Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2008, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
18,287 posts, read 23,121,144 times
Reputation: 41178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I bought my mom a $360 leather Coach purse at a store. She was happy. I don't celebrate x-mas in the Traditional sense. If someone wants something, or needs something, I just buy it. I don't need an occasion.
Thank you for my evening laugh titaniummd! In your status you say "Bail out the Middle Class for a change!" Then in your post you state you bought a $360.00 purse. I am not trying to argue with your choices but it sure gave me a pause to chuckle thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 PM
 
189 posts, read 709,114 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I bought my mom a $360 leather Coach purse at a store. She was happy. I don't celebrate x-mas in the Traditional sense. If someone wants something, or needs something, I just buy it. I don't need an occasion.
I'm not saying I never wasted money, but, shoot, there are people in this country starving and out of work for no fault of their own, yet people pay huge amounts for stupid stuff like purses. An under-$10 one at Wal-Mart does the same work as that $360 thing. Even if you are wealthy, you can still put your money to better use. Now you can tell me it's none of my business how you spend your $$$, but you need to hear what other people think of that type of spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2008, 11:00 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 6,435,774 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
I'm not saying I never wasted money, but, shoot, there are people in this country starving and out of work for no fault of their own, yet people pay huge amounts for stupid stuff like purses. An under-$10 one at Wal-Mart does the same work as that $360 thing. Even if you are wealthy, you can still put your money to better use. Now you can tell me it's none of my business how you spend your $$$, but you need to hear what other people think of that type of spending.
It's not a 'purse' it's a 'handbag' and it's not for practicality as much as trying to show off the fact you paid an obscene amount for it(see Hollywood influence) May as well just walk around with $ bills stuck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 12:44 PM
 
171 posts, read 270,027 times
Reputation: 58
I m mystified by the purse thing too but here is m y guess: it is a $360 purse(handbag), but of course she didnt pay that. she got it for $50. at least that s how i make sense of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 AM
 
189 posts, read 709,114 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I bought my mom a $360 leather Coach purse at a store. She was happy. I don't celebrate x-mas in the Traditional sense. If someone wants something, or needs something, I just buy it. I don't need an occasion.
I went back to read titaniummd's message again. I don't know this person, so I can't judge. But I can guess what is going on here. "Christmas" is a religious day. "Xmas" to me is a pagan abbreviation, although I did hear something once that said the use of "xmas" really isn't incorrect, speaking in terms of the Christian meaning. I don't know. But....I think this person has a lot of money, and, therefore, a $360 purse to him/her wouldn't be a big deal. If she/he was not rich and got the purse for $50, then I would think it would have been stated. Bargain hunters love to brag about the great deal they got. I just wish "Christmas" hadn't been contaminated with the worship of material things. I don't have a mom anymore -- she died in '80. I assure you if she was coming back for one day or one week, I would not prepare for the event by buying her tons of junk from stores -- at any price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 09:04 AM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 6,435,774 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
"Christmas" is a religious day. "Xmas" to me is a pagan abbreviation, although I did hear something once that said the use of "xmas" really isn't incorrect, speaking in terms of the Christian meaning. I just wish "Christmas" hadn't been contaminated with the worship of material things.
I've heard Christmas is a pagan tradition altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 AM
 
189 posts, read 709,114 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I've heard Christmas is a pagan tradition altogether.
It's pagan if you make it that way. Acting like savages in stores sure looks pagan to me. I could say more, but this is not a forum on religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 6,435,774 times
Reputation: 1031
No,I mean really


YouTube - Christmas Elements Have Pagan Roots, Experts Say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 11:04 AM
 
469 posts, read 1,865,350 times
Reputation: 216
Is titaniummd buying a $360 purse that serious? If it was something his/her mom wanted, then what's the big deal? I bought my mother a $250 D&B handbag for her birthday. She wanted it. And I'm FAR from being rich.

I could afford it. And I'm pretty sure titaniummd could afford the $360 purse. So what's the big deal? So the middle class is barred from buying something that costs over $10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 AM
 
189 posts, read 709,114 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Is titaniummd buying a $360 purse that serious? If it was something his/her mom wanted, then what's the big deal? I bought my mother a $250 D&B handbag for her birthday. She wanted it. And I'm FAR from being rich.

I could afford it. And I'm pretty sure titaniummd could afford the $360 purse. So what's the big deal? So the middle class is barred from buying something that costs over $10?
Yes, people can spend their money any way they want. I just think that spending huge amounts of money on stuff like purses, jewelry, cosmetics, and clothes shows a lack of understanding about what's really important in this world. Wouldn't it be better to give the money to charity for truly disadvantaged folks?

Also, I think it's foolish to spend money you either don't have or can't really afford just because you or somebody else "wants" it. I want a lot of things, but I don't get them because it would be foolish to spend my money that way. I've told all my friends not to buy me any gifts for any reason, as I am trying to clear my house out of unneeded stuff. I suggested they donate the money instead to a good cause (and gifts for me is NOT a good cause). I want time and support from my friends, not gifts, and I hope they feel the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top