Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM

460 posts, read 3,547,333 times

Advertisements

Of course a lot depends on the parents values and maybe some can't bare the thought of having their kids driving modest cars which might reflect bad on THEIR image while other families take pride in teaching their kids valuable lessons like 'You get a nice car when you can afford one'. So it depends, people have different value systems.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Many of my friends got their parents' old cars when they got their licenses. That included mid 90s model Lexuses. Don't really know what the big deal is- even buying a Lexus from 95 is probably cheaper than a newer model Honda Civic.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 AM

82 posts, read 377,695 times
when i was 17, i drove a volvo and my brother drove some other fancy cars too...
i odnt' think it sends out any wrong messages.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Should a 17 y/o old drive a luxury car? Not my teen, but a local kid who takes his kid brother to the same sports practice as my son and I see him regularly tooling about in his luxury vehicle. He burns rubber leaving the lot, drive backwards at 30 miles an hour, etc.

Yeah the car is older, but something about this is hankering at me. Of course its really none of my business . But doesn't driving this car send out the wrong message? At 17 a Lexus, then what's next a Bentley at 19?

Granted this kid is NOT the only one. But this is my first experience witnessing this up close, instead of a passing glance while driving past the high school parking lot.
Who cares what someone else's kid drives? As long as he's properly insured, and is a respectable driver...whatever.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:40 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
I see lots of young ppl driving luxury or NEW cars. Sometimes it amazes me. My ex for example drives a 2008 Scion...yea a 20k car, but up until I was 26 I never had a car worth much, or new. I trip out when I see a young person driving a 2003 BMW or a 2009 Mazda...but w.e. Their reasons will all be different and maybe they have a $500 car payment. I could have got a 30k car and had a higher payment, but I wanted a reliable and economical car. When I was younger I had older Chevys and spent A LOT on them. To me working on cars was fun. Now, perhaps kids would rather buy a new or newer luxury car and be done with it, to impress. A lot of variables.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Should a 17 y/o old drive a luxury car? Not my teen, but a local kid who takes his kid brother to the same sports practice as my son and I see him regularly tooling about in his luxury vehicle. He burns rubber leaving the lot, drive backwards at 30 miles an hour, etc.

Yeah the car is older, but something about this is hankering at me. Of course its really none of my business . But doesn't driving this car send out the wrong message? At 17 a Lexus, then what's next a Bentley at 19?

Granted this kid is NOT the only one. But this is my first experience witnessing this up close, instead of a passing glance while driving past the high school parking lot.
Should he drive a luxury car? That's up to the people who bought it for him.
If it's a non-issue for them, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. As others have mentioned, some teens will drive like maniacs regardless of the car their in so I wouldn't think twice about it.

Also consider what the car means to the individual. Maybe to you, you might consider this 'luxury' and think its outrageous for him to drive this car. Do you know the financial status of the family? It's an older car, right? So they probably passed down the old lexus to junior and daddy probably bought a new one for himself. In that case, it's not so much of a status symbol for this particular teenager. Obviously I don't know the situation but it's just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products