Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 PM

416 posts, read 405,526 times

Advertisements

Its a poor tale if you can't tell what is bootleg and what is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 PM

23,541 posts, read 69,986,238 times
Went to Publix today and was served a nice little plate of saurkraut and sausage, carrots and salad. Was shown the free brochures on how to make inexpensive quick meals. Saw the mystery item in the store was a 1 cent half gallon of apple juice with coupon and $10 purchase. Asked where I could get the coupon, was told "don't bother, we'll ring it up at 1 cent anyway." DW sampled a black cherry and bought some.

Just thought I would raise the blood pressure of those who think sampling a grape is stealing. Publix, if you are reading, you rock. I used to think the customer service in FL Publix was OK (sans the lotto lines). In Alabama, the combo of good corporate ideas and people who grew up with great attitudes is a home run out of the park. This particular store was almost bare of customers six months ago. Now it is busier than the Pig and other groceries.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I do taste the grapes, store staff does not mind.
If we see you eat more than one, oh yes we do. That's our profits you're eating, especially when those grapes and other things are weighed by the pound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I always sample the grapes before I buy them.
I sample them even if I'm not planning to buy them.
You never know, they might be so good that I can't resist buying a few pounds.
If I can't make up my mind, I have to sample a few more.
If I still can't decide, I sample a few strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries.
^ and if you're caught sampling too much from those said berries, you'd be asked to leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
several ways to look at this one. I think it was way more common place and accepted years ago then it is now. the cost of doing business? eating free stuff, just to make sure it is fresh, or good enough for you to buy? in this day and age it is stealing and only drives the cost of goods up. it also about the consumer being too "cheap", not wanting "to chance" that the item isn't up to it's expense. combined that with being too lazy to want to "bother" to return it for a refund if, when you get home and it isn't up to your standards. if you are a "fruit taster before purchase" kinda shopper, the best thing to do would be to ask the produce man if his store cares or not if you graze.
THANK YOU!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I can see it being a problem if someone goes in to make a meal at the produce counters. But how often does that happen?
Quite often at sample displays. You'd be amazed at the people that come back for 2nds and 3rds. Also, about those sample trays you mentioned, especially those left without an attendant, think about all the nasty fingers that have reached in and have been close to the food you're eating. People will often pick things up and put them back down again, trying to find the best piece.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Does sampling the grape have anything to do with copying the middle class equitette?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,852,419 times
I was in the grocery Inventory trade for 23 yrs with two yrs during that time as a clerk/stocker.

My oldest son was in the produce dept for 33 yrs as a produce worker and produce dept mgr.

We both know the spoilege involved when it comes to the produce being fresh and safe to sell.

Some items are bought by lbs in a box (tomatos for example) others by so many packed in a case.

Not going to go thru the whole produce thing item by item. (people should get the picture)

Many items are seasonal...be it local or imported...depending on the season of source.

There is a certain markup on the produce taking into consideration spoilege and waste.

Some things in a Grocery Mkt are considered "Loss Leaders" as the hope is that a customer will pick up the sales on something in a different dept...Grocery...Liquor...Meat...and maybe a Bakery.

Bottom line is the "Net Profit" at the end of a 13 week (qtr) period.

That is why they would have my Inventory Service take an Inventory in the store every 3 months.

Steve

Old 06-21-2009, 09:12 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,347,416 times
Yes, it really is built in as the cost of doing biz. I do understand some folks' hesitency, like my husband. He wants no appearance of any type of wrong doings or to give anyone in the store a reason to question him!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM

717 posts, read 2,800,463 times
I don't even bother to look at them--so I wouldn't have a clue--Just curious though...not long ago a bunch of "bootleg" brand name toothpaste was selling at flea markets as "the real thing". It was in the box and sealed. You couldn't tell it was "bad" until you opened it-had a misprint on the tube--a tiny one at that. I think it came from China or something and had toxic stuff in it. I know your a real genius at this sort of thing--so how would you know it was fake before you bought it--if you didn't open the box????

whatever, it's a poor tale means...like who cares??? it was not my dumb analogy.

Once upon a time my job required me to recognize fake ID's--not DVD's or CD's

And what in the world is "middle class equitette" Guess you'll just have to overlook my small-town ignorance too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Its a poor tale if you can't tell what is bootleg and what is not.

Last edited by itsajourney; 06-21-2009 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 PM

717 posts, read 2,800,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Went to Publix today and was served a nice little plate of saurkraut and sausage, carrots and salad. Was shown the free brochures on how to make inexpensive quick meals. Saw the mystery item in the store was a 1 cent half gallon of apple juice with coupon and $10 purchase. Asked where I could get the coupon, was told "don't bother, we'll ring it up at 1 cent anyway." DW sampled a black cherry and bought some.

Just thought I would raise the blood pressure of those who think sampling a grape is stealing. Publix, if you are reading, you rock. I used to think the customer service in FL Publix was OK (sans the lotto lines). In Alabama, the combo of good corporate ideas and people who grew up with great attitudes is a home run out of the park. This particular store was almost bare of customers six months ago. Now it is busier than the Pig and other groceries.
Now dang-it Harry---I am envious!!! I LUV my Publix--which you can see is in Florida. We do not have a mystery item in the store for 1 cent. As for spending $10--no problem there--family of 6. Thank goodness only 4 still living at home. I spend well over $10 almost every time I go in there.

I suppose I could save a little money if I bought some canned/boxed goods at WalMart--but are you kidding me???? Publix is 2 blocks away-kind, courteous, pleasant, etc. Wal Mart is only 3 miles away--but it's a pain in my yazoo--frustrating as he**, NO customer service, no good deli, no decent fish deparatment, crowds, lines, parking way at the other end of the football field, etc.

Anyway, I was at Publix today too--bought 3 different Boar's Head Deli Meats & 2 cheeses--They tried to give me a piece of each. I wouldn't have had to eat for the rest of the day-but was going home to cook steaks on the grill--so I had to kindly refuse the free samples today.

Last edited by itsajourney; 06-21-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I don't even bother to look at them--so I wouldn't have a clue--Just curious though...not long ago a bunch of "bootleg" brand name toothpaste was selling at flea markets as "the real thing". It was in the box and sealed. You couldn't tell it was "bad" until you opened it-had a misprint on the tube--a tiny one at that. I think it came from China or something and had toxic stuff in it. I know your a real genius at this sort of thing--so how would you know it was fake before you bought it--if you didn't open the box????

whatever, it's a poor tale means...like who cares??? it was not my dumb analogy.

Once upon a time my job required me to recognize fake ID's--not DVD's or CD's

And what in the world is "middle class equitette" Guess you'll just have to overlook my small-town ignorance too....
Tootpaste or anything you put in your mouth, I would go to a supermarket.

When I mentioned "middle class equitette" I was referring to this when people said that they would sample the grape. That they would stand there in the supermarket and make all the gestures and lip smacking and approval gestures to prove that they have "taste" and pernache. Just like when people sample wine. Long ago, grapes were only for the rich.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Growing up, my mom always "checked out", as in ate one grape before buying the bunch to see if they were sweet. I never gave it much thought. My husband absolutely does not do this. So we have had bunches of horrible grapes.

It always seemed to me to be a "done" thing in grocery stores. No one ever looked askance, or said anything. I wonder if this is regional? This was in Chicago in the seventies.
My mother always did it, I always do it. I think the store expects you to try a grape, though if you are trying a handful of grapes they might get mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products