Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,811,410 times

Advertisements

has all electroinic device we purchase outsource its customer service, i have a dell laptop and tried to get customer service for a problem only to get a representative i can barely understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,280,132 times
As long as companies like Dell (satan, in my book), continue to outsource, unemployment will keep going up and the economy will worsen. Why the government doesn't step in is a mystery to me.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,405,025 times
I had dells for years but refuse to buy another one. Every time I had to call I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I would ask to speak to someone who spoke English, that got me nowhere. The same thing happen when I tried to call Netgear for my router. What a joke.
I now have Gateway and have spoke to CS and believe it or not they were located here in America

Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM

6,882 posts, read 11,204,286 times
Smile Outsourcing

Why doesn't the government step in on this one?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,797,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Why doesn't the government step in on this one?
It's an annoying thing, but when it comes down to it, the consumer is the one who ultimately decides these things. If we don't like it, we shouldn't do business with the company. As an example, i had AT&T DSL and every time i called customer service, it was a fruitless endeavor to get the problem resolved with someone who had a poor command of English. So, what did i do? I dropped them, and went to a provider that could provide understandable tech help. That's all there is to it. We run in to most of our problems because we're looking for that absolute lowest price. You get what you pay for, in the end.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,756,436 times
You can always do business with someone else....

Old 02-08-2009, 03:14 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,856,090 times
If only they spoke comprehensible English.... E-mails are not much better...it's always like a script!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,138,248 times
I gotta "tip my hat" to DISH

A week ago we had problems and my wife called at 9:30 AM ( SHE HAS A SHORT FUSE)

The customer service rep was on the phone for 1 1/2 hours and was able to fix the problem.

I'm quite sure if the customer rep had been from a foreign country speaking broken english------the wife would have thrown the DISH reciever into the snowbank and I would have been installing an antenna on the roof

Thank you DISH------------for knowing the importance of EXCELLENT customer service.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 PM

492 posts, read 960,199 times
The problem with Customer Service and Outsourcing...

Computers, cell phones, Internet. There are millions, yes, literally MILLIONS of owners/users of these devices. When they are new they cost more. The more people using these devices, more purchasing, the cheaper they get. Therein a crux of the problem.

I've done computer warranty support (after the first year of ownerhip). I've done cell phone support and I've done Internet - both dialup and DSL, both residential and business accounts.

To be kind, I'll say that most of you are not complainers and don't make daily calls to your device support center. But believe me... a real big whole bunch of them do. And they drive up the cost of that support to an extent that a company has to find a way to make savings. Think something like costs versus hold times. The more they have to pay support the longer you hold.

Even the agents you get in the U.S. typically don't make more than ten or twelve bucks an hour and are treated like sardines in a packing plant, stink included. Many of the agents are settling for eight or nine an hour just to have a job. You can typically tell who they are.

As for ATT DSL, the first line of support is usually something in the far east asia, India or the Phillippines. This is to weed out the easy resolution or frequent caller. They then transfer to Dallas for second tier support where you get the twelve dollar support. The more able you are to work with the support rep the easier the resolution.

ATT Cell phone support is spread around many call centers in the U.S. and pays the least of any call center I've worked with, at about eight to ten bucks an hour. Believe me, they have a multitude of idiot calls to tie up the support lines. Again, the more idiots, the longer you hold.

Computers... well, a lot of people just don't get it. Everything about a computer is a yes or a no (on or off). Most frequently the problem is software related and just needs a re-install of XP. Make frequent backups of valuable data. Really. This is a benefit to you and support. Again, the longer it takes the more it costs and the longer you hold. The less they pay the more likely you are to get unintelligible or lack of intelligence or a combination of both.

These companies aren't out to give you a hard time because you need assistance with a device. But that assistance is not without costs. They realize an unhappy customer is not good public relations but this whole scenario is only about ten years or less old. These companies are learning how to deal with the demand just as the consumer is learning how to cope with the needs.

And the government did step in, long ago, and made outsourcing easier. Has a lot to do with international relations and trade.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,404,693 times
They do make me laugh sometimes though. In the beginning at least they were honest about it. "Greetings, my name is Neshtar, how may I help you?" Then companies got wise and now every male rep is named "Mike Smith" or something similar.

Have some fun with them, ask them something like why do we spell it Calcutta and they spell it Kolkata. Throws them right off the script.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products