Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which store do you prefer?
Walmart 25 26.60%
Target 69 73.40%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,558,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
pretty much all the food at walmart is crap (meat/produce/seafood) quantity over quality baby!!! dats the american way!
Yup, the people who shop there for food are going after bang-for-buck instead of quality. It's a shame that quality ingredients are so damn expensive, and so few people know what to do with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Yup, the people who shop there for food are going after bang-for-buck instead of quality. It's a shame that quality ingredients are so damn expensive, and so few people know what to do with them.
not true though, in Chicago you can go to indian and asian stores and buy bulk spices, grains, legumes, cheaper produce at neighborhood grocery stores (stanley's), go to meat markets for meat, farmers markets, etc...
yeah it isn't organic or exotic, but at least it is real food from scratch.

but I get what you are saying, they can get a ton of calories in a giant box of frosted flakes or hamburger helper even cheaper than that at walmart. or a 10 piece kfc family meal and not even have to cook, tons of calories.

I was at the grocery store for a few quick items today, and a guy in front of me paying with food stamps bought 10 2 liters of cheap soda and 5 big bags of lays potato chips...I think they need to start handing out stuff at commodity houses again to solve the obesity problem.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
not true though, in Chicago you can go to indian and asian stores and buy bulk spices, grains, legumes, cheaper produce at neighborhood grocery stores (stanley's), go to meat markets for meat, farmers markets, etc...

but I get what you are saying, they can get a ton of calories in a giant box of frosted flakes or hamburger helper even cheaper than that at walmart. or a 10 piece kfc family meal and not even have to cook, tons of calories.

I was at the grocery store for a few quick items today, and a guy in front of me paying with food stamps bought 10 2 liters of cheap soda and 5 big bags of lays potato chips...
i know this is off subject.........

have you heard about the deal that little caesars has going on?

you go for pick and just walk right in without calling ahead and a pizza is ready for you without waiting. The price is only 5.00

I can only imagine how that taste

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
i know this is off subject.........

have you heard about the deal that little caesars has going on?

you go for pick and just walk right in without calling ahead and a pizza is ready for you without waiting. The price is only 5.00

I can only imagine how that taste

mmm mmm fill ma belly, yes there is a guy standing outside little caesars on the road everyday...

they even have valet parking at longhorn steakhouse b/c its so classy and people are too fat to walk to the front door from the parking lot.

here u go... typical strecth of drive down the main street the capital is on for about 2 miles in tallahassee... in order, and this is NOT the college side ...

shoneys, village inn, sonnys bbq, firehouse subs, little caesars, 5 dollar chinese buffet, 5 dollar mexican buffet, subway, tcby, whataburger, krispy kreme, longhorn steakhouse, arbys, dairy queen, ihop, zaxbys, red lobster, lindys chicken, quiznos, drive through starbucks, chik fil a, kfc, mcdonalds, another cheap mexican, hooters, ole times country buffet, wendys, more cheap mexican, on the border, then golden corral.

this is pretty much in order in a 2 mile stretch of the typical food offering here, there are about 3-4 more stretches like this... same in the most 100-300k size southern cities... (to relate to other thread as well)

mmm mmm mmm! thats some eatingz!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Quote:

I was at the grocery store for a few quick items today, and a guy in front of me paying with food stamps bought 10 2 liters of cheap soda and 5 big bags of lays potato chips...I think they need to start handing out stuff at commodity houses again to solve the obesity problem.
True about the Asian and Indian and Mexican shops in general...but in the areas where Wal-Marts are involved, there aren't always those options.

Yup, I've been in line behind people using food stamps before and they're buying mostly junk and frozen food. The funniest was being in a convenience store and seeing some guy arguing with the cashier about what he could and couldn't buy with his food stamps. He was trying to buy cigarettes, gum and beef jerky. Finally the cashier told him to step aside and rung up my 12-pack of Heineken. Couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
What's with all of the obesity jokes? You all DO realize that we fit and lean types are VASTLY outnumbered by overweight people in America now by roughly a 2:1 margin, right? I wouldn't tick too many of these people off, lest they decide to eat us in a famine!

Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 PM

342 posts, read 685,589 times
Hey I don't know if anyone knows about this but walmart is opening a mexican walmart in houston on long point rd. Its going to be like a regular walmart but they only going to see mexican items.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 PM

342 posts, read 685,589 times
And if that goes well there are goin to be more popping up around the country

Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Hey I don't know if anyone knows about this but walmart is opening a mexican walmart in houston on long point rd. Its going to be like a regular walmart but they only going to see mexican items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
And if that goes well there are goin to be more popping up around the country
This is Wal-Mart's way of benefiting America how?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:51 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
mmm mmm fill ma belly, yes there is a guy standing outside little caesars on the road everyday...

they even have valet parking at longhorn steakhouse b/c its so classy and people are too fat to walk to the front door from the parking lot.

here u go... typical strecth of drive down the main street the capital is on for about 2 miles in tallahassee... in order, and this is NOT the college side ...

shoneys, village inn, sonnys bbq, firehouse subs, little caesars, 5 dollar chinese buffet, 5 dollar mexican buffet, subway, tcby, whataburger, krispy kreme, longhorn steakhouse, arbys, dairy queen, ihop, zaxbys, red lobster, lindys chicken, quiznos, drive through starbucks, chik fil a, kfc, mcdonalds, another cheap mexican, hooters, ole times country buffet, wendys, more cheap mexican, on the border, then golden corral.

this is pretty much in order in a 2 mile stretch of the typical food offering here, there are about 3-4 more stretches like this... same in the most 100-300k size southern cities... (to relate to other thread as well)

mmm mmm mmm! thats some eatingz!
they have valet parking at longhorn steakhouse? A person can eat there for 15 bucks. LOL.

All of those restaruants that you listed are just disgusting. The same thing is in SC so I know that it is true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products