Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,340 times

Advertisements

I'm a big fan of the (original) blue and yellow Scrunge pads originally made by 3M. The ones I'm talking about have a blue plastic textured scrubber side and a yellow foam sponge on the other side (not a cellulose or fiber type traditional sponge material). 3M quit making them years ago, and apparently a German firm makes several products under the Scrunge name now, including the orginal style and maybe some heavier duty ones. I never see these in Kroger around Atlanta. Does anyone know if they are still distributed and where to find them in bricks and mortar retailers? Even if you are not in Atlanta, do you see them in your area? I'm sure I'm not alone in being a fan of this simple and effective product.

I know this topic has been covered by other message boards, and maybe even on City-Data before, so I apologize in advance if this subject has already been covered.

Thank you for any helpful information you might provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Like this?

Scotch-Brite home cleaning products by 3M

Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Thanks for the response. No, the Scotch-Brite products are not quite what I was looking for, but thanks anyway.

And a correction/amplification: I ran across an old Scrunge package under my sink for the Heavy Duty Scrunge...a really OLD package. The manufacturer was Mercury Foam Corporation, which doing a little research for, seems to have passed into the hands of another company. That company makes various products, including industrial scrubbing sponge products but does not show the Scrunge line as one of their trademark items. I'm guessing that the line or the rights to it were sold off or assigned to another party, and maybe 3M was that party for a bit. If the Scrunge line is still out there, it looks to be from a German firm, but since I have not found them, I just don't know.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Could this be what your looking for?

O-Cedar - Products - Scouring Sponges - Scrubber Sponges (http://www.ocedar.com/main.taf?erube_fh=ocedar&ocedar.submit.getProducts =1&ocedar.subcategoryID=18 - broken link)

Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Could this be what your looking for?

O-Cedar - Products - Scouring Sponges - Scrubber Sponges (http://www.ocedar.com/main.taf?erube_fh=ocedar&ocedar.submit.getProducts =1&ocedar.subcategoryID=18 - broken link)
Thanks.

The kitchen version (by Vileda) might be close...if they have it with a foam type backing rather than what appears to be a typical cellulose type sponge element. The problem with the typical cellulose material is that it gets nasty and smelly...even a good washing and soaking or run through a dishwasher never seems to get it clean...also cholorine bleach will lead to their early demise. The foam type although not as absorbent rinses clean for the most part without collapsing or retaining odor.

In any event I at least have some new directions to head in my pursuit.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,797 times
I think I found it! I am hooked on the original scrunge, too. I went to the Vileda site and found PUR Active sponges that look just like the easy grip sponge! They must have sold the Scrunge name to OCedar or something.
Unfortunately, I have not found a place, even online, to buy them. I have emailed Vileda to inquire.
Welcome to the official Vileda website!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Did you look at Post #4 above?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,797 times
Unfortunately the OCedar variety have the cellulose sponge encorporated into the scrunge. As a previous poster mentioned, that causes a terrible smell that is difficult to get rid of. I did get an email response back and it seams that item is not available in the U.S.A. Will have to find someone in another country to get it or make a roadtrip to Canada!! Would be great if someone would buy them in another country and list them on Ebay!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,231 times
I'm looking for the Scrunge Cookware Plus pads too! They are perfect for dishwashing - you use the soft yellow side for easy cleaning & the blue tougher (but not too tough) side for frying pans, etc. I cannot find them anywhere! I have something similar but they're too hard to use! I have Publix heavy duty sponge but they're not what I want.

Thanks! Karen

Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Find a restaurant supply store and buy a large package of them in bulk. The kind of store that has gallon jugs of mayonnaise and 20-pound boxes of spaghetti, where nursing homes buy their food. You may be able to get them for about a quarter of the price you would pay if you bought them singly in a regular retail store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products