Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:23 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times

Advertisements

I just came out of RiteAid here in Portland. It was bad enough I had to go to this store 2 times to fill this script due to limited supplies there.

I have been to this store before and notice dogs are constantly in there. This particular time there were dogs mostly huge breeds, german shepard, Rothweiler, cocker spaniel in this particular store. It is a very small inner city RiteAid. .

In all fairness to RiteAid I have noticed dogs in other stores here in Portland, Safeway, and other local grocery chains including some of the fast food chains here. I have seen it also in the suburbs here. Is this allowed all over the country or could it be more less isolated to this area. This is a city/Metro with many alternative type people and I feel that is the reason this is being allowed. The stores must feel obliged to cater to the population here to stay in business. I've never seen this elsewhere in the country other than seeing eye dogs. I admit today I was afraid to walk up the narrow aisle when I saw the Rothweiler notice me walking.
I won't be going to this store again.

I like dogs as much as anyone but this seems way out of line. I think it looks terrible and down right dangerous in the small RiteAid store. No one knows if several dogs are going to go at it especially these huge breeds. Someone could really get hurt. Is this all over America now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
I agree! Unless its a pet store that promotes it, I do not like the idea of pets in stores - I don't care if they are large or small or friendly or part of the family...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Me neither. Except those little small ones that can ride in the carts or in someone's bag.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Love dogs but they do not belong in most stores (especially a grocery or pharmacy). Big or little makes no difference (little dogs can snap and snarl as well as big dogs and IMO dogs do not belong in purses) - the only exception would be service dogs of course. Some people are afraid or allergic. They should be able to go to do their most basic shopping without fear or anxiety. A dog in a grocery store is just as wrong as wrong can be. I don't want to be purchasing food and bring it home to find dog hair on it. I have enough in my own house without bringing home someone else's.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Thanks for answering the thread. Everyone seems to feel the same way on the subject. I hope none of you are experiencing this in your retail in your areas. I sent an email to RiteAid this evening about this, wanting to know if this is their local policy or nationwide I know I never see dogs in the RiteAids when I visit the east coast.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:21 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,479 times
I personally love dogs and like seeing them in stores, though I can understand why some people would not

Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Grrr. I don't like it, but that's another thing customers with no common sense do...even if it is clearly posted that only service animals are allowed, or it would make sense to the average person that dogs (or other pets) are not allowed. Some do leave them in the truck, but I have seen a dog hanging out of a window by its chain, strangling to death. Yes, stupid dog got out the window but it doesn't deserve to die.

What happens if your dog needs the bathroom while in the store? Are YOU going to clean it up? Not in *my* experience.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,098 times
I also do not like dogs in planes...not comfortable to fly 3 hrs with a yapping dog...You can't keep screaming kids off planes, but dogs belong in the baggage compartment.. (children in the over head bin)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Even though I personally like dogs, I just don't want them in the stores let alone the plane. Im seeing it more and more thats why I started this thread. I just really can't see animals in the stores period unless its an animal for ones disability.

I have even seen just this month alone a woman with two rabbits with their heads sticking out of her coat at the Safeway. Im sure those rabbits would of loved to jump out and eat the carrots in the produce section where I saw her. The worst thing I have seen though is and it must be some kind of sub culture group. Young early 20's girls with punk type outfits and haircolors with pet mice that they keep in their pockets and let them run up their arms. I have seen that twice while riding on the light rail here. I got up and moved on that one.

Yes this is my last year in this city and I can't leave fast enough. Now that I think about it the dogs in the stores are probably the most normal thing I have seen in Portland.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 AM

I just wanted to add this since I just heard from Rite Aid on this. I was told the reason that I am seeing such large dogs in their store here is due to the neighborhood it is located in. It isn't a policy that is in RiteAId stores on a nationwide basis.

It is located in the Pearl District of Portland the local version of trendy neighborhoods. The percentage of dog owners is so high that this particular RiteAid requested permission to allow all breeds into its store as other businesses also do. When I told them I was afraid to be in such a close crowded enviroment with so many big dogs it didn't seem to matter, beyond the employee saying she wouldn't like it either.

I can't say I was surprised, I figured it had to do with the type of resident in that neighborhood. The dogs are everywhere, from some of the restaurants to the grocery stores and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products