Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
I guess we all have a different idea of what a huge amount is. You're talking to somebody who buys really cheap fanny packs at Wal-Mart (I own one at a time) cause I don't like to carry a purse both for convenience and security. I did buy a shoulder purse last year for $40, and haven't used it once cause my fanny pack is just more handy -- for me. I never have to change out my wallet and other stuff in it. In my younger days, I always wore matching shoes and purse. No more. By the way, have you seen some of these womens' purse contents? Looks like they're packed for a month overseas! Mine carries wallet, checkbook, and maybe a pen -- and that's it. Okay, so I'm weird.

I have lots of things around this house I don't need, but bought anyway, but I don't think I have anything you'd call outrageous. I guess my idea of "outrageous" is any price that is quite a ways above and beyond the normal stuff people buy and use. That's the closest I can get to a definition. $360 for a purse is way up there if you use that criteria. I wouldn't want my kids (if I had any) spending money foolishly, whether it was on me or anybody else.

The thing with buying gifts for loved ones is that the whole thing becomes an emotional issue. When I was a kid just starting out on my first job, I'd buy nice things for my mom for Christmas that I could barely afford, but she never acted that thrilled over what I got her, so over time, I just quit the gift thing, even while she was still living. I then turned to making her things, like 3 crewel embroidery scenes (those kits you buy), framed them, and she acted happy when I gave them to her (I did these over 3 years' time). They were a supreme labor of love on my part because I'm not a crafts/domestic type person. I'd rather be fishing, know what I mean?

Yes, like you said, I guess we can buy some luxury things and still give to charity. I just bought myself a small wine cooler -- just cause I wanted it. Not necessary, but it does look nice in my kitchen. But it was only $109 on Amazon, and it will last quite a long time.

In my defense, I did say something in my post to the effect I don't know the person who bought the $360 purse, so really can't say too much about them. Most of what I wrote is my personal opinion on spending and nothing more.
People have a different personal preference on what they perceive as important to them. As you stated you bought a $109 small wine cooler. And I could say, that $109 could have been spent to help the less fortunate. But it wasn't. It was spent on what you feel is important for you.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a wine cooler, as you wouldn't pay $250 for a purse. And it looks like one of the reasons you bought the wine cooler was because it will last long. That was one of the resons I bought the purse for my mother. She now has something that she can use everyday and it will last a long time. (and it was actually replacing a hand me down purse that was falling apart).

My point is you can't tell someone it's a waste of money or not a good use of money when they buy something. It's never a waste of money. People buy what's important to them, and for that individual person, it isn't a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 AM

189 posts, read 710,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
People have a different personal preference on what they perceive as important to them. As you stated you bought a $109 small wine cooler. And I could say, that $109 could have been spent to help the less fortunate. But it wasn't. It was spent on what you feel is important for you.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a wine cooler, as you wouldn't pay $250 for a purse. And it looks like one of the reasons you bought the wine cooler was because it will last long. That was one of the resons I bought the purse for my mother. She now has something that she can use everyday and it will last a long time. (and it was actually replacing a hand me down purse that was falling apart).

My point is you can't tell someone it's a waste of money or not a good use of money when they buy something. It's never a waste of money. People buy what's important to them, and for that individual person, it isn't a waste of money.
The wine cooler is useful to me since I drink a glass every night with supper because they say it helps arteries stay clear. Since I want a good selection of wines and don't have much room in my small fridge, the wine cooler was a good thing -- and it looks good in a wasted corner of my countertops. I know I don't have to justify this for anyone, but just wanted to say what use I found for it.

Many years ago, my best friend at work and I had a discussion going about what to pay for things. She said people would tell her they spent a lot of money on quality stuff so it would last forever. Then she said, "I don't WANT stuff to last forever." We were mainly talking about clothes. How boring it would be to wear the same things for years just because they were expensive. I have a few items that I've had for decades. I don't wear them anymore; I'm sentimental about them for one reason or another. They sit there high up on a shelf and can bring a smile or good memory when I see them up there.

Now if a person wanted to buy a purse to last forever and it was going to be her only purse, then fine. I'm mainly talkiing about people who go out and buy everything under the sun just because it's on sale and then can't pay their credit card bills each month in full to avoid interest. I think that's my real beef about people and their spending. How about these women who have 100 pairs of shoes? Give me a break.

The Black Friday thing got me going. On the tv coverage, you'd see these women with the cart overflowing, no doubt with stuff destined for garage sales and landfills. We are a nation of very low values when it comes to what's really important. I'll bet the farm that 99.9%, if not 100%, of those aggressive shoppers haven't read a book in years, if ever. The thing is, I have some bad habits also, but I try to live a quality life. For instance, I watch too much tv. But last night I shut it off at 9:00 and read for almost 3 hours (Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodman). I feel good about that, and slept better too. Next hurdle? Exercise and weight loss. It's a constant struggle.

Anyway, I hope your mom enjoys that purse in good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products