Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:34 PM

550 posts, read 2,824,853 times

Advertisements

I just got a phone call from a guy asking me if I would like to spend $60 to send a few kids to a play in October. I said "no thankyou, I have kids of my own to support right now." He then asked if I wanted to spend the $60 to take my family. I again said "no, but thanks anyways." He then slammed the phone down in my ear.

Am I not allowed to say no without being treated rudely? This happened once before so I phoned the girl back and gave her crap for being so rude to me. I asked her if it was okay for me to say no in my own home! I didn't ask her to phone me.

My husband likes to tell the person to hang on and then see how long they will stay on the line for. One guy held on for 6 minutes! I can't stand phone solicitors but also don't have the guts to do something like that. I actually feel bad for the guy on the other end of the line!

I guess I am too soft.

I get average of 5 calls a day from people wanting money, clothes, or lately a whole slew of banks keep calling.

Oh yes, the other thing that makes me SO MAD is when the bank asks for my husband. I say no, can I help you, I am his wife. They say no they have to talk to him. When I tell them a good time to call, by their request (he works a lot of hours so isn't here a lot) they never do call at the times I tell them. They keep calling at the same time every other day and refuse to talk to me. When they say "we will call back" I am starting to say "no you WON'T!" I know that doesn't do anything but it makes me feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM

800 posts, read 4,296,808 times
How timely! I just had a call yesterday. I was home sick, so was trying to be loving and patient. Well, it was related to protecting yourself from fraud and paying some money for credit reports. I kept saying no, I regularly check my credit reports, etc. Well, the caller kept telling me that I could be one of the 10 million Americans who suffer from identity fraud yearly. I said, no, I never will be. He said in a rude way, what makes you think you won't? I said something like, "Well, [insert caller's name], I don't believe I will. It is not my intention to attract that and I don't dwell on fraud because I like to believe in the Law of Attraction. Plus, I ask the angels to protect all of my assets, property, etc. So, it's really not a problem."

Hee hee! There was silence on the other end for a bit and well, he thanked me for my time...

I still giggle about this...my bad, I know.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM

550 posts, read 2,824,853 times
Yay!! That makes me giggle! It is amazing how bad they can make me feel. (I can hear my mom right now, "no one can make you feel any way!") Yeah well, when they are rude they make me feel bad! Sorry ma.

Maybe I will try your approach next time.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
1-800 No Calls; registry means these idiots have to stop calling. It is a Federal Law.

The only time they can call is if you are a debtor/ obviously your mortgage or Visa card. We have had no harassment since being on the no-call list. I have the guts to be rude- you should see how these people act (I manage a call center for Bank of Am)

Also go to your state website. They are not allowed to call you once you submit your name.

sunny

Old 06-06-2007, 03:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,867,365 times
Yep the Do Not Call List is very easy to use and I’ve stopped all my un-solicited calls from coming to the home and the cell phones. Yep,,, the cell phone numbers that have never been given out to solicitors will soon be. There was a time when if you didn’t have a number in the white pages no one ever called but those days are over and the cell phone companies found that they can make some extra some by selling the numbers to other marketing groups.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

The link above is to the national don’t call list, and it’s easy to fill out in under four minutes.

As for when I do get some annoyance type call (because they just go through every number in sequence) I like to tell them I’ll get the owner of the home and set the phone down off hook while they can hear the TV or radio on in the background of noise and talking. Every five minutes or so I’ll pick it up and tell them to hold a little longer that the owner in coming in from outside to take the call. I did have one guy who stayed on the line for 20 minutes and then dropped off.

Another trick is to answer the call and even though you hear them say “hello hello is anyone there? I can’t hear you – hello hello” guess they try to fix things on their end but can’t figure it out.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,526 times
Begin talking as though, and making them think they'd dialed a 1-900 number or TV Evangelistic funds recruiter

Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,933,518 times
When I know it's a tele-marketer, I do wierd things. I chew on chips or gum loudly. I speak different accents. I speak loudly telling 'em that I'm elderly and I can not hear. I ask them if they sell products or do service for removing large blood stains in the carpet. But, the best one is when I speak as a Sothern Baptist preacher. Everyone in the room leave because they can't help but laugh loudly.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,600,702 times
This is an account of an incident that occurred waaaay back in the 70's. I was working for my father, a homebuilder, at his garage office in one of the model homes. It was a particularly busy day for him as he was lining up subcontractors for a couple of new construction starts he had coming up.

He got a phone call from a solicitor selling newspaper subscriptions. Well, Dad did not want to listen to the sales pitch and said 'No, not interested, this is a business not a residence.' in the middle of the guy's first sentence and without waiting for a response flashed the receiver hook to make another call. Much to his surprise the solicitor was still on the line. He pressed the hook for a few seconds and what do you know? the solicitor was still there. The salesman then made the mistake of telling my Dad that he was on a rotary phone system and my Dad could not get a tone until he released the line so he would just have to listen to the salespitch.

Dad released his Irish temper over the phone in the form of every curse word I have ever heard, before and since, until the poor salesman disconnected the line out of self preservation.

Several hours later, when my Dad had finished his business calls, he called the newspaper up and explained that a very nice young man had called him earlier regarding a subscription but he had been too busy to sign up and asked if they could transfer him back to him. The operator gave my dad the solicitor's direct line so that he could call him back to sign up.

That poor guy's phone line was busy with my dad dialing him and cursing him out repeatedly for the remainder of the business day. Oddly, he never got another call from any newspaper solicitors from that day on. I wonder why?

That kiddies, is the real reason we have Do Not Call lists now....to protect the salesfolk from my dad.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
We put our cells and house phone on the do not call list, and that stopped a lot of the calls, BUT our credit card company still calls to tell us about this new __________ (fill in the blank with whatever)! We repeatedly ask them not to call, we're happy with what we've got, and that works--until the next month! If they call anytime that could be dinnertime, I ask them for their home number and tell them I'll be sure and call them back at dinnertime to let them know if I'm interested.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
I am sitting here laughing at some of these and can relate to many. My dh also tells them to hang on a sec and sits the phone down. It works I guess cause when I check it, there is no one on the line.

I work from home, and hate to be called by teles. There are times when I just say not interested and if they keep on, I tell them to hang on, I am working and need to do this or that, then proceed to finish my work. THey are gone when I check phone again.

Lately, I have been getting computer voice calls stating that this call is from someone we do business with and we need to call so and so number and give ref number, no name and no defination of what the call is about. I got tired of the same one and yesterday called them, the lady told me her company name and said I needed to speak with so and so, I politely but very firmly told her I didn't need to speak with anyone, that if it was so important, AN ACTUAL PERSON WOULD HAVE TO CALL ME AND TELL ME WHAT HE/SHE WANTS. No calls today.

SOmetimes my older son answers, oh boy, he can be a drunk person one day, an elderly gentleman the next and a local yokle redneck the next. It is too funny. One evening, after getting said call, he turned the tables and started asking the tele questions, like, What's your name? Where do you live? What cha doing? Do you want a cat? My grand dad is old, is yours? Funny stuff like that, they usually hang up quickly.

I have even went the genteel southern lady act. Where are you calling from? OH, I have always wanted to go there, is it pretty? Anything to do? Well what is the weather like? It's hot as h*** here so a cooler climate sounds lovely. What hotels do you recommend. Usually, they tell me they must go. It's quite funny.

I did follow the Ann Landers advice once too. After they asked how I was, I proceeded to tell them. It had been a bad day, and I told them all about it. They quickly got off the phone. Now, i stay so busy, I just interupt them with a not interested and hang up the phone. Curt, ugly, yes but I feel they have invaded my privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products