Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
E-cigs worked for me, got me off a 3 pack a day habit, and my old man quit smoking with them too. If you are thinking of trying them avoid the el-cheapo ones you get at the gas station or the flea market, and get a good one. I progressed through a spectrum of hardware until I arrived at what I find satisfying and enjoyable. I wish I'd not spent all that money on lesser hardware.
I was also a heavy smoker for over 30 years and tried literally countless times to quit. Like you, the gas station e-cigs were unsatisfying and expensive compared to a better PV (personal vaporiser.) Once I settled on hardware and flavors that I liked, I quit smoking effortlessly. Last cigarette was April 2012.

I'm also slowly weaning myself down on the nicotine concentration in the juice (I don't use pre-filled cartridges.)

The other electronic cigarette thread currently running on this forum has quite a few links to various products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I was also a heavy smoker for over 30 years and tried literally countless times to quit. Like you, the gas station e-cigs were unsatisfying and expensive compared to a better PV (personal vaporiser.) Once I settled on hardware and flavors that I liked, I quit smoking effortlessly. Last cigarette was April 2012.
Thank you for that. There is a Circle K gas station and convenience store 200 ft. from me, and they sell those el-cheapo brands of e-cigs. They tell me they sell a lot of them. I hope those buying them realize there is a better way, like I did, instead of just pitching them and going back to cigarettes.

Around here I see more and more people vaping in public, and on better equipment than those gas station e-cigs, so I am hopeful that others will progress to be better vaping gear as it gets more exposure in public here, though unfortunately some establishments have banned vaping at their stores, including Starbucks, which has lost my business until they reverse this short sighted and ignorant policy.

I was told there that I could not vape outside at a table a good distance from the building, because of complaints by other customers.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,132 times
I do not think there is a law against vaping (YET)! Anybody know for sure?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
The U.S. Department of Transportation recently said it interprets the federal regulations that prohibit smoking on airplanes to apply to e-cigarettes.

Several state and local governments have also enacted laws that restrict the sale or use of e-cigarettes. For example, New Jersey law restricts the use of e-cigarettes in workplaces and other indoor public places, and prohibits the sale of e-cigarettes to minors The states of Colorado, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Tennessee, as well as Washington State’s King, Spokane, and Tacoma Counties, are also examples of jurisdictions that prohibit the sale of e-cigarettes to minors.[1]which is understandable but they should do the same with caffeine.
Dont know why I talked to two doctors and ask if it was safe and both said yes except it is nicotine.

I appreciate I brought this topic to life (merged with a dead thread) There so many components.
I yet have lost another rechargeable ( I gotta stop taking them out of the house and putting it in my pocket.)

I was about to purchase from one of the above recommendations. I had my battery picked out it was purple so was the clearomizer. I also picked out my case and liquid my total came out to around 60. I backed out on thought of waiting on shipping, especially on refills.

I went to a tobacco shop nearby, they carry Cherokee .. yuck.
The lady said they will start carrying all the liquid e-vaping. I bought a couple of Mistic disposables that come in 2.4% which is good around here as most carry around 1.8%
They look good and come in what I need a carrying box lol.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I was about to purchase from one of the above recommendations. I had my battery picked out it was purple so was the clearomizer. I also picked out my case and liquid my total came out to around 60. I backed out on thought of waiting on shipping, especially on refills.

Elite Vaporworks KGO Starter Kit with eVod Cartomizer - KGO
or (cheaper cartos),
Elite Vaporworks KGO Starter Kit with Boge LR Cartomizers - KGO

That's the price out the door, free shipping. Two batteries, cartos, plus a decent-sized bottle of juice. I've been using KGO batteries since April 2012 and a single battery lasts 3-8 months. I probably posted the link before to another place that sells them for $12.95 each. That's SO much cheaper in the long run than disposables!!

I've never bought a case and would have no use for one, personally.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM

102 posts, read 168,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I do not think there is a law against vaping (YET)! Anybody know for sure?
They've been trying for years haven't they. Now that the financial numbers are up, the states are scampering to tax them like cigarette smokes. It doesn't make sense. In fact, it will deter smokers from quitting/switching because of the cost. They win their smoke tax, we die. Unless we fight.
Here is the latest summary of what is going on with our State Atttorney Generals.

