Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,227,286 times

Advertisements

I went to Lowe's today to look at some Whirlpool Side by Side refrigerators and found one that I liked. It wasn't on sale, but the salesperson said they only had two left and that it was being discontinued and most likely replaced by another model. I went online and looked at their entire catalog of Whirlpool Side x Side's and noticed that there is an identical looking model as the one I saw today with the same specifications and looks with the only difference being the model number. It said it should be available in stores at the end of the month. The price online for the forthcoming model was $300 more than the model I saw today in the store that's being discontinued. I made sure to specify my store location for accuracy and the website also listed the one I saw in store today and it was the same price on the website as well as in store with the remark of limited availability.

Is there a chance this refrigerator will be on clearance in the next couple weeks for more than the 10% coupon? Or should I act now before the new models come in? I'm assuming the online price of the new model will be the same as the in-store price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I have bou8ght some things this way and its a judgement call. The fact is that if they only have two it may be gone every soon.I once bought a 17HP air compressor that was liike 1/4 price in the bargain area. it had a coupkle of missing parts that were moionor which I repalsed easily. I also bought a very expensive door handle for a screen door that was like $45.00 new and got it off baragin table for 15.00 that was perfect for what i was lookig for.That is teh thing about such bargains ;someone else will see it and they are gone when it gets to two to three IMO.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Haggle with them. The wife wanted a small dorm refrigerator for her office. We went to Lowe's, and she saw one she wanted. Last one was the display, and I asked for a discount because it wasn't in a box, dirty (not really), and he knocked $30 off. Then when he was getting it off the display, he lifted by the door misalignment it a bit. I told him I could live with that for another $30 off, at which point he had to go ask someone.

The shelf edge price was $119.99, and I paid $59.99. Before unloading it off my truck at the wife's office, I took a screwdriver, loosened the hinge and realigned door.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Haggle with them. The wife wanted a small dorm refrigerator for her office. We went to Lowe's, and she saw one she wanted. Last one was the display, and I asked for a discount because it wasn't in a box, dirty (not really), and he knocked $30 off. Then when he was getting it off the display, he lifted by the door misalignment it a bit. I told him I could live with that for another $30 off, at which point he had to go ask someone.

The shelf edge price was $119.99, and I paid $59.99. Before unloading it off my truck at the wife's office, I took a screwdriver, loosened the hinge and realigned door.

We must think alot, yes i haggle and a lot. We did that with some chandeliers that were on clearance in front of the store, i just kept on driving the salesperson crazy, where he came down a whopping $60.00 and i purchased 2. It depends on how badly you are wanting the item. It will be marked down until it sells, but the thing is, so much of the time, they only have just a couple of items. Some of the markdowns, you really need to pay attnetion to, sometimes they have blemishes, or minor imperfections, that is why sometimes the markdowns. $300.00 IS a saving, but compare it to the newer model, and see where the difference lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products