Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times

Advertisements

I lost my ATM and waiting for my bank to issue me a new one. So, I'm writing checks. I go to my local grocery store and purchased several items and wrote the check over $20 for cash back. I didn't realize it under after I came home that I didn't receive my $20. I look at the receipt, and it only showed the amount of my purchase. So, I go back to the store, they see my check, still in the register, and had me change the amount of my original check and then I wrote a check for $20. They were very nice, but said I should tell them in the future that I want cash back.

Shouldn't they look at the check and see what the amount I wrote was??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,639 times
As much as I can't stand Wal-Mart, they actually do, do this. Well... The ones here do. They must like their just above minimum wage jobs.

But yes, they should check them, most of them are too lazy to do so.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
Stupid is as stupid does...be thankful the cashier didn't claim he / she gave you the cash back! Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Stupid is as stupid does...be thankful the cashier didn't claim he / she gave you the cash back! Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed.
The endorsement on the back of the check showed the amount of my purchase, so she wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But my theory is they should check the amount of the check vs the amount of the purchase. It's pretty simple. They're just too busy talking to other cashiers and not paying attention. She actually thanked me and said it would have caused her alot of problems ..........

Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
I get it Paula, I was being sarcastic. I'm just saying the older I get, the less I expect. When I go to the store and give the cashier $22.63 (one twenty, two ones and .63) for a $10.63 purchase, he or she looks confused, tells me I gave them too much money, when all I want is a ten back, I want to pull all the precious little hair out of my head.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Default Yes...

they SHOULD look at the check, to see, if the amount is sufficient. Also, if the check is signed.
No matter what you write your check out to (exact amount or over), it has to be accounted for. Cash registers get counted every couple of hours, and it better balances out. If they are "short", they have to wait until it is recounted, several times, if needed.
Yes, people are right to a certain extent that cashiers sometimes talk to much, and don't know math to well.
But, for as little as supermarkets pay up front.....what did you expect????
I KNOW what to expect, stay cool and I make sure I AM PAYING ATTENTION! Seems to work better this way...lol........

Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 AM

FOLLOW UP

I called the store manager and told him my concern and the response from the cashier. Think about it, I could have bought $100 worth of groceries and wrote $1.00 on the check - and I told him that.

He agreed, and was not happy with the cashiers response. He's going to post a memo to all personnel (not directed to one person) to remind them to look at all checks. They could lose alot of money that way.

Moral of the Story --- check your receipt before leaving. I hate shopping and I'm always in too much of a hurry to leave. I think I'm a bit too careless and I really should be more aware.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:38 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
The root of the problem has nothing to do with the groceries, the check, or the amounts or the clerk.
It just seems that in today's society, everyone is looking for someone else to blame or put the burden on. No one holds themselves accountable anymore. It almost is to the point that is doesn't even pay to voice your complaint, no one cares anyway.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Yes, the cashier should look. But try to remember, many cashiers are high school students or very uneduated people who are working long hours for little pay, and get hassled all day by grumpy people looking for anyone to yell at...it's not an excuse for laziness, but mistakes can and will happen. I've had that happen several times but fortunately I have realized it before getting too far.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I get it Paula, I was being sarcastic. I'm just saying the older I get, the less I expect. When I go to the store and give the cashier $22.63 (one twenty, two ones and .63) for a $10.63 purchase, he or she looks confused, tells me I gave them too much money, when all I want is a ten back, I want to pull all the precious little hair out of my head.
Thank you = you're great. Tried to give you a rep point, but they wouldn't let me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products