Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post

Thats insane.
The insane part is that still people won't quit. I smoked for 20 years and quit, cold turkey, so I don't want to hear all this crap about 'addiction', etc. It really sucked when I quit, a rough couple of weeks, and the urge was around months and months.

But I made an agreement with myself, and if I can't/won't honor a commitment I make to myself, how can I honor commitments to others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Sweetlady71, the manufacture increase a couple of weeks ago was just pure greed....they know sales will drop some come April 1st....we are the fools.....

Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM

214 posts, read 560,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
The price hike ~2 weeks ago was from the manufactures....the tax hike (new) starts tomorrow I believe.....
I got my Carton of Newports from an Indian Reservation. A few weeks ago they were $25 a carton. The new price is $35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
What state are you from please? Also I agree with Bones the fed tax increase doesn't start until April 1, 2009.
Florida.

All of the Cig prices have already gone up where I live.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 PM

214 posts, read 560,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The insane part is that still people won't quit. I smoked for 20 years and quit, cold turkey, so I don't want to hear all this crap about 'addiction', etc. It really sucked when I quit, a rough couple of weeks, and the urge was around months and months.

But I made an agreement with myself, and if I can't/won't honor a commitment I make to myself, how can I honor commitments to others?
20 years of smoking can still cause Cancer so get regular screenings will ya

However the topic of this thread is just to see what people are paying for Cigs in there state, nobody was asking about your commitments you make to your self or others. Thanks for coming in and steering the topic in a different direction.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM

253 posts, read 805,770 times
Default i c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Sweetlady71, the manufacture increase a couple of weeks ago was just pure greed....they know sales will drop some come April 1st....we are the fools.....
i heard this on tv this morning to, something about they raised cost before hand to offset loss in sales they say will happen when new tax takes affect, so i get it, they get us hooked, smile when they take our money as we continue to be hooked, and then take more to make up for the loss when we quit cuz we cant afford their product no more...hmmmm...how sweet!!!(NOT)...

Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 PM

253 posts, read 805,770 times
Default cuz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Why aren't they adding more tax to beer? Go Bama Go Bama.......YEAH!!!!!!
cuz hon, all the soccer moms who are getten even with us for not talken to them in highschool(this is how one friend put it to me, and i laughed!!) right now are more focused on getten us to quit and control our lives, claimen they dont want to pay for our lung cancer when we get it....(i have medical that will pay for mine...anyways..)
they have to wait till we are all gone first before they will then go after the drunks that run over kids and etc, but look out...its next...but right now, still cheap to drink yourself to death, get liver cancer,or worse yet...kill someonel else.....oh wait...only smokers kill everyone, my bad.(which for the recored, i feel getten folks off booze so they dont drink and drive is more vital then nailen smokers....but i will laugh when we are all gone and then people realize its the industry pollution and black smoke blow'n vehicals out there really ruining our air more then smokers, not to mention some folks nasty smellen colognes...but no one cares when that effects others. oh well...off topic i know.
am curiuous, i lived in MI 2 yrs ago, and when i left, it was like 50 and up for a carton, whats it up to now???
and up there, alot of us rolled our own to save money, but i guess thats going up real high now....man...ya cant win for tryen can ya?? i see it now...tobbacco gardens will be poppen up behind the taters....lol

Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM

145 posts, read 301,705 times
First it is going to be this then when people stop smoking there will be something new to tax.It will be a never ending cycle of taxing people to live free..sad. I got a carton of marlboro for $49.90 here in Indiana. Sure makes me glad that I don't live some other places that is up to $70.00 a carton ,ouch.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
I wonder how hard it would be to grow tobacco in my back yard?

I could dry it in the attic.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

One of my friends quit last time tax hike (about a year ago-ish I think?). But then due to stress-related issues he started smoking again. He's quitting again and it seems to be going better for him and he's got a lot of people rooting him on.
My SO's mother quit cold turkey a while back (with the help of medication) and hasn't looked back since she says. She said she hasn't had any urges, and had very few during the quitting process but the drug had some weird side effects.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 17,448 times
If you're looking for cheaper smokes check out the Cherokee Brand. If you live in VA, TN, SC, NC or WV you can buy them online for about $23 a carton. Of course they have to verify age but it's a really convenient and affordable way to buy smokes. IMO they are just as good as the "premium" brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products