Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:26 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I know mother's day is not until next month, but considering how lousy I am at deciding what to get, I though I would try to get a head start for two of my special ladies; Mom and Wife .

Any suggestions guys and gals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
bouqet of Lilly's or tulips and if possible spending some time with her .. If she isnt near try marthastewart.com

Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
I personally don't care for flowers. Do you have young kids? If so, then your wife probably values her alone time. Maybe a gift certificate to a spa. That's probably what I would want most!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
As a mother, I would love any of these:

- a dozen fresh multi-colored roses (I did receive them two years ago, and I dried them upside down and still enjoy them. The multi-colors make them look different and pretty.)

- any recent best-selling book that my children or spouse would think I would enjoy. I prefer non-fiction myself.

- a gift certificate to a nice (but not too expensive) restaurant (and they would accompany me)

- a pair of simple earrings. Whenever I wore them, I'd think of them.

- a simple summery nightgown

- several blackberry plants so I could finally get around to growing them

- a rose bush, lilac, or butterfly bush.

- a certificate for a basic (not too expensive) professional family portrait (and set the date for it), even if it was Sears, Penneys, or Walmart.

One more thing -- and the one that is probably the best one and costs nothing: A sincere, loving, well-thought-out, legible, handwritten letter that expresses what your mother means to you...sort of a living eulogy but not sounding like one. Imagine her not being around any more and what you'd like to say, and then write it (in the present tense, of course).

If you can't say anything nice, then forget the letter idea.

Too bad nobody else in the family reads city-data.com.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
As a mother, I would love any of these:

- a dozen fresh multi-colored roses (I did receive them two years ago, and I dried them upside down and still enjoy them. The multi-colors make them look different and pretty.)

- any recent best-selling book that my children or spouse would think I would enjoy. I prefer non-fiction myself.

- a gift certificate to a nice (but not too expensive) restaurant (and they would accompany me)

- a pair of simple earrings. Whenever I wore them, I'd think of them.

- a simple summery nightgown

- several blackberry plants so I could finally get around to growing them

- a rose bush, lilac, or butterfly bush.

- a certificate for a basic (not too expensive) professional family portrait (and set the date for it), even if it was Sears, Penneys, or Walmart.

One more thing -- and the one that is probably the best one and costs nothing: A sincere, loving, well-thought-out, legible, handwritten letter that expresses what your mother means to you...sort of a living eulogy but not sounding like one. Imagine her not being around any more and what you'd like to say, and then write it (in the present tense, of course).

If you can't say anything nice, then forget the letter idea.

Too bad nobody else in the family reads city-data.com.
Thank you very much lovebrentwood, these are all good ideas . I am now armed, locked and loaded with ideas of what to get both for MOM and Wife .

Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Cook and clean and do the yard work.

If you can't do it yourself, hire someone.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
what about jewelry ? that is always a welcome gift at least in my house it is . or maybe as someone else suggested a spa gift certificate ? good luck what ever you choose .

Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Yes, I'd love a certificate (from a professional housekeeping company) for a house cleaning, too. That would be incredible.

(And I did mention jewelry -- simple earrings. If you go simple, you can't go wrong unless you really know your wife or mother likes crazy or artistic earrings...but your perception of crazy or artistic may be different than that of the recipient.)

The important thing is to really think about the PERSON -- who they are, what they like, and what they do. Show that you put some thought into it.

Example: I have no use for spas. But maybe your wife or mother would love them.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,069 times
Default Mother's Day Gift Ideas

Yes, here s one-it is really cute- personalized notecards, check out [url=http://www.someonespoilme.com/gifts/mothers-day-gifts/]Mother's Day Gifts - Mother's Day Gift Ideas - Mothers Day Gifts – Mother's Day[/url] for other great gift ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Mother's Day Gift Suggestion Anyone?-picture-64.png  

Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Spa day with a facial, massage, manicure and pedicure; in other words, the works. Then, maybe lunch for mom and a nice dinner for your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products