Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Many shop lifters are thrill seekers more than anything else.
Indeed!
Oddest thing I think I've ever seen lifted was someone that stole a bottle of Hibicleanse, a medicated wash that leaves a red stain. They took the wash but left the empty bottle behind.
I think the OP is lucky the police weren't called. We call the police on almost all of our shoplifters, and we can usually back it up with videotape. Why risk your reputation, maybe a criminal record, over something as petty as shoplifting? Are people just not embarrassed by the stigma any more?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
My daughter used to work at Nordstrom, and the shoplifting there is totally out of control. Nordstrom has a very liberal return policy, and that has caused certain "entrepreneurs" to create a very elaborate professional shoplifting ring. Some of the participants steal the merchandise and others return it for refunds. And it's the rest of us that end up paying for it as the retailers jack up the prices to cover their losses. I agree; the OP is very lucky that the police weren't called. And I am skeptical that this was her first time stealing. First time being caught, maybe.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
How did you get caught? Its really not that hard to steal stuff. I bet I could pull it off-- but then again I pay for my stuff.

Good luck to you. I know a lot people enjoy the rush of stealing something, rich and poor. I hope you learned from errors.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
And what was the reason? What was going on in your head when you were going out of the store with the goods? "I can't possibly afford these as we only make $130,000" ? Could you tell us what made you do that? Does your husband control all the finances? Just for the thrill? Was it the first time, really?
I bet it was just the first time NYC1 got caught, assuming she actually stole something. Wonder what her husband's reaction was.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
And what was the reason? What was going on in your head when you were going out of the store with the goods? "I can't possibly afford these as we only make $130,000" ? Could you tell us what made you do that? Does your husband control all the finances? Just for the thrill? Was it the first time, really?
makes ya wonder don't it. I live just under the poverty level yet the only thing I ever stole was a few peices of bubble bum which my mother quickly marched my little tush right back to the store, appologize and pay for with my own money ( to a wee brat that was horror) not to forget the awarding punishment there after once we got back home again.

and she is worried it will go on her record? HA!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
hi, i know this is a shame but i've been caught stealing at sephora worth up to $500 merchandise. i am 28 and i've never done this before. i did it 'cause i need to sell on ebay. anyway, will this go into my criminal record?
i got caught and they took my driver's license and jot down on the paper and they're sending the paper work to their lawyer.
then, after that, they gave me this civil demand notice letter and then, i was let go...
what happens after this? will i be going to court???
please helpppppppppppppppppppp
Did you think you weren't going to be caught or spotted in a place like Sephora? What were you thinking? oh yeah you weren't

My daughter and her little friend tried stealing lipgloss when they were like 8 and I was called to go pick her up from RITE AID imagine a big famous store like Sephora you weren't afraid?

Good Luck to you. If the cops didn't come they probably not going to file charges against you but most likely yes you would have to go to court and pay a fine if you can't afford to do that then you might have to go spent some time in jail.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
c'mon now - jail time for stealing $500 from a private entity? - no thanks, i'd rather see community service where they can actually add some benefit instead of draining the tax base even further

as to the specific post at hand - it sounds like they are wanting to settle this at a civil level

they have a right for both a civil and criminal action - the fact they didn't call the police and you haven't been arrested for a crime is a key component

i'd definitely talk to a lawyer and cooperate with the store - if you can get out with just a civil penalty you are lucky - however, I would make sure that by agreeing to pay restitution that you are not admitting guilt and that the store waives the right for criminal prosecution

consider yourself lucky and don't be a thief - that way you wouldn't even have to worry about such dramatics
$500 worth of items is in some states a felony. Anything over a certain dollar amount is a felony, and it varies by state, and most of the laws were written when $500 or whatever the amount was a lot more money...

Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
so ..... it doesn't make it any less insane

a lot of our laws for crime/punishment are pretty archaic

but that's cool, well just make some more prisons, keep adding expense and if all else fails cut some time off the sentences of murderers and rapists ........ at least then we can be tough on crime

i'd much rather see non-violent offenders, such as shoplifters, repay their debt to society instead of drain resources ........ put them to work, clean trash, paint over graffiti, publish their names in the paper, make it a long term commitment ....... but at least get something of value out of the expense

Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
People who can afford they items they lift do it for the thrill or for attention.

People who post about their crimes probably also do it for the thrill or the attention...
I hope jail time is involved.
That might stop the behavior.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Shoplifting items with a value over $250 is a FELONY. Yes, this will have a criminal record once this goes to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products