Last July, the ecig age restriction bill was turned down, dismissed, by the AG's. The AG.s called it a Trojan horse.
E-cig bill called a

Since then, the states discovered the ecig industry is now doing billion dollar sales, while the tobacco cigarette are declining.
Holy End Run! Attorneys General Urge Action As E-Cigarettes Gain Market Share - Forbes

A summary
Controversial e-cigarette bill moves forward | The Columbus Dispatch

It's all about the money.

P.s. How to fight? Join CASAA.org and other Tobacco Harm Reduction groups you find.
Fight with educated facts, let them know the truths. The more we research, the more we learn.

For instance, the NZ study showed that over 6 months time, the ecig users were enthusiastic about switching over from smoking. Even the ones with placebo zero percent nicotine did remarkable. Had they been given better set ups (old little 510 were used I believe). And higher nicotine levels, plus enough to get them through the 6 months duration test, the success rate would have been phenomenal instead of "a little better than the patch".

It is not a smoking cessation or therapeutic device, it is a safer alternative to smoking. Most people,accidentally quit smoking, because they prefer the Flavors and entire concept friendlier to their bodies than smoking.

Last edited by Eras; 09-26-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 04:23 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,132 times
I appreciate you taking the time and posting the latest news! I will join CASAA ASAP !!! Yea its always about money and as usual its our money!!!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 AM

62 posts, read 81,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
OK, I have a question for you.....you quit smoking but you went to an e cig - so technically, you are still a smoker. The e cigs still pack nicotine but in a non-smoky way. So actually - you're still smoking. I quit smoking in November of 2011 after 30+ years and I still miss it (badly I admit). I used Chantix and went through 2 cycles of it. I can't fathom using an e-cig as I think I would be buying the real deal eventually - and I don't want to do that again. Why not really stop and quit the e-cigs as well? You may have lost the one on the lawn mower for a reason!!!

I apologize for not having an answer to your original question - but I'm just curious - not trying to be snarky, judgmental, or anything like that - just really curious.
Maybe I can help clear up your confusion. Although nicotine is highly addictive, it is a naturally occurring substance in many common plants - including potatoes and tomatoes. It is not a carcinogenic, does not cause adverse health issues if used judiciously. It IS possible to overdose on nicotine, resulting in nicotine poisoning, just as it is possible to overdose on alcohol, and many OTC medications.

Nicotine does have certain health benefits - it is an antidepressant, anti-anxiety, and antihistamine, and some studies have shown it to assist in concentration and task focus. I have been using e-cigarettes since March 15, 2013 due to emphysema and sarcoidosis. I wear a pulse/oxygen monitor at times, and there is no reduction in my oxygen level or heart rate during or after 15 puffs on an e-cigarette.

HOWEVER: IT IS NOT A SAFE PRODUCT FOR PREGNANT WOMEN OR NURSING MOTHERS!!! Infants will absorb the nicotine through the mothers bloodstream and milk.

One other note - All electronic cigarette components are made in China. Pre-filled cartridges contain e-liquid made in china. The majority of vendors all sell the exact same device, but have their own logo stamped on the product and packaging. Many quality e-liquids are made in the USA, but one still needs to do some research before purchasing.

peep

Old 10-04-2013, 11:16 AM

62 posts, read 81,572 times
Quote:
P.s. How to fight? Join CASAA.org and other Tobacco Harm Reduction groups you find.
Fight with educated facts, let them know the truths. The more we research, the more we learn.
I strongly agree! Anti-tobacco/smoking groups continually refer to vapor nicotine products as "tobacco products" which is biased and deliberate propaganda. It also provides a false basis to tax the products the same as cigars, cigarettes, pipe tobacco, etc.

If Nicotine patches, gum and lozenges are promoted and prescribed as a smoking cessation aid, so should e-cigarettes and liquid nicotine for vaporizing purposes.

I welcome FDA regulation on the safety and accuracy of the e-liquid industry, but we need to make sure that it is regulated fairly and independently from special interest groups.
peep

Old 02-22-2014, 10:25 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,847 times
I've had good luck with Blu and Mistic- unless you are a heavy smoker addicted to making clouds of smoke, I don't see why they wouldn't be a good alternative. 80 percent of e-cigs are the small, cigarette-like variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products