Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:46 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times

Advertisements

I was standing in line at a Trader Joe's this evening, while a woman standing behind me was nosing over all the items in my basket. It was not a quick glance -- she was looking over my entire basket of 12 items, almost studying every single item. I looked at her, where she then looked away as though she knew she was being somewhat rude.

Does anybody else get annoyed by other customers who need to look over everything you're purchasing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times
I don't care. Let 'em look. Nosy people are insecure and I am not. Doesn't really bother me.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Not really. In fact, sometimes I wonder what people must think if they look in my basket. For instance: I buy some of my groceries at Walmart but never their produce. I have found myself wondering, as I put all of my food on the conveyer belt, that people must think we don't eat very healthy food simply because my healthier food I buy elsewhere. Other than that, I really never thought about it. I really don't care.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I was standing in line at a Trader Joe's this evening, while a woman standing behind me was nosing over all the items in my basket. It was not a quick glance -- she was looking over my entire basket of 12 items, almost studying every single item. I looked at her, where she then looked away as though she knew she was being somewhat rude.

Does anybody else get annoyed by other customers who need to look over everything you're purchasing?
Well first of all, if you were at Trader Joe's then the person probably wasn't looking at what you were buying because they cared about what YOU were buying, they were probably just looking at the stuff you had in your basket. "ooh, look, mandarin chicken, I didn't know they had mandarin chicken, wonder where she found that. Oh, darn I forgot to pick up the chocolate covered almonds, damn. Yum sweet potato french fries, maybe I'll get those the next time I am here. Wow, frozen Naan, that sounds perfect, you can just take out what you need and heat it up, only Trader Joes would have something like that!" Finding new and interesting stuff to buy is part of shopping at trader joes and I get ideas from stuff in other people's carts.....

Secondly, waiting in line is somewhat boring. You can look at the cashier, the back of the next person's head, what they are trying to sell on the racks next to you, the tile floor, through your purse, the loose ceiling tile, someone's shoes, the stuff in the basket of the person in front of you.... Get my drift?

Thirdly, who cares if someone looks at what you are buying? Unless you are buying a cartful of electronics and you are worried about being followed home by a potential burglar then what does it matter.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
It would be kind of offsetting but what's more annoying is when people stand so close behind you in line.
I was at the Post Office the other day and the guy behind me was so close, if I would have stepped back just a slight bit I would have hit him.
I almost started to turn around and ask, "Do you mind?!"

Next time I will because it really bugs me.

I also hate it when people stand too close when you're trying to enter your pin or sign your signature on the little pinpad.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It would be kind of offsetting but what's more annoying is when people stand so close behind you in line.
I was at the Post Office the other day and the guy behind me was so close, if I would have stepped back just a slight bit I would have hit him.

I also hate it when people stand too close when you're trying to enter your pin or sign your signature on the little pinpad.:mad:

Yeah there is cause for concern there but as far as scoping out what I have in my grocery cart could care less/ lots of times people will ask..Where did you find that? I didn't know they carried that here etc etc

Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 AM

413 posts, read 1,368,585 times
It doesn't bother me. I did have a woman looking over my cart and told me she would never make lasagna from scratch when you can get one frozen. I told her good thing she told me that so I wouldn't invite her over for dinner.

I have a personal space thing. I don't like it when people I don't know get too close. When I went shopping with a friend and I was about to entire my pin number she noticed this woman watching me do my card. So she went and got between the woman and I and totally blocked her from watching me put in my pin number. It might sound paranoid but better paranoid than having to deal with identity theft.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I also hate it when people stand too close when you're trying to enter your pin or sign your signature on the little pinpad.
I stand my ground. I refuse to allow anyone to invade my space. If anything, I will move closer to them, if I feel they are encroaching my space, so they feel uncomfortable.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I stand my ground. I refuse to allow anyone to invade my space. If anything, I will move closer to them, if I feel they are encroaching my space, so they feel uncomfortable.
Lady, when one is as gorgeous as you are, they are not going to feel uncomfortable if you went as far as pressing yourself against them - as a matter of fact, they would consider it a turn-on!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:32 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I see no reason why someone looking at my purchases would bother me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products