Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Of course it wasn't Walmart's fault. But the significance here is that CNN goes to the retail clerks union for the story. Interesting, isn't it? Since when did the retail clerks union become an authority on public security? Or maybe CNN is merely being manipulated by another union...
Bingo!

It's a very sad day in this country when we need armed guards with guns patrolling Wal-Mart.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 12-01-2008 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Bingo II

Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That town could have had cops in riot gear and it probably would have still happened.

Walmart is not to blame..greedy, uncaring people are to blame.
Agree, this story just makes me ill!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
If this regularly happens then it would be Wal-Mart's fault. This has never happened before. It only happened with this store. Give me hell if y'all want, I'm not one bit it was in New York and specifically Long Island that this happened. It has to do with the people there and their attitudes. I wonder how many of these customers were the corrupt Manhattan stockbrokers who did not get to steal enough from us regular people thru the bailout and now go to Walmart.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If this regularly happens then it would be Wal-Mart's fault. This has never happened before. It only happened with this store. Give me hell if y'all want, I'm not one bit it was in New York and specifically Long Island that this happened. It has to do with the people there and their attitudes. I wonder how many of these customers were the corrupt Manhattan stockbrokers who did not get to steal enough from us regular people thru the bailout and now go to Walmart.
I'll bet most of them were people who rarely go into Wal-Mart, but they thought they would get a steal on that one day. They're like vultures descending on roadkill. People who shop there regularly for groceries and household goods probably wouldn't have acted that way.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
so who are the people saying Walmart doesn't share a part of the blame in this man's death??

Attorney: Trampled worker lacked training - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

"A worker trampled to death when customers stormed a Wal-Mart for bargains on the day after Thanksgiving had no experience in crowd control and was placed at the entrance because of his hulking frame, police and a lawyer said Monday...Hecht said Damour had been working at the Wal-Mart only for about a week and was hired through an employment agency that provides temporary staffing. Damour had not been trained for any security assignments and had no background in crowd control, he said."

they PURPOSELY put a guy w/ NO CROWD CONTROL TRAINING in front of those people simply b/c of his size!! I'd be damned surprised if they weren't sued b/c of this! yes, the people who did the stampeding deserve to be found and prosecuted, but Walmart's hands aren't clean in this matter either. like I said in my other post, most stores don't train employees for the specific perils of Black Friday at all, and it looks like this guy paid the ultimate price for their shoddy training. this guy worked as a temp worker there for a week, has no experience in crowd control and security, but Walmart sees fit to toss him in front of a mass of 2,000 lunatics. wonderful.

Last edited by eevee; 12-01-2008 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: added quote

Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I wonder what part of the word "negligence" the corporate apologists here don't understand.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Walmart is THE only store that I know on black Friday that is truly a nightmare and brings out an insane amount of people. They know that and should prepare for it. Put items at really discounted prices in a bad economy and yes the store will be swamped.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I hope Wal-Mart is slapped with a MASSIVE and HIGHLY-PUBLICIZED LAW SUIT! Unfortunately, what can you do to control a mob like this? A security guard shooting a machine gun into the air would probably just prompt a few of the shadier-looking characters in the photos I saw from one of those links to pull their OWN guns and cause a massive free-for-all of gunfire! This is yet another reason to shop at Target over Wal-Mart.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Unfortunately, what can you do to control a mob like this?
There are methods, I know, I used to be a bouncer at rock and roll shows and there are ways to control large, unruly crowds. They cost money of course and call for some foresight. But the bigshots at Wal-Mart are supposed to exercise foresight, that's why they get the big money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products