Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2008, 10:49 AM
 
469 posts, read 1,870,151 times
Reputation: 216

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
Yes, people can spend their money any way they want. I just think that spending huge amounts of money on stuff like purses, jewelry, cosmetics, and clothes shows a lack of understanding about what's really important in this world. Wouldn't it be better to give the money to charity for truly disadvantaged folks?

Also, I think it's foolish to spend money you either don't have or can't really afford just because you or somebody else "wants" it. I want a lot of things, but I don't get them because it would be foolish to spend my money that way. I've told all my friends not to buy me any gifts for any reason, as I am trying to clear my house out of unneeded stuff. I suggested they donate the money instead to a good cause (and gifts for me is NOT a good cause). I want time and support from my friends, not gifts, and I hope they feel the same.
Ok what constitutes a huge amount? If I were to buy a $10 purse from walmart knowing there was one for $2 at the thrift store, am I spending a "huge amount" by just buying the $10 purse? If I would have bought a $250 purse for a disadvantaged person, would that have made a difference?

I donate money and clothes to charity. I'm actually participating in the Angel Tree foundation this year, where you buy clothing or toys for one disadvantaged child. There are a lot of people who can afford to do both. They can buy expensive things for themselves and family and STILL do a lot for their community and charity.

If you can afford to buy nice things for yourself or others, why live life not getting those things because you feel you are stiffing the less fortunate? You can get the things you "want", and still get/give other things people "need".

Now I agree with you about people spending money that they don't have (that's why we are in the economic mess now). If I couldn't afford to buy my mother that purse, I wouldn't have. But it's nice to get something for someone you love something they "want". Even if it's frivolous and unnecessary. We only live once and there is no need to shelter yourself from getting nice things for yourself if you want it and can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
So the middle class is barred from buying something that costs over $10?
Financially it's heading that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 PM
 
189 posts, read 710,826 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Ok what constitutes a huge amount? If I were to buy a $10 purse from walmart knowing there was one for $2 at the thrift store, am I spending a "huge amount" by just buying the $10 purse? If I would have bought a $250 purse for a disadvantaged person, would that have made a difference?

I donate money and clothes to charity. I'm actually participating in the Angel Tree foundation this year, where you buy clothing or toys for one disadvantaged child. There are a lot of people who can afford to do both. They can buy expensive things for themselves and family and STILL do a lot for their community and charity.

If you can afford to buy nice things for yourself or others, why live life not getting those things because you feel you are stiffing the less fortunate? You can get the things you "want", and still get/give other things people "need".

Now I agree with you about people spending money that they don't have (that's why we are in the economic mess now). If I couldn't afford to buy my mother that purse, I wouldn't have. But it's nice to get something for someone you love something they "want". Even if it's frivolous and unnecessary. We only live once and there is no need to shelter yourself from getting nice things for yourself if you want it and can afford it.
I guess we all have a different idea of what a huge amount is. You're talking to somebody who buys really cheap fanny packs at Wal-Mart (I own one at a time) cause I don't like to carry a purse both for convenience and security. I did buy a shoulder purse last year for $40, and haven't used it once cause my fanny pack is just more handy -- for me. I never have to change out my wallet and other stuff in it. In my younger days, I always wore matching shoes and purse. No more. By the way, have you seen some of these womens' purse contents? Looks like they're packed for a month overseas! Mine carries wallet, checkbook, and maybe a pen -- and that's it. Okay, so I'm weird.

I have lots of things around this house I don't need, but bought anyway, but I don't think I have anything you'd call outrageous. I guess my idea of "outrageous" is any price that is quite a ways above and beyond the normal stuff people buy and use. That's the closest I can get to a definition. $360 for a purse is way up there if you use that criteria. I wouldn't want my kids (if I had any) spending money foolishly, whether it was on me or anybody else.

The thing with buying gifts for loved ones is that the whole thing becomes an emotional issue. When I was a kid just starting out on my first job, I'd buy nice things for my mom for Christmas that I could barely afford, but she never acted that thrilled over what I got her, so over time, I just quit the gift thing, even while she was still living. I then turned to making her things, like 3 crewel embroidery scenes (those kits you buy), framed them, and she acted happy when I gave them to her (I did these over 3 years' time). They were a supreme labor of love on my part because I'm not a crafts/domestic type person. I'd rather be fishing, know what I mean?

Yes, like you said, I guess we can buy some luxury things and still give to charity. I just bought myself a small wine cooler -- just cause I wanted it. Not necessary, but it does look nice in my kitchen. But it was only $109 on Amazon, and it will last quite a long time.

In my defense, I did say something in my post to the effect I don't know the person who bought the $360 purse, so really can't say too much about them. Most of what I wrote is my personal opinion on spending and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
 
496 posts, read 1,251,005 times
Reputation: 228
oh wow, why are you guys on the offense re: that coach purse?
and why wouldn't middle class be able to afford their mom a nice purse? 360 for mom is nothing, they deserve a whole lot more don't you think? i'm middle class but i own over 5 coach handbags. love them all and never did break the bank to get them.
it's ok, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Reputation: 1031
That's fine...as long as the money wasn't better off going to something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
Reputation: 49864
Actually I think it's just tacky to mention the price of a gift...but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 PM
 
189 posts, read 710,826 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
oh wow, why are you guys on the offense re: that coach purse?
and why wouldn't middle class be able to afford their mom a nice purse? 360 for mom is nothing, they deserve a whole lot more don't you think? i'm middle class but i own over 5 coach handbags. love them all and never did break the bank to get them.
it's ok, isn't it?
Moms deserve a lot, but not in the form of material things. You could never buy her enough to pay her back. It's impossible.

On the handbags.......this is just my opinion, and I'm gonna let this rest after I say this one final time: $360 is WAY over what I consider reasonable or prudent to pay for a purse. Also, no one needs more than one purse at a time. Why? It's just silly and wasteful. Where do you guys stash all your loot, for crying out loud.

So that's my opinion. You are free to do as you please, and if I were your friend, my attitude would be "live and let live." I guess I started into this debate because of my annual disgust over the value some people put on Black Friday and all this mindless shopping. I'm just tired of hearing about it every December.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that some of the posters who don't like my stance think I'm above middle class. I am not -- I'm right in there with the rest of you (or most of you) . I'm all for the middle class. I just think we need to save more money for our future security. It's a shakey world out there.

Have a great Christmas season -- and give your mom a big hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
Moms deserve a lot, but not in the form of material things. You could never buy her enough to pay her back. It's impossible.
Sure,whatever they've spent on you growing up + damages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Reputation: 13472
The only thing I bought on Black Friday was a package of Nyquil Liquigels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 03:23 PM
 
189 posts, read 710,826 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
The only thing I bought on Black Friday was a package of Nyquil Liquigels.
Good for you, and hope your cold is gone by now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top