Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times

Advertisements

we have bought house and want to add upgraded tv to family room (downstairs open to kitchen/breakfast--main viewing area)
we have gotten some local companies to give us bids on doing install for extra speakers throughout the house and installing equip like AV receiver and other items like making sure it all works so WE can use it...

they disagree on the model of TV for the main LA--we want a DLP--rear projection vs plasma or LCD flat screen--the entertainment center has the space because of the way it was designed and it can take up to a 65 maybe a 67 in diagonal--just depends on the model's actual width...

one person recommends a Mitsubishi Diamond 65" 1080p w/120 recycle
the other recommends a 61 or 67 in Samsung 1080p but it has a slower refresh...
we have seen the Samsung at Best Buy but can't find place to view Mits--think there is store in Southlake that might have it available--will have to go tomorrow...

have read reviews--most people are positive about the Samsung models
fewer reviews for the Mits because it is newer product...

I like the fact that the Samsung is more energy efficient
the Mits could have problem with the color wheel/fan noise

viewing angle could also be issue because of our wanting to watch from further back in our breakfast area or from kitchen while I am cooking...

anyone have either TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:35 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times
Depends. There are two types of Samsung 61's: The regular DLP and the LED DLP. I own the latter.

The older style of DLP has been reported as having issues with the color wheel, as well as emitting noise (as the color wheel needs to spin at high speed, apparently) and not lasting past a few years. LED technology is superior in many ways. In other words, if you're not looking at LED for either brand, I would change that first.

Next, I am quite pleased with mine. It has surpassed the quality of comparable TVs at higher prices. I bought mine as an open box from Circuit City; apparently the other owner didn't know how to configure it properly. They had the Mitsubishi down there but if I recall, it wasn't LED, so I didn't pay it much mind.

Samsung is a better brand overall as far as the HDTVs go. Mitsubishi isn't a big player in that market, they compete with price. If it's quality you're after, I'd say go with the Sammy.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times
Samsung is a better company. Mitsubishi is a lower tier product, thus the price difference.

Check out this site:
AVS Forum

Old 11-27-2008, 12:38 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,498 times
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Mitsubishi if the reviews were good and the price was right. My parents have a 37" standard definition Mitsu they bought around 1982 and it's still going strong 26 years later. Only been in for repair once.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Mitsubishi if the reviews were good and the price was right. My parents have a 37" standard definition Mitsu they bought around 1982 and it's still going strong 26 years later. Only been in for repair once.
CRTs last forever.

That was awesome. There is no flatscreen that will last that long (famous last words).

Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,684,654 times
I have the 65" Mitsubishi WS-65517. It's a great tv with a great picture. It's my second rear projection Mitsubishi in about 17 years. I sold the other one with the old house because it was too big to move.

Mine is built into the wall with a 5x13 closet behind it. The viewing room is 25x13. We sit 19 feet back from the screen. The picture is great from anywhere in the room.

I can only hear the cooling fan, or hard drive when I am in the closet. When I was originally trying to decide on a brand, I had a tv repairman show me a list of parts that he could order for different TV's. Magnavox was the worst with several pages. The Mitsubishi only had half of a column on one page. He said that those were the few parts that failed on it.

I can say that I'm a loyal Mitsubishi customer.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
the Diamond Mits is actually about 500 more than the Samsung--I might be "laser" technology and is 3-D ready which I think the Samsung is also--the part that interests me is that ithe Mits has the faster refresh cycle 120 --I think at some point my husband would be tempted to plug his XBox 360 in for that big-screen play and a faster refresh would be better for game playing...

we have an RCA big box projection tv that is more than 12 yrs old and frankly while the picture is not "awesome" it is fine and has only been to the shop for one repair ($50)--

What about the viewing angle for your Mits DLP--straight ahead is no problem if it is hung at right height--but what about side-angle viewing--we will have some seating to the right side in the LA and then will want to view from the breakfast area which is further back and a little more of an angle...maybe 20 degrees or so...

the entertainment center this will go in will have some fronting skirts around the sides to "box" the tv in--so there might be some buffering of any operating noise--
we will have the AV guy do the calibration and install the receiver and hook up all the parts--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products