Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ohio police are pissed with Verizon after the company refused to help them find a missing 62-year-old man unless they paid his overdue $20 of his overdue cellphone bill.
Verizon: Verizon Willing To Let 62-Year-Old Man Die Unless Cops Pay $20 Of His Overdue Bill (http://consumerist.com/5265854/verizon-willing-to-let-62+year+old-man-die-unless-cops-pay-20-of-his-overdue-bill - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,941 times
I work with the corporate communications group at Verizon Wireless; in response to the Times-Reporter story, Verizon Wireless has provided the following statement: “Verizon Wireless apologizes for our mistake. This particular issue has now been resolved. We will work to ensure our exemplary service to our nation’s first responders is on track, and we remind law enforcement to use our 24-7 hotline for public safety needs.”

Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 PM

sounds like a canned response to me. Especially given the man could have died. And really? Call the 800 number instead? Did you forget to provide which number to push once they got the computer on the phone? If you're a police officer, press one. If you're a judge, press two...

So thrilled to have T-Mobile.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrummey View Post
I work with the corporate communications group at Verizon Wireless; in response to the Times-Reporter story, Verizon Wireless has provided the following statement: “Verizon Wireless apologizes for our mistake. This particular issue has now been resolved. We will work to ensure our exemplary service to our nation’s first responders is on track, and we remind law enforcement to use our 24-7 hotline for public safety needs.”
They better work harder on that "exemplary service" part. Verizon has some of the WORST customer service I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, Verizon has better cell phone reception where I live than any of the others, or I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Their "apology" leaves a lot to be desired. Corporate b*stards!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Except for our initial contract with Verizon, years and years ago, I would have to say that our experience has been quite positive. Honestly, it was a public statement. I'd guess that more went on behind the scenes but what else would you have them say? They called it a mistake, said it had been resolved and that they would continue to work on it and that there was a hotline. I know very few companies who have never made a mistake or had employees who made a poor decision. It's the ones who don't own up to their own mistakes and blame everyone else that I worry about.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:38 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I would have to say that my experience has usually been very positive with Verizon. Of course, I always pay my bill on time, but I have never had any problems with the many requests for changes that I have asked for,

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-24-2009, 04:38 PM

I think the employee who did that needs to be disciplined.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I think the employee who did that needs to be disciplined.
What makes you think they weren't? Because Verizon did not come back and say "Our employee has been fired/demoted/suspended because of this incident." If you make a mistake at work (even a very bad one) would you expect your employer to vocalize the steps it took with you personally in response?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:43 PM

I think in such a high publicity case such as this (that could have resulted in a fatality) then yes, it's more than appropriate to let the public know that the employee was disciplined.

Obviously ymmv.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Never had a problem with verizon. The police have had more incidents with 9-11 employees than this. One mistake doesn't make a company unresponsive.The company has no mandate to report to the public on disciplend really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products