Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Of course... but if I want something cheap and disposable I would buy at Walmart... if I wanted something that would last I wouldn't. You'll end up replacing things bought from Walmart more times than if you simply bought the nicer product at the higher price.
Your thesis looses any credibility when you can buy the very same product at Wal-Mart for significantly less than at other stores.

Example: we where shopping for a new coffee maker and found a model we liked at multiple stores. $69 everywhere we looked, but we found it at Wal-Mart for $49.

Oh yea, a case of Bud at Wal-Mart was 11.49, while grocery stores sell it for 15.99. Evil evil Wal-Mart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh yea, a case of Bud at Wal-Mart was 11.49, while grocery stores sell it for 15.99. Evil evil Wal-Mart
Um, what does the reduced price have to do with questionable buisness practices?

If someone steals a stereo from someone else, they can sell it for a lot cheaper than Best Buy, how is it better that Wal Mart practices things like I mentioned earlier with smaller suppliers and also seeks to outsource whatever it can, nationally and (here's the important part) internationally, in order to save you $10 here or $20 there?

Look, I am not saying that I object to price-hunting, but to exaggerate for the purpose of illustration, if I found out a company was getting cheaper prices because they beat babies, I would think more than twice about ever going there.

WalMart certainly does not smack around a bunch of toddlers, but it does have rather domineering and locally debilitating buisness practices that have crippled smaller neighborhood economies.

As for Bud? Ewwwww! I wouldn't pay $2 a case for that!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

...if I found out a company was getting cheaper prices because they beat babies, I would think more than twice about ever going there...
I wouldn't hesitate to shop there.

Unless I was shopping for babies.

In that case, I would shop where they sold unbeaten ones.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
walmart kmart of its age, its the bottom line shopping place.
if you got cash to burn you go somewhere else to do recreational shopping.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to shop there.

Unless I was shopping for babies.

In that case, I would shop where they sold unbeaten ones.
They also do not make good places for cold cuts or sausages.

But don't take my word for it, YMMV.

Kinderschnitzel men Herr?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM

In all seriousness though, this is a big issue.

WIth todays international markets, people have to be aware not only of how much money they are spending, but where that money is going.

I am not trying to get the bandwagon going for "American Made" craap. God forbid, we produce some of the most overpriced peices of garbage out there and somehow think that national pride will keep people buying something that is not only more expensive than its Chinese counterpart, but does not work as well either!

What I AM saying is that if there is a way you could spend that extra dollar here, or 50¢ there, it might do the world a bit of good. Don't think that it will solve the worlds problems by any means, but if the power of the free market is in the hands of the consumer, the consumer has to stop sucking on the exhaust pipe before he goes shopping.....

Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Your thesis looses any credibility when you can buy the very same product at Wal-Mart for significantly less than at other stores.

Example: we where shopping for a new coffee maker and found a model we liked at multiple stores. $69 everywhere we looked, but we found it at Wal-Mart for $49.

It's not the same product. Except in the Case of foodstuffs and whatnot (although, you'd NEVER catch me drinking Bud..gross). What happens is a brand name will use cheaper parts so they can sell to Walmart at a reduced price and still make a profit. The product is shifty and absolutely will not work as well, even though they may look similar to their higher priced counterparts.

I had this happen with an Oster brand toaster I purchased a long time ago, before I gave walmart the boot. The toaster broke, we took it apart (my mom had purchased the same one before, at a different store and it worked great) and compared the parts. Even though they looked the same on the outside, the insides were very very different. The one sold at walmat was flimsly, the cord was cheaper etc etc.

I havn't stepped foot in a walmart for over 5 years.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
You mean the Chinese counterpart that is less expensive but supports a government that violates many human rights and is less expensive because the factories are not held to the same environmental or safety standards as companies manufacturing here in the US? Why is WalMart evil but China and US companies sending their manufacturing jobs over there to avoid more stringent laws are ok?

Quote:
I am not trying to get the bandwagon going for "American Made" craap. God forbid, we produce some of the most overpriced peices of garbage out there and somehow think that national pride will keep people buying something that is not only more expensive than its Chinese counterpart, but does not work as well either!

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-10-2009 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I don't shop at WM for several reasons.

My time is valuable. If I'm going to a store, I'm going to one that is pleasant to shop at, has an easy, attractive layout, sales people who will help me and speak English and a pleasant clientele. The WM in my area have none of that. I'd RATHER pay a little more and go to Target, or even better, order on line from the comfort of my office.

On another note, I don't care for WM business practices, especially having to do with city tax abatements (strong arming cities and getting tax breaks that smaller businesses don't get), their level of charitable giving and their opposition to unions.

I would only go to WM under extreme duress.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I understand the anti-Walmart sentiment - to an extent. What I guess I have a hard time with is when people hold retail to one standard but don't seem to have a problem with the manufacturers. If one is truly concerned about global issues as the pp inferred, why stop with being concerned with local business practices? How is allowing/supporting polution in China or 3rd world countries ok as long as you purchase the product in a store that allows unions? FWIW, I found it interesting that this past year's Democratic National Convention was held in the Pepsi Center in Denver - a non-union facility owned by....Stan Kroenke who is married to Wal-Mart heir Anne Walton....it seems that it's easy to have principles as long as it's convenient....BTW not judging as I have owned up to shopping at WalMart - just sayin'.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products