pricier than somewhere else having a one day sale or what have you not.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Agreed, many seem to mark up their prices before they 'go out of business' so the discount isn't as much as what you think it would be.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:01 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Thanks John this is a very informative article
I stopped in our Linen & things to check out their
"going out of business deals"

I felt as if I was in a "carnival" there was this one guy on the store intercom system every 5 minutes telling everyone the great deals "because they were going out of business"

I even asked him if he was a L&T employee he did admit as the article stated he was the "liquidator" and they owned the inventory
At this time most items were only at a 20% discount and all sales were final and they no longer took the 20% off coupon .
So I could of gone right down the street to Bed bath & Beyond and gotten the same item for the same price using the coupon. rofl yeah I even told this to the "liquidator guy"

Right by the checkouts there was a small sign stating that "additional inventory from other sources" had been brought in for the "sale"

Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
Luckily I knew this already because I pay attention to price, and not big flashy signs stating 1/2 off, 40% off!

Like "Black Friday"...I've yet to see anything so great...maybe $20 off a $200 item...or $10 of a $50 item...not enough for me to go ape **** and stand in lines at 3am.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
I have been going into LNT weekly since they announced their closings and have not noticed one single bargain yet. I have long been a shopper of theirs so I know some of the prices of things I want and was floored to see how much higher the "liquidation" price was vs the original prices. Good deal my butt. And fwiw, I kind of resent having to pay off my LNT credit card. Granted I only owe around $ 100.00 but it sucks I have to pay them when they couldn't pay their own debts. In my little utopia those companies that go out of business or file bk should lose their rights to the monies owed by their credit card consumers. Why should we keep paying when they don't have to?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Well, Linens and Thing's Credit Card is owned by another company

Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
I know. I'm just sayin it annoys me.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:34 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,906 times
I too shopped at LNT all the time and was very disappointed when I saw you could have got the same discount with the 20% off coupons that I used all the time. I didn't have to wait for "liquidation sale".
The shelves are almost empty. Maybe the people that didn't shop there before thought it was a bargain

Oh, almost forgot to mention Mervyn's going out of business sale. What sale. They used to always have 60% off sales, now their sale is 40% off. Won't be back there anymore either.

Last edited by Bella52; 11-26-2008 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
ugh, the Linen's N Things sale was AWFUL! funny story: I went into a LNT over a month ago and picked up this cute bed sheet set. it was originally $45, but was on sale for $25, so of course I had to bite. less than a week later, I see signs that the store is going out of business, so I go check it out. the exact same bedding set I'd bought for $25 had been bounced back up to the original price (note, the original sale wasn't supposed to end for another few days, according to an employee I asked. I was planning on buying another set) and was now 10% off. you do the math. needless to say, that item was never marked down to the low price I got it for (last time I went to LNT, the store was about 75% empty and linens were only 20% off. that bed set still would have been $35)

funny thing is, the LNT I went to is less than a mile from a nearby Target and you can easily to a price comparison to see how the EXACT same items on "sale" at LNT were regularly at least $5 less at Target. I asked in LNT would do a price match on top of the discount and got a big no. the only thing I bought from there was some small kitchen gadgets that were 30% off (by then, a good 95% of the store was empty and blocked off. I got the last potato peeler for about $2).

disappointing sale all around and I have no desire to go shop at the other closing LNT in the city

I wish people, in mass, would hold off on these sales and force the store to further discount the prices, yet sadly, the store was packed even w/ the crappy discounts so that by the time the discounts got good, almost everything was gone

ETA: lol, I didn't even read the article in the link before posting my reply and it describes EXACTLY what happened to me w/ the sheet set! I'm still kicking myself for not buying another one when it was $25!

Last edited by eevee; 11-26-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products