U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,796,174 times

Advertisements

Gas prices have dropped somewhat. Why aren't airlines dropping their prices?

Nowadays, they nickle and dime us for checking bags, getting drinks or snacks, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 AM

20,419 posts, read 40,103,921 times
IDK - I think prices are reasonable... and faster than driving.

DH and I got a nice price when we went RT PIT - SEA.
We traveled for the week with just a carry-on... so no bag fees.

DD and her DH flew Southwest with four bags (Christmas time) and had no bag fees.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 AM

1,854 posts, read 9,010,102 times
It's called fuel hedging. Back when prices were the highest, airlines were signing contracts for future fuel purchases. It was a guessing game of how high the prices would go. They guessed wrong. Even though oil prices are down, airlines are obligated to pay the high prices that they signed for.

Go look at the annual financial reports of all the major airlines. They lost billions of dollars last year due to fuel prices. That money has to be recouped somewhere.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,796,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
It's called fuel hedging. Back when prices were the highest, airlines were signing contracts for future fuel purchases. It was a guessing game of how high the prices would go. They guessed wrong. Even though oil prices are down, airlines are obligated to pay the high prices that they signed for.
Thanks for the explanation.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM

59,680 posts, read 78,340,227 times
food prices did not fall either.
what goes up does not necessarily must come down.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM

15,108 posts, read 47,802,779 times
That (fuel hedging) and maybe they are trying to dig themselves out of the financial hole they have dug themselves into the last year or two.

I have to agree with you on the "nickel and dime" charges though - I would cheerfully pay say $30 to $50 extra per ticket to have the old style free meal on any flight long enough to eat it, to be able to check a bag of reasonable size, to not have to pay for blankets, etc. a la carte.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 PM

48,508 posts, read 87,615,651 times
P)rice of most goods are like taxes'once l;eevoled they don't recnd them even if for a staed purpose. Look at food and other goods that they went upi on because of transportation cost;haven't dropped. People talk about gasoline but other products don't folow the demanhd and cost. The governamnt needs to quite propping up food prices in my opinon and admit that gasoline follows the market better tha most products as has been shown. Airlines are just ne of these.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:04 AM

668 posts, read 1,987,164 times
Because Airlines buy ahead of time, on the 'futures market'... So, they buy in bulk or millions of gallons or hundered thousands of gallons at a time and have it stored and delivered when they need it. This being said, they probably bought enough fuel to last them either one or two years down the road, and will 'have' to keep the prices up, until thier obligations on the price of the highend gas they have, runs out.

Some airlines, who are smaller, are already dropping prices, as they dont bother with the 'futures market'..and can afford to pass on the savings already.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-27-2014, 01:28 PM

9,842 posts, read 19,454,934 times
I haven't flown in yrs but I am abit surprised on how the airlines nickel & dime the customer big time.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:09 PM

48,508 posts, read 87,615,651 times
Airlines not long ago where often losing money ;so they adjusted what they charge for. Many still are. Then many also contracted to a set price in hope of hedging higher cost for fuel later. Its a very competitive business as always. When one realizes only the well off would fly not that many decades ago except on rare instances; it shows now much affordable flying has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products