U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,022,876 times

Advertisements

I just put a few items for sale on Craigslist, I'm a bit unsure about a few responses I've recieved as I've heard people use this list as a way to case people's homes. I'm not paranoid, just want to be safe and wise. What do you make of the responses below?

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for your positive response and i will make an outright payment
for this item.What can you say of its conditions?
I will need your name and address to send check and will also have my
mover pick up from your location as soon as we're done with payment..

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response. I have instructed my
account officer to mail (overnight) a certified
check, while you hold this item for me. Let me know
when you receive the check and I will have my mover
will come pick up at your place. Please forward me
the following info so I can issue your check . . .
1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address(Physical as Ups does not deliver to P.O.Box}
3.Your phone number.
** Please note that I will overnight the payment,and
you should receive it tomorrow. I appreciate you
holding this for me. Please delete the posting as I
am definitely buying it from you and it would be sad
for me to have the payment in the mail only to be
informed of the its sale also am deaf and will like to be contacted via email.**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,147,800 times
Both of them scammers. When selling on craigslist, insist on meeting the buyer IN PERSON in a public place (not your home) to deliver the item for CASH ONLY. Tell them up front and in the listing that you accept only cash, and if they show up with a certified check or money orders or any other form of payment that you're walking away from the deal. If they say they'll have someone pick it up, or ask for any personal information other than what you've already included on your listing, they're trying to scam you.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:14 PM

4,455 posts, read 6,597,663 times
Just as SuSushi posted they are scammers. You must deal cash only, nothing else, anything else is some kind of scam. Always meet the prospective buyer at a busy public place and try to have someone with you. If you are selling a large item, i.e., furniture, etc, then the buyer has to come to your home. Generally this type of buyer will ask many questions in an email or several emails. Always respond, stating it is "cash only." Get a phone number and check it out. Have people with you when the prospective buyer arrives. Try to limit the buyer to the area of the item for sale. Be cautious of people who want to look around. There are a lot of thieves out there and may look at your item only to get a look at everything else.
That being said, I have sold many items on craigslist and never had a bad incident. Good common sense and trusting your gut feeling is the best defense.
Don

Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 1,894,136 times
Its a fraud scammer. They offer to send you a money order and will have their shipping agent come pick it up when you accept the money order and then when you cash the m.o. it doesnt clear and you are out the item and the money. Anyone who asks you those type of things, if you'll take more for the item, will you ship it, will you accept a money order is a fake. I also sell things on craigslist and have learned my lesson.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,022,876 times
Thank you! Yeah, they are both furniture items so they have to come to my house. I'm going to clear some stuff out of my garage and put them both in there. I don't want anyone coming into our house when I don't know what their true intentions may be. It's so sad that we have to be so cautious of people.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Thank you! Yeah, they are both furniture items so they have to come to my house. I'm going to clear some stuff out of my garage and put them both in there. I don't want anyone coming into our house when I don't know what their true intentions may be. It's so sad that we have to be so cautious of people.
Good idea to put the items in the garage. I wouldn't want a stranger coming in to my house and looking around either. Make sure you've got someone else with you when the buyer is scheduled to come by. Good luck, and happy selling!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:53 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,532,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I just put a few items for sale on Craigslist, I'm a bit unsure about a few responses I've recieved as I've heard people use this list as a way to case people's homes. I'm not paranoid, just want to be safe and wise. What do you make of the responses below?
NEVER sale on Craiglist and accept any other form of payment than CASH!!

Be very careful with that site, lots of scammer there.

Also a good advice, when you take pictures of the item you are selling, try to take them in another place aside from the inside of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products