Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

My favorite was during the 2007 Holiday shopping season when I was at the Mall at Steamtown in Downtown Scranton, PA. Being the kind-hearted soul I am I tend to always lend a sympathetic ear and at least give someone a few minutes of my attention before rejecting them if what they have to say does not interest me. A very well-groomed Middle-Eastern guy in his mid-20s approached me with his hands extended and some sort of lotion sample in his hand. Curious I followed him back over to his kiosk, where he proceeded to demonstrate some sort of nail enhancer and cuticle cleaner derived from sea salt on my one hand so that I could compare the results to my other "untouched" hand.

That wasn't so bad. It actually felt good to look a little spruced up, as I've never had a manicure before. However, he then proceeded to try to further "sell" me on the products by "leveling" with me, disparaging homosexuals in the process by reassuring me that there's no reason to be "embarrassed" or to "feel gay" about taking care of my appearance, mentioning the fact that he had a fiancee and was comfortable in his heterosexuality. Little did he know is that beyond the fact that I enjoy sports, cars, and work hard I'm also gay myself.

Given the fact that many people in Pennsylvania are socioculturally inept and Bible-thumpers I just shrugged it off as typical Scranton prejudice and hatred. Needless to say though you're not going to win over very many customers at a kiosk by outwardly displaying homophobia, especially when you're talking about customers like ME! As a fellow sales professional I was shocked and dismayed by his boorish behavior and total lack of candor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
Funny thread. I had an annoying encounter with the "nail buffers" in a mall in Glasgow, Scotland, so this phenomenon is not confined to the US.

I've grown to hate malls since this breed of predatory kiosk vendor became the norm and avoid them now at all costs. I find them really depressing places all around (even the so-called "upscale" malls) and aggressive vendors only detract further from the shopping experience. Honestly, there is nothing I need or want in a mall, apart from some of the anchor stores when a good sale is on. Usually you can visit those without ever stepping foot inside the mall itself.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
I don't like aggressive kiosk types. I solved it; haven't been to a mall in years. Malls suck, same stores coast to coast.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
Remember, if someone puts their hand on you or grabs you, THAT'S ASSAULT. A call to the police, with a follow-up call to mall management and a threat to include management in the lawsuit should do the trick. Especially if you make a BIG SCENE in front of everyone.

OK, so who's got the balls to do it? I don't shop at malls; I suppose I could start and get the ball rolling.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
One of those dead sea product people approached me aggressively AGAIN yesterday - if one of them EVER lays a hand on me - I WILL make a scene and press charges.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hif View Post
maybe the next time we go to the mall we should take spray bottles filled with water and mist them!
rofl

Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,325 times
If you go to malls enough that this is a problem, wear some earbuds and just don't make eye contact.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
I go to the mall several times a year at most. However, due to circumstances beyond my control I've been there twice in past 10 days. It was unbelievable what we experienced. My wife and I were walking towards one of the anchor stores and there were several gals standing near a kiosk and as we walked by one of them approached us and basically stood right in our way and told us she had something she just knew we'd be interested in. I explained that we were not at all interested in whatever she was selling, but she kept at it, telling us just to give her seveal minutes to show us since she just knew we'd be interested....I was floored to be honest with you. I have never experienced in this particular mall any salesperson in the common areas to be that agressive.

So we went back to the same mall a few days ago and were walking by the same kiosk and a gal did the same thing....this time though we were ready for her and just side stepped her without saying a word.

I'm not one to be rude....but you know, if someone is going to waste my time so cavalierly....I'm not going to play their game.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Remember, if someone puts their hand on you or grabs you, THAT'S ASSAULT. A call to the police, with a follow-up call to mall management and a threat to include management in the lawsuit should do the trick. Especially if you make a BIG SCENE in front of everyone.

OK, so who's got the balls to do it? I don't shop at malls; I suppose I could start and get the ball rolling.
I'm personally not going to call the police because someone selling overpriced lotion puts their hands on me. I don't think too many cops would be happy responding to such a situation that could be handled otherwise.

If, however, they touch and grab me repeatedly again and again after refusing, I would just defend myself with enough force to neutralize the situation, which would be basically me removing his or her hands and stepping away.I would then follow up with a call to mall management/security and file a complaint or report, if need be.

Punching and/or kicking them could more than likely land me in jail and possibly sued, especially if their intent was not to harm me. I don't think the vast majority of Dead Sea Salt folks are intent on injuring someone in the performance of their jobs, despite their aggressive sales tactics. It's annoying and irritating, and trust me, it pisses me off sometimes, but that doesn't give me the right to hurt someone because they are pestering me.

Now, if I were grabbed on the street, in a parking lot or God forbid, the mall by someone with the intent of injuring or killing me, then it's defending myself by any means necessary.

I do like to defuse and better yet avoid a situation before it escalates. My best technique in this instance is to simply walk by and firmly say "no thanks". No need to make something bigger or more dramatic than it needs to be. Causing a scene will just make me look foolish anyway.

Last edited by Gil3; 01-14-2009 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post

That depends on intent that is in every state laws. Doubt its worth much in a suit etiher. many read too many suit that are filed and never get anywhere it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products