U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer to shop or visit:
Lifestyle Centers 15 46.88%
Enclosed Malls 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:47 PM

19,378 posts, read 20,186,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
This is what we have in the desert. I prefer these kinds of shopping experiences to the big, over air-conditioned behemoth malls.

The River At Rancho Mirage
My son works there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,707,668 times
I picked "Lifestyle Centers". I live in the NE Phoenix/N Scottsdale area. We have shopping everywhere no matter what you call it.

Tho there are a couple different takes on it. Desert Ridge is probably closest to what you are calling a "lifestyle center". Kierland Commons and its newer clone sister across the street Scottsdale Quarter (and its semi-clone cousin up by Desert Ridge, City North) is the whole "faux urban live/work/dine/play/shop/spend your disposable income" variety with loft over retail and so on.

We have two nearby traditional indoor malls. Paradise Valley-your daily run of the mill mall. Scottsdale Fashion Square I really like-and an added bonus is I work right next door so very convenient. Fashion Square Mall is cool-it has a partially retractable skylight roof that is open to the outdoors air on nice days.

The format of shopping isn't really a big deal to me. It is can I find what I want within a reasonable distance from my home. Answer is definitely yes.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM

3,169 posts, read 8,264,455 times
I'm not a huge shopper, but Lifestyle Centers are better to me by far.

I hate being cooped up inside a mall to go shopping. I'd much rather get a breath of fresh air every time I leave a store. Malls also strike me as very wasteful. Do we really need gigantic climate-controlled hallways with fountains every 10 feet? Wouldn't that space be better used as a plaza where people can watch a concert or just sit on a bench and enjoy the weather?

I'm not at all surprised that malls are doing horribly right now. Frankly, I'm surprised they aren't doing more horribly. In the next 20-30 years, I think you'll see all but the most successful indoor malls turned into outdoor lifestyle centers.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:40 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,377,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post

I hate being cooped up inside a mall to go shopping. I'd much rather get a breath of fresh air every time I leave a store. Malls also strike me as very wasteful. Do we really need gigantic climate-controlled hallways with fountains every 10 feet? Wouldn't that space be better used as a plaza where people can watch a concert or just sit on a bench and enjoy the weather?

I'm not at all surprised that malls are doing horribly right now. Frankly, I'm surprised they aren't doing more horribly. In the next 20-30 years, I think you'll see all but the most successful indoor malls turned into outdoor lifestyle centers.
Lifestyle centers usually consume more land than the indoor malls.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 PM

15,572 posts, read 37,125,227 times
Maybe so, but it's land that can be used for other things besides just shopping. For example, at The River in Rancho Mirage, which is in my area (see a couple of posts above), they also have outdoor concerts. These concerts last well past midnight sometimes - when the stores are all closed. I don't mean loud, headbanger concerts that disturb everyone. Just nice, guitar type concerts.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,436,521 times
Quote:

I agree..Some lifestyle or "towne centers" I enjoy are Perkins Rowe in Baton Rouge, La., Hunt Valley town center in the Baltimore area, which was a mall in it's previous life, Kingstowne in Alexandria, VA, Reston Town Center and Pentagon Row in Arlington. I like the fact that they not only draw people together for shopping, but entertainment as well. They foster a sense of community, where at a mall, your primary objective is to go in, shop and get out.

I also enjoyed the "new" dowtown Silver Spring when I lived in the area, except a whole street was turned into an outdoor shopping and dining area Vs. an existing mall.

From what I gather, I believe the mall in Springfield, VA is in the process of being converted into a town center.

I don't think malls will become extinct, but I am sure we will see fewer of them in their current form as time goes on. King of Prussia mall, though I'm sure will remain a mall, as it's huge and converting it into an outdoor shopping center would be next to impossible. Additionally each time I go, it's jam packed and weekends are insane.

Last edited by Gil3; 04-22-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Lifestyle centers usually consume more land than the indoor malls.
They don't have to though. Gil brought up Pentagon Row- that's a lifestyle center with mostly underground parking (there is a surface lot, but not nearly as big as a mall lot) and two floors of retail with apartments on top. It's an efficient use of a fairly small space, and it still has a plaza for concerts and an ice skating rink in the winter.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
From what I gather, I believe the mall in Springfield, VA is in the process of being converted into a town center.
It is. Landmark Mall a few exits up 395 is also going to be converted into a town center.

Quote:
I don't think malls will become extinct, but I am sure we will see fewer of them in their current form as time goes on. King of Prussia mall, though I'm sure will remain a mall, as it's huge and converting it into an outdoor shopping center would be next to impossible. Additionally each time I go, it's jam packed and weekends are insane.
King of Prussia was one of the very successful ones I was thinking of that will always be a mall. I think the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City is another.

On the other hand, I could see some of King Of Prussia's competitors in the Philadelphia area, like Plymouth Meeting Mall and Montgomery Mall, going the lifestyle center route. Plymouth Meeting Mall is sort of heading that way by adding a bunch of restaurants that don't connect to the mall.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,436,521 times
Quote:
It is. Landmark Mall a few exits up 395 is also going to be converted into a town center.

King of Prussia was one of the very successful ones I was thinking of that will always be a mall. I think the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City is another.

On the other hand, I could see some of King Of Prussia's competitors in the Philadelphia area, like Plymouth Meeting Mall and Montgomery Mall, going the lifestyle center route. Plymouth Meeting Mall is sort of heading that way by adding a bunch of restaurants that don't connect to the mall.
Thanks for the clarification regarding Landmark, pcity. I thought they were going to shut down Landmark altogether, but at least they will still utilize the space. True..Pentagon City will more than likely remain. To be honest, it's a nice place to go when it's not packed. I always liked the open air design.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,790,521 times
Good lord, I didn't realize is was so un-cool to shop in a Mall.

I like them both....in the summer, I'd pick the indoor mall and in the winter the outdoor....lifestyle center is it?

Most are called open air markets down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products