Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,334 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to sell a living room set (couch, loveseat, coffee table) but I've never bought or sold used furniture so I don't know what a fair price is. The set was purchased for ~1000 dollars about 18 months ago. It's in great shape. I was thinking 400-500 but a friend of mine said more like 600-700, but that was just her guess as well. Anyone care to offer their input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
I had a couch and chair that I purchased for around $1000 and when I was ready to sell a few years later, it looked brand new. I listed it for $500 and got $400. Again, it had a few years on it but I had gotten plenty of use out of it and was happy with the $400.

Value isn't always what it's worth but what someone will actually pay for it. If you believe that you can get $600-$700, list it as such but expect someone to negotiate with you. If you get no calls in a week or two, then consider lowering the price.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
I'm looking to sell a living room set (couch, loveseat, coffee table) but I've never bought or sold used furniture so I don't know what a fair price is. The set was purchased for ~1000 dollars about 18 months ago. It's in great shape. I was thinking 400-500 but a friend of mine said more like 600-700, but that was just her guess as well. Anyone care to offer their input?
It all has to do with the style and how desperate you need to get rid of the set, the price you paid has nothing to do anymore with the price you are going to get for the set. Once you purchased it and took it home is considered used furniture.
Even if the set is in mint condition, the price range of what you might get is how much the buyer wants to pay for it, maybe you can selll the couch and loveseat seperate from the tables..

I would say site unseen, you will probably can start the set at $650.00 complete and then let the buyer haggle with you, must buyers love to think they are getting a better price...You need to set in your mind, the least amount you are willing to sell the set for and add to it, so you can come down.

Hope this helps

Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Look in your local classifieds and check your Craigs List to see what going rates are.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
It all has to do with the style and how desperate you need to get rid of the set, the price you paid has nothing to do anymore with the price you are going to get for the set. Once you purchased it and took it home is considered used furniture.
Even if the set is in mint condition, the price range of what you might get is how much the buyer wants to pay for it, maybe you can selll the couch and loveseat seperate from the tables..

I would say site unseen, you will probably can start the set at $650.00 complete and then let the buyer haggle with you, must buyers love to think they are getting a better price...You need to set in your mind, the least amount you are willing to sell the set for and add to it, so you can come down.

Hope this helps
Um, the price I paid has everything to do with the price I'll sell it for.

A $2000 couch is going to be sold for more than a $200 couch.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
What you are going to get is what someone is willing to pay - check around.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Check the local paper classified section. Many people list on there what they paid and what they are selling for....along with describing the general condition. It'll give you an idea what price range you can play with. I sold a lot of furniture I had before my move a few months ago. Since I had a truck available, I offered free delivery and sold everything I wanted to for top dollar.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,253 times
Quote:

I have bought and sold furniture for many years aside from my regular business, and I have bought sofas that were original bought for $6,000.00 and I have aquired them for $900.00. Alot depends on the style, and condition of the furniture a person is selling...to the owner it might seem in mint condition, but in reality it might just be in good condition.

And also it depends on how desperate a seller is to sell their furniture.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
It depends on what your economy is like in your home town. You can only price it at what the Market will bear. In a used condition, I doubt that you will get that much out of it, I will guess only about 200 or 250 at best! People who shop for used furniture are shopping for bargains, and dont want to pay for high prices, or, they would go to the new furiniture shop and buy from there! They want a bargain! If yours isnt, then they will go elsewhere...

I would put it in the Newpaper or trader paper and go high end for it, and after a week, keep bringing the price down, each week until it sells...You may only get pennies on the dollar, so, dont be suprised.

May the LORD

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:

I've shopped for used furniture before (for myself and others) and honestly, I don't care what you paid for it.
That has zero bearing on what I'm willing to pay.

What matters to me is the style (obviously I'm not going to put a dark victorian couch and chair in my beach house, nor am I going to go with a trendy piece of furniture that may look ridiculous when the trend is over) print (why people want so much money for an old, ugly, dated floral pattern is beyond me) and color (No, your orange/cream 'vintage' couch from the 70's is not for me).

If you luck out and find someone who happens to be looking for a set just like the one you have, you may get more. If not, you're going to have to settle, or keep the furniture. I just got rid of a couch set that my parents, it was less than 3 years old, rarely used and I ended up giving it away. My parents paid more than $1500 for it, but there just weren't any buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products