Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 AM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I work for the Post Office and the reason they are removing stamp vending machines is it cost too much to maintain them. So it was an economical decision. The Post Office is actually encouraging people to go elsewhere to buy stamps, like the grocery store etc. I personally think it is kind of silly to discourage people from coming to a Post Office to buy stamps. I understand the economics of it but still, we are here to provide a service and it seems to me people should be able to walk into a Post Office lobby, day or night and buy 1, 2 or a 100 stamps from a machine if they want to.
Do you mean all stamps, or just individual stamps? If you mean they are discouraging buying all stamps from the Post Office, then I agree it's silly. If you mean they are discouraging buying individual stamps from the Post Office, it makes sense if they are not making a profit on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Do you mean all stamps, or just individual stamps? If you mean they are discouraging buying all stamps from the Post Office, then I agree it's silly. If you mean they are discouraging buying individual stamps from the Post Office, it makes sense if they are not making a profit on it.
Just yesterday I was told that only the larger and higher customer volumed post offices will keep the stamp vending machines and yes I got the "we couldn't get parts" excuse more like they were probably told to say this from the clerk too. I think USPS wants to encourage (manipulate) people to purchase book(s) of stamps at a time.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
I LIKE the PO. I have almost never had something be "lost", and for less than 50cents I can send something across the country in just 2-4 days! Amazing! And, as someone previously said, stamps hold their value (or increase, as with the Forever stamp), so it is not going to put you out to have extras.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, believe me, I do. Mail sent to me is routinely returned to the sender, even though the address is correct, because the carrier is too lazy to sort the mail efficiently.

?

Let me guess...you live in an apt and the sender is only putting the street address, not the unit number that is also part of your address-so your carrier is too lazy to read the sender's mind to know which apt, of the dozens or even hundreds of apts, you live in.

Trust me, it's way more work for the carrier to send the mail back than it is to actually deliver it, if it is deliverable. Your mail is going back for a reason.

Look, OP-just buy a book of Forever stamps, cut it up, put some in all your cars and purses. Now you're set for life.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
I just wanted to add, since alot of people wish they had UPS or FedEx delivering their mail instead of the USPS, chew on this; If a private company took over delivery of mail, you would see postage of a letter to rise to around $3 instead of a few cents and then the recipient of the letter you mailed would also be charged a delivery fee, instead of the FREE delivery that we currently have. Oh, and don't forget that next week the postage would rise to $4 in the name of a "fuel surcharge". Be careful what you wish for!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I just wanted to add, since alot of people wish they had UPS or FedEx delivering their mail instead of the USPS, chew on this; If a private company took over delivery of mail, you would see postage of a letter to rise to around $3 instead of a few cents and then the recipient of the letter you mailed would also be charged a delivery fee, instead of the FREE delivery that we currently have. Oh, and don't forget that next week the postage would rise to $4 in the name of a "fuel surcharge". Be careful what you wish for!!!

Peopple get use to governamnt subsidised service and would scream if they actually had to pay fully ofr it. Just like roads i front of their house. they need to see waht it cost without profit for government to pave that road with just chip seal.Governamnt evrythign spoils us all.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Peopple get use to governamnt subsidised service and would scream if they actually had to pay fully ofr it. Just like roads i front of their house. they need to see waht it cost without profit for government to pave that road with just chip seal.Governamnt evrythign spoils us all.

The United States Postal Service is federally mandated to be self-supporting and receives no federal subsidies.

The USPS is also mandated to deliver to EVERY address, EVERY day. That means, to all those places that the private guys won't touch because they aren't profitable!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:44 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,605 times
Why didn't you just get in line & give the letters to the person behind the counter to stamp & pay there? I've done that before myself - no big deal.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I LIKE the PO. I have almost never had something be "lost", and for less than 50cents I can send something across the country in just 2-4 days! Amazing! And, as someone previously said, stamps hold their value (or increase, as with the Forever stamp), so it is not going to put you out to have extras.

I like the PO too. It's wonderful to receive magazines in the mail every week and to be able to mail things that go over 3000 miles & it only costs 48 cents.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I would never like to see our local post office close. It is such a model of "how NOT to run a business."

Among other things:
1) It does not open on time everyday.
2) They hired a deaf-mute as a counter person which means that you have to sit there and manually write out what you need.
3) You can ship IDENTICAL goods to the SAME place and get three different rates.
4) 24 people in line with one counter person from 12-1 PM.
5) And don't complain if you want to get your mail ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products