Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 PM

323 posts, read 788,280 times

Advertisements

I am the manager of a shoe store in the mall here, and people never cease to amaze me throughout the holidays. And let me tell you.. Black Friday and the weekend after is NOT the time to give your friendly retail employees a hard time. Note to all rude customers: If you think your attitude is going to get you any special treatment, think again. Patient and kind customers are a vast minority this time of the year and are so much more likely to get special treatment.

Last night, as it was finally slowing down, a couple came in looking for a boot that was very similar to one on display. I showed them two other styles that fit the traits that they were looking for, yet neither of them had the heel that she wanted. I showed her the area that contains the full selection of boots that she was interested in for her to browse to see if any were to her liking. As soon as I turn my back, her husband whispers loudly, "I don't think she wants to help us!" I tell him, "I don't mind helping you.. Did you have any other questions?" They both rudely answer "No" and walk out. What else could I have possibly done for them? Go in the back and MAKE the boot?

First customer this morning comes in snapping her gum. She has a massive attitude problem, but I don't take it personal and am helpful to her anyways. She picks out a shoe but doesn't know her shoe size so I take a guess and bring her a 7 1/2. By this time, she's yapping loudly on her phone so I give her her shoe and go back to what I was doing. A few moments later, she holds up a shoe and without even looking at me yells out "Give me this $40 shoe." I ask her if the one I'd given her was the correct size and she tells me no. So I ask her if she needs a bigger or smaller size and she repeats for me to get her the $40 shoe. I tell her that I don't know what size she needs and she tells me that she doesn't know her shoe size either. So I ask again, did she need smaller or bigger than the one she'd tried on. She repeats that that shoe didn't fit her and I, again, ask if she needed one BIGGER or smaller than the first shoe. She asks me what size I'd given her and I tell her a 7 1/2. So she says to give her the same size in the $40 shoe. I bring it to her, she tries it on and says (again without even looking at me) "These aren't going to work!" and walks out without another word.

And I have oh-so-many more experiences than that! Anyone else have some bad experiences with people choosing to be obnoxious on one of the BUSIEST shopping weekends of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Last night, as it was finally slowing down, a couple came in looking for a boot that was very similar to one on display. I showed them two other styles that fit the traits that they were looking for, yet neither of them had the heel that she wanted. I showed her the area that contains the full selection of boots that she was interested in for her to browse to see if any were to her liking. As soon as I turn my back, her husband whispers loudly, "I don't think she wants to help us!" I tell him, "I don't mind helping you.. Did you have any other questions?" They both rudely answer "No" and walk out. What else could I have possibly done for them? Go in the back and MAKE the boot?
Well, I must comment that this sounds like a classic "bait and switch" tactic. Not being there, I don't know, I am going from your description and filling in some gaps. But I must ask - you had a shoe on display, possibly on sale, but not in stock. And you lead them to shoes that were similiar but, let me guess, not on sale. That's called bait and switch, and it's very illegal.
If that were the case, I would have done more than muttered under my breath and walked out, I would have made a call or two to the state attorney's office.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 AM

323 posts, read 788,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well, I must comment that this sounds like a classic "bait and switch" tactic. Not being there, I don't know, I am going from your description and filling in some gaps. But I must ask - you had a shoe on display, possibly on sale, but not in stock. And you lead them to shoes that were similiar but, let me guess, not on sale. That's called bait and switch, and it's very illegal.
If that were the case, I would have done more than muttered under my breath and walked out, I would have made a call or two to the state attorney's office.
Lol.. Nooo.. Maybe my scenarios didn't make sense and that's why I didn't get any replies lol. She showed me a shoe and said she wanted one like it without the fur. I showed her two similar styles that didn't have fur but neither had the heel that she wanted. All three shoes are very similar in price..within $5 of each other.. It wouldn't make any sense to have a shoe on display that we don't have in stock..especially because all of our display shoes are a part of a pair, one of which is on display and the other is in the stock room in the box.. so if people actually do that, I could see why it would be illegal.

The point I was trying to make was that I had made an honest attempt with my utmost ability to help her get what she was looking for and they weren't satisfied.. My point wasn't that I'm a sleaze ball and upset because they didn't fall for this "bait and switch" thing.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
I worked for a long time at Barnes and Noble and Borders BOoks Stores and it amazes me how stupid people are. I worked last year's black Friday and it was a mess. I can't even tell you how many times people would come up to me everyday and tell me they were looking for a book. When I asked them what it was called or who wrote it they didn't know. Well then I told them I couldn't help them. Some of them would get nasty and I would get nasty right back at them and ask them just how they thought I would help them find something if they know nothing about it.

note to nasty customers: If you are nasty to the booksellers then they will just tell you we don't have it even if we do so that you can go away.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:

Wow this is a good way to take a fun thread and make it argumentative.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Wow this is a good way to take a fun thread and make it argumentative.
It was a fair and justifiable call, no argument after the OP responded. It was clarified and their was no offense to either party.
Before I responded it had zero responses. I bumped it up to the top....your welcome. Hope your head feels better, that icon looked like it hurt.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM

111 posts, read 286,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
I am the manager of a shoe store in the mall here, and people never cease to amaze me throughout the holidays. And let me tell you.. Black Friday and the weekend after is NOT the time to give your friendly retail employees a hard time. Note to all rude customers: If you think your attitude is going to get you any special treatment, think again. Patient and kind customers are a vast minority this time of the year and are so much more likely to get special treatment.

First customer this morning comes in snapping her gum. She has a massive attitude problem, but I don't take it personal and am helpful to her anyways. She picks out a shoe but doesn't know her shoe size so I take a guess and bring her a 7 1/2. By this time, she's yapping loudly on her phone so I give her her shoe and go back to what I was doing. A few moments later, she holds up a shoe and without even looking at me yells out "Give me this $40 shoe." I ask her if the one I'd given her was the correct size and she tells me no. So I ask her if she needs a bigger or smaller size and she repeats for me to get her the $40 shoe. I tell her that I don't know what size she needs and she tells me that she doesn't know her shoe size either. So I ask again, did she need smaller or bigger than the one she'd tried on. She repeats that that shoe didn't fit her and I, again, ask if she needed one BIGGER or smaller than the first shoe. She asks me what size I'd given her and I tell her a 7 1/2. So she says to give her the same size in the $40 shoe. I bring it to her, she tries it on and says (again without even looking at me) "These aren't going to work!" and walks out without another word.

And I have oh-so-many more experiences than that! Anyone else have some bad experiences with people choosing to be obnoxious on one of the BUSIEST shopping weekends of the year?
Well, I didnt trampel anyone over a $9 DVD.....

Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,292 times
Quote:
That's funny.

You have some weird hobbies, man.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,063 times
I really feel for you this time of the year. People that act like that will get theirs in time. Sometimes you just have to dish it back....even though the customer is always right. By the way, who the hell wrote that?!?!?! When I worked in retail, I really hated that the bosses preached it. Glad I got out of that. Doing real estate now, not any better I can tell you. People are real asses sometimes....most times actually!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
You have some weird hobbies, man.
What? Huh? Stamp collecting?

you have some weird comments, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products