Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Oh good grief, if you don't want to be tracked by one of these cards, just give them a phony name, etc., get the card and then use it to get all the discounted prices the card offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 AM

515 posts, read 1,180,193 times
Sure seems like there are a LOT of people posting in this thread who can't be bothered to read all that has been said before.

If you can't be bothered to read the thread, why do you even post to it? All that happens is that you post the same Moderator cut: language that others have already said and others have countered.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-02-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Do they come with a free tinfoil hat?
What you should know before making a tin foil hat.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,726 times
While I get that you do not want the card there was still no reason to yell at the cashier for doing thier job. I get tired of the cashier at target asking me if I want to open a credit card, very simply I say No thank-you. And I am at Target constantly. Being annoyed at hearing the question is no excuse for being mean. If you knew it bugged you then you should have switched stores sooner.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
The ones that annoy me are the offers for the CREDIT cards at the checkout. Every once in a while, I'll acquiesce. And it'll tell them "no" and then I get a letter in the mail a week later. Hello! I KNOW it's going to reject the freaking application already!

Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
The card is used for marketing purposes although there is really no way they are going to or can check that you fill the little application form out with your proper information

Old 05-03-2009, 03:09 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Usually the only items I ever buy at CVS are Condoms and soda. I havent recieved any coupons in the mail for either one. I wish I would though. I now buy my Condoms and Soda at Target because its cheaper.

You can get condoms far cheaper on line at condomdepot.com and they don't ask for any card! My husband and I buy them for parties this way.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I come from a part of the country where you don't need a car to shop anywhere. I'm totally puzzled as to what's behind all this. For whatever reason, I avoid these stores as I hate carrying one more card in my wallet than necessary. I don't even carry credit cards in my wallet, having been the victim of a mugging years ago.

I got so irritated yesterday, when at CVS Pharmacy, when for the umteenth time over various visits, they asked me: Do you have your CVS card, I told the clerk I would not be returning to their store in the future, as I'm tired of the harrassment. And I plan to email CVS Pharmacy telling them the reasons I no longer plan to shop at their stores.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I feel this is an infringement of my privacy and I don't want the government tracking my spending habits.

Anyone else feel the same about these card stores, or am I the only one?

Well, guess what. They have a license to soliciting to you so if you don't like them to do their jobs then you better start shopping at flee markets where nobody wants anything but cash. I work retail and get the occasional customer that gets mad because i am doing MY JOB. And when they are telling me that they will not return to our store I just smile and say...Okey! No gain no loss. As far as CVS card or similar cards they works as coupons and I love it. If they want to track my spending habits then do it. I have nothing to hide.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The companies use the card to track your buying habits: I use fixodent so when I buy a tube a store coupon for Polident gets spit out. It also helps them target advertising. The Safeway I shop at also has gas so I can (or rather my kids usually do) get a gas discount for every $100 of groceries (tracked by the store card). Last time I got gas there it was 1.89 -.90=.99/gal.

wow, I only get .10 off the gas at safeway. You got 90 cents!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If they want to track my spending habits then do it. I have nothing to hide.
Until "they" change what they're looking for ....

This is how liberties erode, slowly and seemingly quite innocently. Kinda like when you're in the hot tub and the temperature increases by one degree every few minutes. You don't realize you're roasting to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products